What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Pacific Rim - 6/10 - Enjoyable but rubbish :D I spent most of the movie saying "Why don't they just use......." or annoyed at the poor script, bad accents and the over-acting of the 2 scientists yet I still enjoyed the robots and aliens having a punch-up :D

The Heat - 4/10 - Almost entirely unfunny comedy with a constant stream of unnecessary swearing (see "This is the End" also) with what felt like the actors being allowed to ad-lib most of their lines. Sandra Bullock seemed ok'ish at the comedy but everything else was a let down.

The Lone Ranger - 2/10 - Too long, dull and poorly paced. If all the stunts (which were pretty good) had been compressed into 1h30m it would have been a better film but it was soooo long that the pacing felt like it was never going to end. The "old man retelling his story" method didn't work very well, Dep was all-over the place (although occasionally funny) and the Lone Ranger himself was bland beyond belief.

Caporegime
I really don't get why people talk about it being better on a big screen. The atmosphere changes, people are more likely to be in a good mood/enjoy something if dozens of other people are. Thinking back to The Matrix the cinema was fairly empty but everyone laughed at the throat jab by agent smith and oooohhh'd and ahhh'd at the same places and that maybe added to the overall feel, and my memory of the film, but made it better, nope.

Watch Pacific rim on a 50" tv from across the room, then move your chair 1ft away and turn the sound up.... how does the film "get better".

The pretty obvious situation of why it's "better" on the big screen, is the kind of people who are generally into this kinda film (big explosions... nothing else) will be more willing to pay to see it at the cinema, those who want more than a few CGI punches from a film aren't likely to shell out to see it. THen when they do see it, through other means, they don't see anything to change their minds.

There is no film I can think of at all that was better at the cinema than at home. I enjoy going to the cinema to watch a good film as it's a slightly different experience overall, I rarely if ever turn the sound WAY up nor have a good surround sound system... but it's never effected a film for me ever and I can't think of a reason(outside of crowd influence) that it should.

Cinema used to have that higher def thing going for it. Cinema quality screen vs VHS.... ouch, but vs 1080p on a even half decent lcd/plasma is a different story. Films can look just as good at home and you can(though most including me don't) have better sound. Some cinema's have fantastic sound and set up perfectly, others just go big and boomy and overpowering, plenty of cinema's I've been to have been just loud, not excellent quality so that isn't a massive advantage either.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Igger screen, so see more detail, fills porefral vision, cinemas are noise deadened, so cant hear traffic drive past your house, blackout, far better sound that most home systems, i have an av reciever and suround speakers, but it still doesnt compare to cinema.

So lots of reasons why cinema is better, but cinema does work better for action type films.
Really want to see gravity at the cinema for this reason, the scenery is meant to be absolutly stunning.

But due to cinema price upyou have to be picky . Realy want to watch prisoners, but i cant see cinema enhancing that film much. If cinema was cheap enough, i would just go watch it anyway.

Caporegime
You just answered your own question :) Mostly.

Yes but it's also possible for that to go the other way, and ultimately that is just the mood you're in when watching a film, it doesn't change how good the film is and if everyone else hates it you might decided it's poo even though had you watched it on your own you may have loved it.

Ultimately that opinion for me is mostly because I prefer watching films at home when I'm alone, quieter, no distractions, gets paused only when I need food/slash. You can watch a film with multiple people at home as well... hard pushed to fit 500+ people into most peoples home cinema, but it happens with far less people as well.

GLaucus all of that is fine however, my living room is very easily able to be made pitch black and silent, and I can wear quality headphones. In a cinema I've had multiple films ruined by kids, or loud adults, food munching, packet rustling, etc, etc. I've very rarely been to a film where I haven't been irked by at least someones noise. Also the having a pee potentially ruining a £8 film because you don't know when the best time to take a slash is... really gets to me.

For every upside there is a downside, but again the film itself doesn't change for me. Again most of these can happen at home too, my parents are horrendous at watching anything without fidgeting, talking, stopping for food, moving around.

Great headphones or decent speakers, a high quality 1080p screen and ability to control conditions at home for me lead to the better experience 99% of the time. In terms of big screen, meh, you're also likely to be miles further away from it. I get less distracted by outside things in my living room than at the cinema. Someone walks in/out for a pee and you catch that in your peripheral vision in the cinema.

Now, if you could hire a "mini" cinema, so a cinema building instead of 10 500 seat screens had 500 10 seat screens...... and it wasn't insane to hire your own and you can have 15mins extra time and a remote control.... that would probably be great. :p

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
It's been a while since I saw it, but didn't a few of the bottles break or something which led the guy to sell the haul for less?

Yeah, two broke leaving two left, he gave one to Harry and sold the last remaining bottle. I just thought his intention was to only ever sell 1 bottle :/ Also two packets of money with 100k. I dunno, it doesn't really make sense for him to have done that and have no mention of it. I'm sure the deal was all legit :p

Soldato
Yes but it's also possible for that to go the other way, and ultimately that is just the mood you're in when watching a film, it doesn't change how good the film is and if everyone else hates it you might decided it's poo even though had you watched it on your own you may have loved it.

Ultimately that opinion for me is mostly because I prefer watching films at home when I'm alone, quieter, no distractions, gets paused only when I need food/slash. You can watch a film with multiple people at home as well... hard pushed to fit 500+ people into most peoples home cinema, but it happens with far less people as well.

It doesn't change how good the film is, but the cinema experience can help with your perception and enjoyment of a film. Whether that's through 'group vibe' or just being blown away by the scale of sound and vision.

For example, Gravity has been said by many to be an awesome experience in imax and way better than at a 'normal' cinema.
How much of a better experience do you think it would be compared to watching it at home on your 50"?
Imax doesn't make the film any better, but it can improve the experience of watching and listening to it.

With Pacific Rim, I can imagine that it'd be a fun ride on the big screen with the big sound etc. Sure, I'd still have issues with it, but I'd undoubtedly have enjoyed it more.

Caporegime
I watched rim on my 50" panny. If i had watched it in my cinema room it would still be rubbish :p

Maybe, I've not seen it, but it might have been more enjoyable in terms of the sheer spectacle of it.

By the bye, watch your disguised swearing. I got a 3 day ban or something last week :rolleyes: for something like that earlier in this thread. Just a heads up before someone suspends you...

Soldato
The Purge 1/10.

Premise is ridiculous and the whole film just a joke. I know it's a film and it's not meant to be taken seriously but I can only suspend my disbelief so far. The plot device that puts the family in danger was preposterous. I can't believe they're making a sequel.

The 1 is for the daughters legs.

Soldato
Watched Prisoners tonight at the Cinema.

Seemed to have a really high IMDB rating but I have to put it at a 6.

Acting was good but the story just had too many coincidences for my liking.

6/10

Back
Top Bottom