Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The Garmin is too clever for that kind of trickery! :(

yea I was amazed when it set its own clock :D
guess it does it by the GPS satellites positioning or something, but why doesn't my phone do this :S

Difference between the FSA chain ring bolt nut and my new generic ones.
PdHBt72.jpg
I'm not surprised the FSA one sheared off lol the part taking the pressure is almost paper thin!

also whilst my chain rings were off I noticed the little rivet bits that catches the chain are all starting to get squared off after only about 1000km :eek: , I would have thought chain rings are supposed to last much longer than that?

Last edited:
Soldato
guess it does it by the GPS satellites positioning or something, but why doesn't my phone do this :S

GPS works using extremely accurate clocks and it calculates your position by measuring the time difference between the time signals from the satellites.

Also, because of the speeds the satellites are moving they are subject to relativistic physics and so time moves more slowly for them. As a result their clocks need to me reset from a master clock based on Earth on a regular basis.

Everyday is a school day

Soldato

Difference between the FSA chain ring bolt nut and my new generic ones.
PdHBt72.jpg
I'm not surprised the FSA one sheared off lol the part taking the pressure is almost paper thin!

also whilst my chain rings were off I noticed the little rivet bits that catches the chain are all starting to get squared off after only about 1000km :eek: , I would have thought chain rings are supposed to last much longer than that?

The red one appears to be aluminium. The black one is almost certainly steel.

That's why the thickness is so different, not any perceived difference in quality

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;25180879 said:
GPS works using extremely accurate clocks and it calculates your position by measuring the time difference between the time signals from the satellites.

Also, because of the speeds the satellites are moving they are subject to relativistic physics and so time moves more slowly for them. As a result their clocks need to me reset from a master clock based on Earth on a regular basis.

Everyday is a school day

GPS calculations have to account for special and general relativity, I read the other day. It's really quite clever stuff.

Soldato
Went out for 20. Forgot how horrible wind is. 18mph head wind and it started chucking down after 9mi so turned back.

I reckon that’s it for me this Winter just short 15-30mi rides a couple of times a week from now until spring.

Soldato

I can't imagine the pins you mean are that worn unless you shift a huge amount? Rings are usually good for several 1000km unless they're made by FSA in which case they're good for the bin.

Caporegime
Went out for 20. Forgot how horrible wind is. 18mph head wind and it started chucking down after 9mi so turned back.

I reckon that’s it for me this Winter just short 15-30mi rides a couple of times a week from now until spring.

I'm getting to that point. I'm about 200 miles off my target for the year, so I should be able to get to that, even if it just means going out on my MTB at 10mph.

Associate
I'm getting to that point. I'm about 200 miles off my target for the year, so I should be able to get to that, even if it just means going out on my MTB at 10mph.

I passed my target for the year a couple of weeks back (it was only 2k) but having entered a couple of cross races I'm having to get out so I don't get too unfit. Now aiming for 2.4k for the year and 3k next year.

I'm also quite enjoying riding in the dark and cold, heavy rain is a no no though.

Soldato

Scheduled to ride tomorrow. Looks like similar wind level here too so can't say I am looking forward to it but I guess it will be character building.

Soldato
Scheduled to ride tomorrow. Looks like similar wind level here too so can't say I am looking forward to it but I guess it will be character building.

Riding in a group in wind isn't too bad as you can take a breather, its when you're on your own in the middle of nowhere that is the killer!

Caporegime
I can't imagine the pins you mean are that worn unless you shift a huge amount? Rings are usually good for several 1000km unless they're made by FSA in which case they're good for the bin.
yea they will be FSA my crank arm has FSA DYNADRIVE or some BS written on it.

I guess FSA are the creda of bikes then lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom