Prometheus 2 - what we know so far

Man of Honour
Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. It does not stretch to characters (including scientists and highly paid corporate whatevers) behaving like utterly oblivious morons.

Too much facepalm.

Interestingly, this was always my problem with "Sunshine". For a group of people who were supposedly Earth's Best, they behaved like students. And that film had very silly science to back it up. Yet somehow many people think it was a good film.

Man of Honour
Hmmm, watch Prometheus a second time over the weekend. Wasnt as bad as the first time around... it's by no means a good plot though.

I wish they'd explain a little more though, like the whole story behind the goo, and why the white alien guy hates the people.

Don
Associate
I enjoyed the first film..:D

I thought it was ok but was disappointed at it not explaining much. Why did the robot drug the guy? Is the blonde woman really a robot? Also, I thought the ending of Prometheus was meant to lead directly on to the beginning of Alien? Unless they're remaking Alien...

Soldato
I thought it was ok but was disappointed at it not explaining much. Why did the robot drug the guy? Is the blonde woman really a robot? Also, I thought the ending of Prometheus was meant to lead directly on to the beginning of Alien? Unless they're remaking Alien...

Drugged him as he asked 'would you do anything to answer more questions' or something like that. And he answered yes, drugging (black goo) him to see what it did.

Soldato
Yes for a process they had no control over, and rather than use expendable folks in a scientific manner, they picked the research project lead, the guy who had worked it all out.

It makes no sense.

BTW did they ever make any attempt to explain how David was able to work the engineer ship systems or speak their language? I simply don't recall it, and wonder if it was yet another lazy plot hole I missed.

Don
David was on a secret mission to give immortality to his father, he was willing to do anything to achieve that. David was taught their likely language by the guy he poisoned (it might have been deliberate to get rid of the only other person that might have understood the language). It was part of his daily routine during the journey there to have lessons.

Soldato
The first was a set up film, ....

This is not a good strategy for a film franchise.
Relying on sequels to make the first movie better never has worked and never will.

Very rarely is a sequel better than the original...though it can happen.

I was never excited about Prometheus and am certainly not excited about its sequel...unless James Cameron decides to produce & direct it.

Caporegime
David was on a secret mission to give immortality to his father, he was willing to do anything to achieve that.

But it still makes no sense. Why did he think this would give him the secret to immortality? What else was he prepared to try? What had he ruled out at this point?

Custard up his arse? Uncomfortable, but minimal consequences. No immortality.
Baby oil in his ears? Hearing impaired. Still no immortality.
Mysterious black goo in his drink? Death. Worst attempt yet! Back to the drawing board.

Soldato
I was never excited about Prometheus and am certainly not excited about its sequel...unless James Cameron decides to produce & direct it.

Heck no, not after seeing that overpriced 3D screensaver known as Avatar, he can stick to making endless pointless sequels for that as far as I'm concerned. That's all he seems bothered about now anyway. No surprise really, given that Avatar raked a shed load of money for him.

I'm all for Scott directing the sequel to Prometheus, just as long as he gets a capable writer this time around.

Soldato

Yeah! Or Michael Bay!
Engineers Vs Transformers Vs Proto-Aliens with Predators the Movie.

The flaws in Prometheus are too deep to rectify frankly.
If another Alien film is coming have a think and try something completely different.

Suspended
Sorry I forgot to add, that we also know that no matter how good this next film is, no matter what genius is displayed in acting screenwriting and direction, it can never remove the stain and blot that is the abortion of a film know as Prometheus.

This x Infinity.

Prometheus was utter crap. it's the only movie I've ever asked for my money back for. Awful.

Associate
The first had some unintentional holes and some holes due to the way it was edited. If you disregard the holes then it was a very good film, well paced. Still got high hopes for the second.

Don
But it still makes no sense. Why did he think this would give him the secret to immortality? What else was he prepared to try? What had he ruled out at this point?

Custard up his arse? Uncomfortable, but minimal consequences. No immortality.
Baby oil in his ears? Hearing impaired. Still no immortality.
Mysterious black goo in his drink? Death. Worst attempt yet! Back to the drawing board.
What most people seem to have completely missed is that David was able to read the alien writing. He had a good idea of what was in that room, but chose to keep it to himself.

Soldato
Very rarely is a sequel better than the original...though it can happen.

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Terminator 2
Empire Strikes Back
Rambo 2
Aliens (Arguable)
Hot Shots! Part Deux
Blade 2
Lethal Weapon 2
Spider-man 2
Superman 2
From Russia With Love
X-Men 2
Evil Dead 2

EDIT - I can't think of anymore!

Not small franchises either!

Last edited:
Soldato
You have mentioned 4.
And how many sequels have we seen over the years...100s.

Its difficult to make a better sequel than the original and I thought that the Strar Trek 2 wasn't that great and First Blood was better than Ramob. ;)

Back
Top Bottom