• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Caporegime
Sounds like a nonsense story, without translating the way the story in the link says along the lines of, manufacturers need 4-6 weeks to make custom parts, and Sweclockers think this could delay them till at least december...... thus that website is claiming not till the END of the 4th quarter while the story is titled "not available till end of November" which is both before end of 4th quarter, and much less than 6 weeks after launch. It's a contradiction, in a contradiction, based on a contradiction.......... INCEPTION.

Of course AIB's don't have huge supply, AMD/Nvidia want a specific number of high quality parts so make reference cards and ship ref cards to AIB's to ship out in their own boxes and sometimes with an awesome sticker :o

That is the way it always is, always has been, probably always will be. They can't ship numbers to AIB's till they've made X amount of ref cards to ensure supply.

Caporegime
I have been looking around at varying sites with 290X results and frankly I am disappointed... It seems loads of people are stuck with a 100% GPU usage/Artifacts without overclocking/screen lock ups and the scores that are being returned for overclocking, a 7970 can reach!

Early days and hopefully teething problems but not the best advert so far.

Associate
Reminds me of the nvidia problems with heat when Fermi was introduced . We all had a good laugh at the time BUT once you got the heat tamed they were excellent gpu's :)

Bought a 470 - awful until I added an Arctic cooler.

I agree that AMD could have done better with the cooler but given price am more than willing to forgive AND I am sure that aftermarket solutions will cure the problem.

Caporegime
Reminds me of the nvidia problems with heat when Fermi was introduced . We all had a good laugh at the time BUT once you got the heat tamed they were excellent gpu's :)

I agree that AMD could have done better with the cooler but given price am more than willing to forgive AND I am sure that aftermarket solutions will cure the problem.

I found a guy who has his card under water and his valley score went from 65fps to 79fps, so shows that thermal throttling is at play a fair bit.

lol Boom.

Associate

Aye.

I had a pair of 480's terrible heat and noise with stock coolers, but absolute monsters under water (could beat 5970 quadfire).

I cant wait until these initial teething issues are sorted so we can see how these really stack up against the best of green across a number of games (I don't care about heaven etc..)

Last edited:
Soldato
It does mean the cards with custom coolers will be even faster than the reference ones. They are meant to be arriving in late November or early December.

I wonder if the custom cards will be the answer to the GTX780TI??
780Ti is still only GK110 though. Sure it could/may beat the 290x if it comes with enough steam processors and high enough stock and boost clock, but the marginal of % being faster in speed would most likely tiny to the point of not worth mentioning. Winning by margins as small as that is moot point, if Nvidia decide to price the 780TI at 20% higher in price than the 290x; no more than £30-£50 more expensive then it may be worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom