***The Official HTC One Thread***

Associate
I've been using 0175 321 8960. That's the number I get calls from aswell. I been calling them enough times and nothing has appeared on my bill so I'm assuming it's included in the free minutes ?

Nothings happened yet unfortunately. They were supposed to send me a new one on Wednesday but I found out today it hasn't even been dispatched yet. Tbh I'm not surprised anymore. :o

Also don't expect the tracking to work. I've got three ticket numbers now. Two of them still say 'Awaiting Device' and the other says dispatched 15th May (which isn't true).

Thanks for the alternative number.

I've been promised a call back within 48 hours with a decision as to what happens about my phone, we shall see. I know what you mean about the tracking as well - I've had 2 ticket numbers and the first one was constantly updated as it should which even included the UPS tracking number for the phone when it was returned to me, but the second ticket number was updated up to the point of them completing the repair of the phone, then after that it didn't show anything about shipping the phone back so I had no idea when it had been dispatched back to me but thankfully as promised by my contact while on the phone yesterday, it has arrived back with me today.

Liam

Soldato
Now official :)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/30/4379796/htc-one-google-edition-announced-stock-android

Let's hope it's possible to flash a current htc one with stock android rom

I hope so too, I'll probably wait to see how other people find it first before deciding to flash it.

HTC Blog announcement here: http://blog.htc.com/2013/05/htc-one-google-nexus-experience/?gb25

And seems Beats will still be part of it (Althought personally I have Beats off): https://plus.google.com/u/0/110023707389740934545/posts/fcfH93she8A

Last edited:
Soldato
This special edition device, priced at $599, will be available in the United States (initially)

Perhaps the Nexus One (newest one :p) will see an international release unlike the S4 which is confirmed as US only.

Associate
Is there much difference between the developer edition and the new stock Android version? I mean with the developer edition, you can just as easily install a stock rom or AOSP-based rom and get basically the same experience. Unless this new one will get official driver support for things like the camera, which I understand is turned quite bad when you get rid of HTC's software tweaks and such.

Caporegime
The developer edition runs sense still, the only special thing about it is that the bootloader is unlocked iirc.

This google edition is running stock android and will receive updates directly from google.

EDIT:

The google edition only has 32GB storage, the developer edition has 64GB

EDIT:

Also, if the google edition is AOSP then it will benefit the AOSP based ROMs for that stuff like camera etc. i.e. get rid of any bugs for all the other regular HTC one devices including the developer edition, then PA, CM etc. will run as good on the one as they do on a nexus device.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not totally convinced about the battery on this. Was 95% this morning at 0800 and was down to 15% when home at 1700. About 2.5 hours screen time and the only thing I did on it really was browse the web on mobile data (maybe 40 mins total). The internet app just seems to suck juice big time. Also it gets noticeably warm whilst just browsing the web....checked temps and battery temps went up to 40 degrees at some points.

Caporegime
Check out my quick guide for improving battery life:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24151917#post24151917

Disable google now if you don't need it and also go to google now/search settings and disable "web history" if not required, huge battery drain I found

Untick anything that you don't need in the accounts and settings i.e. browsing history, google play books

Don't have a stupid refresh time for weather, email etc. apps

go to maps, settings, location settings, location reporting and select "do not update your location" and disable location history (apps etc. can and will still use GPS when required)

The one screen is stupidly bright so that will suck a lot of battery life when it is on auto and using more brightness than required, ideally control it manually with a widget like power toggle or qbright app

Make sure you enable "GSM only" instead of "WCDMA/GSM auto" or/and "WCDMA only" even when connected to wifi, only ever use WCDMA when you need a fast data connection.

go to wifi settings and make sure you disable "wifi max performance" mode, don't know what it is like on the one but on my S it raped battery life for barely any noticeable improvement in wifi tasks

Disable any apps that you don't need by going to settings>apps>choose the app you want to disable> "disable"

Doing all the above (Except brightness control) on my S gives me amazing battery life.

Most phones generally get pretty warm/hot when browsing compared to other things, not sure why......don't forget as well, the aluminium casing will be acting as a heatsink ;) So whilst it might get a bit uncomfortable to hold, it means the components etc. won't throttle/overheat as easily as they would in a phone with plastic casing.

Caporegime
Check out my quick guide for improving battery life:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24151917#post24151917

Most phones generally get pretty warm/hot when browsing compared to other things, not sure why......don't forget as well, the aluminium casing will be acting as a heatsink ;) So whilst it might get a bit uncomfortable to hold, it means the components etc. won't throttle/overheat as easily as they would in a phone with plastic casing.

True but this seems rubbish compared to my s3. I'm just reading about a HTC /google bug with maps and location services draining battery . I remember it started to get real hot and the battery drained fast after starting navigation the other day.

Caporegime
Soldato
I thought it would be as well but it's really disappointed me in the last few days. Can't even get a full day of fair use out of it :/

Have you tried installing better battery stats and seeing if it gives any pointers as to where the majority of your drain is occurring?

Sounds like something is draining your battery more then it should be so you should start trouble shooting to see if you can find the cause.

Caporegime
Have you tried the stuff that I mentioned? If you have already done most of it then I would personally look and see if you can get it exchanged.

Or install better battery stats and see what is draining the battery.

Caporegime
Have you tried the stuff that I mentioned? If you have already done most of it then I would personally look and see if you can get it exchanged.

Or install better battery stats and see what is draining the battery.

Internet and android Kernel/OS are the main killers. App usage accounted for 88% of my battery usage today.

Soldato
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/30/htc-one-nexus-experience-clarifications-ir-blaster-disabled-no-htc-camera-features-and-no-beats-audio-switch/

HTC have answered some questions about the Google HTC One and what can be expected from stuff like the camera.

Will the stock Android camera experience replace the HTC camera app (and thus all the HTC features)?

The HTC One Special Edition contains the stock Android camera experience. It doesn't contain HTC features such as Zoe, etc... It will not be the Sense camera experience, but the camera will still produce comparable high quality pictures.

Soldato
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/30/htc-one-nexus-experience-clarifications-ir-blaster-disabled-no-htc-camera-features-and-no-beats-audio-switch/

HTC have answered some questions about the Google HTC One and what can be expected from stuff like the camera.

So it will still use the HTC processing chip for the camera? Glad quality will stay the same as Sense, current AOSP based ROMs are pretty pants.

No IR though... and I use it quite often...

And Beats will possibly be on all the time...? While it does make the speakers sound better, with headphones I find it unbalances the music too much.

And welp, button configuration will stay the same. Does that mean the wonderful menu button bar will still be there?

From these questions I think I may stick with Sense, I've kind of themed it half Sense/stock anyway and quite like it.

Caporegime
Internet and android Kernel/OS are the main killers. App usage accounted for 88% of my battery usage today.

Try to use better battery stats instead, more accurate and it shows everything and all the kernel etc. wakelocks

Can you post screens of partial and kernel wakelocks, process tabs since unplugged when you hit 15% or lower from a full charge.

Believe it when I see it! :p

Stock android software optimisation for the camera is one of the main things that lets the camera quality down on nexus phones and since the HTC one has a dedicated image chip that does the processing (afaik no other android phones except the one series has a setup like that), which requires the sense framework/optimisation, I am betting that it hasn't been coded to work in conjunction with stock android.

The photos on the one S when running CM 10 etc. are nowhere as good as what they are on sense based ROMs, I have noticed the same with 3rd party camera apps "overall" too.

Plus it isn't just the "quality" of the photos but also other things like the instant shutter speed.

I really don't see the appeal of the GS 4 and HTC one google edition, it just seems pointless unless you badly want the latest updates quickly. You just lose everything that makes the one and GS 4 good and stand out from the crowd imo.

And welp, button configuration will stay the same. Does that mean the wonderful menu button bar will still be there?

I am curious about that too........

google will need to do something about it, otherwise, you won't be able to access the menu at all then!

I presume multi-tasking tweak i.e. double tap home will work???

It is a shame they didn't just lose the capacitive buttons and go with on screen

EDIT:

I like that wallpaper! :)

FpFZFIq.png

EDIT:

And how it should have looked! :p :(

2vuaupv.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom