• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

Man of Honour
As in the title

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31167-geforce-gtx-780-770-coming-in-may

GK110 and GK104

Nvidia is about to launch desktop Geforce GTX 700 series cards and this time the launch starts from the top down. The GTX 780 is set to replace the GTX 680 and the new card is based on the GK110 chip that we all know from Titan cards.

The chip is actually slower than Titan and is internally called Titan LE, which means that GTX 780 should end up slower than Titan cards. Our sources claim that the card should end up about 30 present faster than the GTX 680 and the launch date is expected by the end of May. This means the card comes very close to Computex, the biggest computer trade show in Asia that kicks off on June 4th.

The runner up is continuing the naming tradition and is simply named Geforce GTX 770. It is based on a new GK104 – 425 improved 28nm core. The current GTX 680 has the GK104-400-A2 core, and the 425 implies some slight optimisation and changes.

The GTX 770 stays loyal to the Kepler architecture and just like with the GTX 680, we can expect one cluster less compared to GTX 670. Performance wise the card should be between 20 and 25 percept faster than the GTX 670. The launch is expected in mid May.

The real next generation has now been shifted to Geforce GTX 800 series, in case Nvidia continues the same naming tradition and it is going to be based on Maxwell. This new GPU promises a huge leap forward with capability of more than twice the Giga Flops per watt than Kepler. Maxwell has been pushed to 2014, but we don’t know the exact date.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm it's an awkward one, the performance gaps are fairly tight at the top, slower then a titan but faster then a 680 puts it, what, 10-15% faster then a 7970?

Oh well, maybe it will give AMD a kick up the bum to get the 8000 series released.

If they start turning the GTX 780 out at the same price point as the GTX 680, this could really push AMD to take action.

Man of Honour
OP
And I was just about to buy a 7950... I hate technology sometimes. Hopefully it comes out these cards are expensive and not that much a gain, 7950 will be worth going for XD Going to stick with the idea of selling after a year now anyway, only possibility of keeping up.

A HD 7950 will still be a good buy, the worst that can happen is the GTX 7 series knocks a few quid off of the price of the GTX 670/80 which the HD 7950 can beat/match in performance anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, if it is 30% faster than the GTX 680 then its only 10% to 15% slower than the GTX Titan

Some how i also think its not going to be half the price, i think we will be looking at a solid 600 Sterling.

I think the actual performance between the two will be around 7 or 8% (13 SMX v 14 SMX units).

I can imagine these forums in a few months time "don't buy a Titan, get a GTX 780 and overclock it up to or beyond Titan performance."

What that does for the price who knows, but I think it won't be good.

Man of Honour
OP
What if you're still on a 480? Would a 770 be a good upgrade?

I would not even give it any thought until we see some performance and price numbers.

I think the GTX 780 is going to be the interesting card if they get the price right. The performance could be a lot closer to the Titan than some of the numbers being quoted at the moment. The GTX 780 uses about 7 or 8% less active silicon on the GK110 and 1 Gb less vram, both of these things also make it a little easier to overclock. The performance difference be the Titan and 780 could be as little as 5%, for the right price a bargain.

Man of Honour
OP
Rebranded 600 series, faster than predecessors

Our sources were happy to share some additional details about Nvidia’s upcoming cards. It turns out that the GTX 760 Ti, the slowest of the bunch, is based on the GK104 225 chip. The GTX 750 Ti has a 256-bit memory interface and in reality represents a rebranded GTX 670. It looks dangerously similar to existing GTX 670 boards.

Add-in-board partners expect to start selling this card in the third week or June and they will be able to make their own custom cards. We don’t know much about performance but we expect it to be around GTX 670 levels. The Geforce GTX 770 is based on a somewhat faster GK 104 425 chip, again a 256-bit unit, and our sources are telling us that the card is more or less a GTX 680 renamed for 2013. Nvidia will allow AIBs to manufacture their original boards but the cooling solution on the card looks like the one from GTX Titan.

The cooler better known as NVTTM cooling fan will let this chip clock higher than GTX 680 and should deliver at least a five percent performance boost over the GTX 680. The card is expected in the first week of June. The fastest of them all, based on the huge GK110 chip is the Geforce GTX 780. The card also shares a 256-bit memory buss and is based on GTX Titan LE. The first cards come as Nvidia direct boards and will be directly supplied to partners.

Nvidia will make these cards at first as it wants to control the quality and make sure nothing goes wrong in the manufacturing process. The card was supposed to launch on May 23rd but out sources now insist that it might show a week earlier on the May 16th, but we will try to find out which of these two dates is right.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31286-gtx-760-ti-770-780-detailed

Man of Honour
OP
Small error which people dont seem to have picked up on. The 750 Ti is a typo and should be 760Ti like they had said the sentence before.

The fastest of them all, based on the huge GK110 chip is the Geforce GTX 780. The card also shares a 256-bit memory buss and is based on GTX Titan LE.

I am also pretty sure they have got this wrong, I can not see a 256-bit memory bus coping with a GK110 chip.

Man of Honour
OP
Well considering anything above a GTX660 right now has terribad price/performance ratio, I wouldn't hold your hopes up for 770/780 being cost effective XD

They are just premium products aimed at people who have the money to afford the best, and don't care about cost effectiveness.

I can understand the Titan being overpriced as it is all about out and out performance, but if the cards below it are also overpriced I really do hope people go over to AMD to get much better value for money.

Man of Honour
OP
670's would unlock to 1.212v maximum though?

The GTX 770 is (rumored) stock 1.3v, I'm confident it'll be clocked much higher out the box, and more overclocking potential, that will be the selling point of the 770, GTX 680 beating performance and more overclocking. Whereas the GTX 780 will be a beast probably with fairly conservative clocks out the box to not step on the Titan's toes. Again I think the 780 might offer better overclocking than even the Titan if the voltage has been increased..

I think the performance of the GTX 780 will be within 5% of the Titan anyway. It has one SMX less than a Titan but this will allow it to clock slightly higher due to less heat. Same story with the vram 5 instead of 6gbs.

As to modding the bios, I don't think it will make a huge difference. There are plenty of people using a modded bios on the Titan (not me) and it does not seem to make a huge difference. What does help a lot is fitting waterblocks, this gives a small but noticeable bump and I think the same will be the case with the GTX 780.

I think a Titan on air vs a GTX 780 on water will have almost identical performance.

Man of Honour
OP
Geforce GTX 780 to sell from 500 to 600 euro

Some 20 percent more than 680

Nvidia is getting ready to release the Geforce GTX 780, 770 and 760 TI and slowly replace the upper part of Geforce 600 line.

Traditionally new cards tend to end up more expensive and in this case GTX 780 will be about 20 percent more expensive than its predecessor, the GTX 680. We expect to see them shipping in European retail for about 500 to 600 euro, depending on the SKU. This is the end user price that includes Value Added Tax and this is just a range for big European countries. It some smaller markets the cards could end up even more expensive. The GTX 770 is also expected to cost about 360 euro for stock non-overclocked cards, while others might end up more expensive as one can expect. The GTX 760 should sell for about 200 euro once it launches and naturally since the price is rather close to the GTX 660 we don’t see them coexisting for very long.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31373-geforce-gtx-780-to-sell-from-500-to-600-euro

Overclocked GTX 780 and 770 in the works

Slightly more expensive

We have confirmed that there will be overclocked Geforce GTX 770 and 780 cards and that manufactures are preparing them as we speak.

Since in reality this is just a rebrand of GTX 770 and 680 cards, it was not hard to imagine that this would come about. The 780 is based on Titan GK110 and is a new card, not simply a renamed 600-series part. One can look at it as a slightly de-clocked and more reasonably priced Titan under GTX 780 brand.

The overclocked cards will come shortly after the plain retail version with Nvidia cooler ships out in order to replace the GTX 680 and 670. The GTX 780 ends up significantly faster than the 680 due to its new GK110 chip, while the 770 should end up five to seven percent more expensive than current GTX 680. We expect to see first of these cards in the second half of June, but we expect to see announcements around Computex, in case Nvidia gives them a PR blessing.

Overclocked cards will gain a nice performance boost, but nothing spectacular as you might imagine as even the 780 card based on the Titan GK110 core ends up just slightly faster than 680. At this time we don’t have an exact number. We are hearing that custom coolers and custom frequencies should appear on these cards but we don’t have any specifics yet.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31374-overclocked-gtx-760-and-770-in-the-works

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
OP
Geforce GTX 780 comes on May 23rd

Overclocked a few weeks later

We got news from multiple sources that the Geforce GTX 780, based on GK110 Titan chip, is coming on the May 23rd. Nvidia is launching reference clocked cards and they should be available from day one, but most overclocked cards will show their face a few weeks later.

There will be overclocked cards, but from what we understand the Geforce GTX 780 is using a Titan cooler and most people will continue using it as it’s a high quality design. Some vendors might dare to use their custom cooling solutions as there are some available in the market and even water cooled cards might be in the works.

Reference cards should sell for around 500 euro, while overclocked cards will be closer to the 600 euro mark, but we expect some deviations depending on the market and the specific vendors. These prices are just a rough range of what Nvidia expects them to sell for.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31415-geforce-gtx-780-comes-on-may-23rd

Man of Honour
OP
Geforce GTX 780 comes on May 23rd

Overclocked a few weeks later

We got news from multiple sources that the Geforce GTX 780, based on GK110 Titan chip, is coming on the May 23rd. Nvidia is launching reference clocked cards and they should be available from day one, but most overclocked cards will show their face a few weeks later.

There will be overclocked cards, but from what we understand the Geforce GTX 780 is using a Titan cooler and most people will continue using it as it’s a high quality design. Some vendors might dare to use their custom cooling solutions as there are some available in the market and even water cooled cards might be in the works.

Reference cards should sell for around 500 euro, while overclocked cards will be closer to the 600 euro mark, but we expect some deviations depending on the market and the specific vendors. These prices are just a rough range of what Nvidia expects them to sell for.

In this post it states the GTX 780 uses the Titan cooler, does this mean that the Titan waterblocks available now will also fit.

Man of Honour
OP
I think this price speculation on the GTX 700 series is optimistic.

I can't see the GTX 780 coming in at the same price as the GTX 680, especially with a GK 110 chip on it and a Titan cooler which Nvidia know will be a huge deal to a lot of people, its also not in line with Nvidia's recent pricing structure.

Nvidia know the masses will pay through the nose just because it has GK 110 written in the specs. The Titan cooler will be just as titillating to them.

Nvidia know what they can sell it for, there is no reason for them to sell it for anything less.

Don't get your hopes up.

+1

Man of Honour
OP
I think 3gbs of vram for the GTX 780 in the specs makes sense, this allows it to use the same PCB layout and cooler as the Titan.

I would be interested to know if this also allows someone buying a GTX 780 to use a Titan waterblock which would give the option to watercool from day one.

Back
Top Bottom