• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

Soldato
Titan was a freak card, a one off hopefully. I think Nvidia will set the msrp of the 780 to $599 in the states, here we will pay around £500-550. Can see it creeping higher if stock is very limited like it was with the titan.

No as the 770 is a re-badged 680.

If it's 599 over there, there's no way we'll pay less than 599 here unfortunately :(

Soldato
680 has a MSRP of $499 and we pay £400 here for it, if there is stock and no price gouging then I can see £500 happening. That to me is still way to much for a 3GB card, I think I would prefer a 7970Ghz at £330 with free games.

Soldato
They can take the biscuit because they know people will still buy them, it makes perfect sense from a business view.

It doesn't. Volume with less profit per item makes the most business sense.

This is why Titan is priced so high, because they know only certain types of people will buy it. It's not meant to be a volume part, and I don't think they've sold particularly well as gaming cards, but rather as a viable alternative for people who want K20X performance for significantly less money.

You can't really blame nVidia for the 7990's price either, that was AMD's choice, and whilst its price to performance ratio isn't anywhere near as bad as the Titan's, it's still not great. Granted you do get a load of games with it as well, but for the kind of price they're asking there really should be 6GB per GPU RAM and the cards clocked to at least 1050Mhz.

But anyone interested in 7990 performance has the option to pick up other 7990s for pretty much twice the price of a 7970 anyway.

Those 7990s occupy the area that the GTX690, whilst the price of the 690 isn't great, it's at least understandable in regards to the prices of 2x GTX680s, so they're not charging a silly money "premium" over two single cards.

These high end cards from both AMD and nVidia aren't really intended to represent volume parts though, they're the niche end, not to say that excuses or justifies the price, because it doesn't.

I don't consider these parts "enthusiast" parts either, which I've noticed a lot of people are using to justify the high prices. These are not enthusiast parts, they never will be. These are "throwing money at stuff" parts, and that's fine for those who want them, it's their money but let's not try to pretend they're high prices because it's enthusiast parts.

Enthusiast parts are parts that are generally high on the performance/value and overclock very well. That was generally the sort of product that kicked off the whole overclocking thing in the way it went off in the late 90s. Now the word enthusiast has just been misappropriated by people who feel they need to justify the silly prices that they are willing to throw at getting more FPS than anyone else, whilst also saying they don't feel that they should have to justify anything.

Soldato
680 has a MSRP of $499 and we pay £400 here for it, if there is stock and no price gouging then I can see £500 happening. That to me is still way to much for a 3GB card, I think I would prefer a 7970Ghz at £330 with free games.

Agreed, brand new 7970's can be had for £280 - £300, makes £500 GTX 780's seem ridiculous.

I will wait it out until a bargain crops up. Still interesting to watch the launch and speculate, just won't be buying them at £500 lol.

Soldato
If it's 599 over there, there's no way we'll pay less than 599 here unfortunately :(

It doesn't work like this, I don't know why people continue to say it does when history is not on their side.

If it's $599, that's firstly excluding any US sales tax (effectively VAT at a different rate), so a lot of people won't even be paying $599 anyway.

Secondly, $599 is £392 based on the current conversion, add VAT at 20% and you've got £470, not £599.

If there are any stores selling a $599 card at £599 it's because they are price gouging. That doesn't mean you wouldn't see any for their actual price, which is usually within a few percent of the American price at the current exchange rate with VAT added on.

So if the GTX 780 IS $599 then it'll be £460-£480.

And before you start referencing "rip off Britain", just go and check for yourself. Nearly all PC hardware sold in the UK is pretty much the same price as it is in the US with VAT added on, give or take a few percent.

Soldato
It doesn't work like this, I don't know why people continue to say it does when history is not on their side.

If it's $599, that's firstly excluding any US sales tax (effectively VAT at a different rate), so a lot of people won't even be paying $599 anyway.

Secondly, $599 is £392 based on the current conversion, add VAT at 20% and you've got £470, not £599.

If there are any stores selling a $599 card at £599 it's because they are price gouging. That doesn't mean you wouldn't see any for their actual price, which is usually within a few percent of the American price at the current exchange rate with VAT added on.

So if the GTX 780 IS $599 then it'll be £460-£480.

And before you start referencing "rip off Britain", just go and check for yourself. Nearly all PC hardware sold in the UK is pretty much the same price as it is in the US with VAT added on, give or take a few percent.

7970 was $549, got sold here in the UK for £475...i know that was over a year ago, can't remember what the exchange was but it's remained pretty stable at around £ = $1.50-1.60.

Soldato
7970 was $549, got sold here in the UK for £475...i know that was over a year ago, can't remember what the exchange was but it's remained pretty stable at around £ = $1.50-1.60.

That's about right really- that's the give or take part. They were available below £475 dependent on where you were shopping too.

Soldato
The reason the Titan is stupidly overpriced is because there will always be a small segment of the market which want the ABSOLUTE best card and have a lot of disposable income. This is who this card is aimed at so whilst the price is a bit silly for any normal consumer the people to blame really are the ones that buy them. If nobody bought them then they would be forced to put the prices down.

For everyone else you can just get a GTX670 or a 7950 and still be able to run every game fine but you wont have the peace of mind of ABSOLUTE best which clearly some people are willing to pay for.

Soldato
The reason the Titan is stupidly overpriced is because there will always be a small segment of the market which want the ABSOLUTE best card and have a lot of disposable income. This is who this card is aimed at so whilst the price is a bit silly for any normal consumer the people to blame really are the ones that buy them. If nobody bought them then they would be forced to put the prices down.

For everyone else you can just get a GTX670 or a 7950 and still be able to run every game fine but you wont have the peace of mind of ABSOLUTE best which clearly some people are willing to pay for.

But the Titan isn't the absolute best card. That's exactly why there do much debate over its price. The 690 and 7990 both offer greater performance.

Associate
If the 770's are more than £300 (which they likely will be), then it'll probably be just one 780 for me. However, I may downgrade my spec plan from the 3930K to a 3770K (or 4770K when Haswell launches) in order to accommodate for more graphics power - haven't decided yet, the 6 cores of the 3930K are tempting though...

Soldato

Why moan? Why are we to blame? People who can afford titans shouldn't feel bad for spending the money they earn. Your whole rant sinks of green eye

Soldato
Its not me who is moaning, I was merely explaining the reason for the pricing. I dont care because I would not spend that much on a GPU anyway.

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that the GTX 760 Ti is in fact a GTX 670? It will probably be higher clocked as well. A pair of them might actually work out best bang for buck from the 7XXX series...

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that the GTX 760 Ti is in fact a GTX 670? It will probably be higher clocked as well. A pair of them might actually work out best bang for buck from the 7XXX series...

This is a good point and with the currant 670 pretty much equal to a 7950, a 760ti could be slightly better for similar money, thus shifting the best bang for buck card over to the green team. :D

Soldato

wouldn't you be better off with a 690?

That's what I would go for if I wasn't tied to AMD right now.

Back
Top Bottom