• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Caporegime
Yup. Nvidia really had a problem, and then they did something about it with the 580 I seem to recall with the vapour chamber stuff?

The scary thing is the amd cards of the last few years have had vapour chambers on them, 6950, 6970 and 6990 all have them and all run pretty hot. Pretty sure the 5970 also had one, though im not sure about the 7 series.

Soldato
All of them could be improved 30% if they just used the fan and outward sides with exposed fins.
His, Artic cooling and Gecube had blower type coolers that were nearly silent in the past
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/GeCube/Radeon_HD_3850_X-Turbo-III/3.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_hd_3850_iceq_3_turbox_review,6.html
Ok they did not have 300w cooling capacity but they had put some thought into them unlike all the newer stuff where they just block up the exhaust port
with connectors very few use to save $5 on an adapter

Soldato
The scary thing is the amd cards of the last few years have had vapour chambers on them, 6950, 6970 and 6990 all have them and all run pretty hot. Pretty sure the 5970 also had one, though im not sure about the 7 series.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how the vapour chambers work upside down :rolleyes: :D

Soldato
All the AMD cards ive had since the 4870 have had rubbish stock coolers, the only time i would buy a card with one was if it was going under water. I will wait for the non ref 290 to come out and decide if im jumping in this round or waiting until refresh.

OcUK Staff
The prices seem to flucuate wildly here; some days the purple-boxed Sapphire 270x and 280x are around £150 and £220 respectively, other days they are around £180 and £315. Weird. Also I can only see one 290X, and that's £590.

Our 290X are £429.95 and most expensive at £455.99, what are you seeing at £590?

Soldato
Cheers ;) wasn't actually how they work more of how they can work efficiently on their side or upside down. Like heatpipes they all work better with the condenser area higher than the evaporator and the coolant not fighting gravity.

I was of the understanding that the pressure of the heated vapour forced the liquid back the starting point which is why the orientation didn't matter so much. Well, with heatpipes at least.

Could be wrong.

Soldato
I was of the understanding that the pressure of the heated vapour forced the liquid back the starting point which is why the orientation didn't matter so much. Well, with heatpipes at least.

Could be wrong.

Yes the sintered wick type pipes claim to do that sort of thing, suppose as with all these things we have no way of knowing how good the vacuum and quantity of fluid is in all these things...if indeed the cheap ones have anything in them :)

Noctua actually advise you to mount with the heatpipes so you would get a natural return to the heat source

And let's not forget water is supposed to change state in a vacuum so it might not just be hot and cold vapour
I'll have to read through this as a refresher :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Soldato
Ack! Too technical for me :o

The decent aircoolers seem to work well enough when mounted sideways, so I'll just have to take their word for it :D

If I was still running the K2, I'd do a flat vs perpendicular test to see if there's a difference.

Soldato
Ack! Too technical for me :o

The decent aircoolers seem to work well enough when mounted sideways, so I'll just have to take their word for it :D

If I was still running the K2, I'd do a flat vs perpendicular test to see if there's a difference.

:D not even really like we can do much about it anyway most of the time.

Back to the 290X :)

Man of Honour
Haha, the FX 5800 Ultra. I bought 1. I regret that decision lol. It literally was a vacuum cleaner level of sound.

The whole 5000 series was pretty tragic - fortunatly managed to get my hands on a 5900XT Golden Sample that did 50% or so core and memory clocks and made it about useable without having to pickup a 9x00 pro.

Soldato
I was a bit of an nvidia fanboy back then, and bought in to the hype machine of the FX series. Actually from what I remember it did perform well enough, but dear god - THAT noise!

Back
Top Bottom