****Gigabyte Z87-D3HP Review****

Soldato
Sorry to wander OT a bit, but found out my issue is mostly haswell not liking sandforce SSDs, according to OCZ support they are not compatible and no work around exists :(

On the positive side pc sitting here while typing with cpu idle @ 29 deg max, firing up prime95 boosts core to 3600 and 1.172vid, does that sound a low/good vid ?
Temps 53-57 peaking at 58 deg c after about 7 mins.
Everything still at stock atm as until I get the SSD sorted I don't want to play too much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stulid, Not wanting to sound like I am questioning you, as you know more about this than me, but 300w/a seems a lot, does the cpu need that much headroom ?

Soldato
I had a play and got an o/c and voltage I am happy with, reset the bios to optimized defaults, with the aim I can just have it oc when its needed and sit underclocked when on desktop. but it doesn't seem to drop below its default turbo of 3800, any ideas ?

Caporegime
OP
I had a play and got an o/c and voltage I am happy with, reset the bios to optimized defaults, with the aim I can just have it oc when its needed and sit underclocked when on desktop. but it doesn't seem to drop below its default turbo of 3800, any ideas ?

Leave it to settle? May take a minute or so to drop.

Soldato
Sorted it, when I installed the new Samsung SDD, I let it run the optimization tool, and it had set my cpu minimum to 100% in advanced power options doh !
Sorry Stulid, feel free to delete my OT posts spoiling your excellent review and guide :)

I worked backwards with the OC, went for what ever I could achieve with a max vcore of 1.255, looks like 4.2 is stable with that voltage but Prime95 did have temps peaking at 88 on the highest core. Hot for water cooled but I understand the IHS can be a bit iffy on the i5's and I am not about to de-lid :p
Still, normal use shouldn't get near that, and with the thermal and throttling options enabled, if it does it will back down a bit :)
Thanks for the excellent O/C guide, saved me a lot of time in bios :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I just updated to F5 bios, but wanted to run memtest for a bit.
I can't seem to get it to boot from my optical drives, I set order in bios and save on exit, but it ignores it and goes into windows, when I restart and go to bios it has changed it all back again.

What have I overlooked ?

Caporegime
OP
I just updated to F5 bios, but wanted to run memtest for a bit.
I can't seem to get it to boot from my optical drives, I set order in bios and save on exit, but it ignores it and goes into windows, when I restart and go to bios it has changed it all back again.

What have I overlooked ?

Did you load defaults after the flash then setting the BIOS how you want? try flashing again.

Associate
Any special reason I should update away from F2 bios on this board? I cannot find any changelogs for the updates.

Haven't encountered any problems so far with the "older one", but I don't want to update if it does not give any performance updates.

Caporegime
OP
Any special reason I should update away from F2 bios on this board? I cannot find any changelogs for the updates.

Haven't encountered any problems so far with the "older one", but I don't want to update if it does not give any performance updates.

If its not broke then don't fix it.

Soldato
I think my issue was something to do with win8, I unplugged the SDD and it booted from CD fine.
Memtest all clear, trying to pin down some odd random BSOD when surfing, not had one in hours and hours of gaming so a bit confused.
Sometimes the crash code points to memory, but I know its not an issue now so it must be software related. Last crash code pointed to my AV ... might have to change that if it continues !

CSA

CSA

Associate
had a mare with this board, recently bought a quasar 240i bundle from ocuk, fit it on monday and straight away my 6970 wont work,after TWO days of faffing around it turns out the board doesnt like bios flashed G cards, then during this process my main storage drive died ......

plus i lost my ocuk overclocking profile that came with the board as i updated the bios to try fix the graphics card issue :(

Associate
Hi CSA,

Check the following link for very easy OC advice that works well on this board as well:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

My board also had a pre-OC'd profile from OCuk, but I decided to make my own afterwards for a bit more boost. I know it sucks to have lost the profile, but it does say on the bundle terms that you can't update the bios :/

The only thing you have lost so far is the warranty on the OC itself, and unfortunately the drive.. you'll get it to work eventually, just flash the card back on another PC :)

Back
Top Bottom