• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Caporegime
Hawaii Live Stream Starts 8PM UK Time 25th Sept 2013

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-eventDetails&EventId=5024687

Holy Smokes. :eek:

RIP Titan?

Well apparently the rumor was true, AMD Hawaii GPU has (supposedly) 512-bit interface and 4GB memory according to leaked photos.

AMD’s Radeon R9 290X equipped with Hawaii XT GPU is said to have at least 2560 Stream Processors. Some claim it will have 2816, which is not exactly confirmed. In fact the information we have indicates that the full Hawaii GPU will go straight to FirePro model, whereas the 2560 edition will be used with the flagship Radeon. That’s the rumor of course. I could not verify anything because AMD is very quiet about their new release.

It doesn’t take a lot of effort to count the memory modules. You can easily find sixteen 256MB modules with a total capacity of 4GB, but that’s not all, since the PCB could provide additional space on the back, with dual-sided memory, 8GB does it sound good? Nevertheless, 4GB memory size obviously suggest 512-bit memory bus.

Additionally we have a picture from Twitter where Johan Andersson (Technical Director on Frostbite at DICE) claims that he got a sample straight from AMD. If that’s true then he is in a big trouble right now. However it wouldn't be surprising if this would be a controlled leak. Do you remember the HD 7990 leaked by… DICE?

The leaked picture of the cooler suggest it’s a blower type without much happening on the top. It actually looks like an engineering sample, rather than a actual reference design.

Pics

SLw4M5t.jpg

2KWPHhz.jpg

4kAwMK5.jpg

Source
1.http://videocardz.com/45704/amd-radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-gpu-pictured-512-bit-4gb-memory
2.https://twitter.com/repi/status/381427050252234753

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
With memory prices on the high, this is definitely gonna beat titan on pricing as well..

No it won't. AMD gave an interview last week saying it won't be priced in titan range. It will be below 7990 pricing.

They’re coming in Q4. I can’t reveal a pricepoint but we’re looking at more traditional enthusiast GPU pricepoints. We’re not targeting a $999 single GPU solution like our competition because we believe not a lot of people have that $999. We normally address what we call the ultra-enthusiast segment with a dual-GPU offering like the 7990. So this next-generation line is targeting more of the enthusiast market versus the ultra-enthusiast one.

Source
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...adeon-cards-next-gen-consoles-7990-criticism/

Caporegime
OP
yes but as Roff has said it is only the full card image that is the leak the other images and the article guessing at 512Mbit bus are all just rumours.

Thing is you wouldn't get 4gb on a 384 bit bus, would you? It definitely won't be 2gb so surely that would only leave 512 bit as the only option. As far as i understand it anyway.

nah there's some science that if you have 4gb you need 512 bus

no idea what the science is tho

What billy said.

Caporegime
OP
yes I know this isn't Nvidia, I was just saying that it is possible. 4GB ram does not necessarily mean a 512Mbit bus.

It could quite easily be 256 if they clock the memory to heck.

I think it's worth linking this again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_bandwidth#Bandwidth_computation_and_nomenclature

Come on guys, you really think a 256bit bus card is going to be competing with titan/780? Haven't we learned anything about how 680/770's perform at high resolution?

I'm not saying it will 100% will be 512bit bus, but id bet my left testicle it won't be 256bit. Absolutely no chance. Can't see it in a million years. 384-512bit me thinks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ugh, wccf still pushing the incorrect info about die size...

If the rest is true, quite impressive on launch drivers. Also note how Hawaii outpaces Titan with AA every time.

512bit bus. ;)

Its why the 7950/70 outshine a 670/680/760/770 at high resolution/high AA settings.

EDIT

This card is going to overclock like a champ. The memory at only 1250 is going to have massive overclock potential.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There is something rather odd about vram clocked as low as 1250 on a high end GPU, even the Titan with its 6gb comes in @1502.

Kinda makes sense with a 512bit bus though. It doesn't need to be clocked as high. 512bit at 1250=288GB - 7970ghz 384 bit at 1500=299GB. The 7970 was definitely not short of memory bandwidth. Looks like it will be even less of a problem here. Hynix memory, always good for 1700-1900mhz with golden chips reaching 1900-2000.

Caporegime
OP
Beats Titan by a few percent?? ;)

We'll see mat. Don't get too excited just yet. Want to see benches on these new cards. I'll chuckle if their not much faster then what's out now.

Looking forward to the reviews, but the only thing I am really interested in is the overclocking headroom.

It is easy these days to produce a GTX 780 that off the shelf is faster than a Titan but when it comes to overclocking both, the result is reversed with the Titan coming out on top.

If the R9 290X has decent overclocking headroom and can produce the numbers then there maybe some headed my way.

I have one of these on order at the moment

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-587-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2174

So it will be interesting to see what ends up in it.:D

Right im throwing my hat into the ring. Titan beating performance at $550+. You heard it here first folks. I may or may not have heard it from someone else. ;)

I called it a long time ago. Looks like my pricing won't be too far off either.

Caporegime
OP
This ^^^

Nvidia were very clever with the Titan. They could launch it at a ridiculous price point because it was the fastest card out. This then also paved the way for the price point of the 780.

Looking at what is available AMD may be able to beat or match Titan Performance, and there is no reason why they couldn't beat the 780 on price.

Fingers crossed :)

AMD have already given an official interview saying it won't be titan priced. So expect it in or around 780 pricing i reckon. £400-£500.

You’re holding a press event in the near future to discuss your next-generation Radeon series, but what can you tell me right now?

“They’re coming in Q4. I can’t reveal a pricepoint but we’re looking at more traditional enthusiast GPU pricepoints. We’re not targeting a $999 single GPU solution like our competition because we believe not a lot of people have that $999. We normally address what we call the ultra-enthusiast segment with a dual-GPU offering like the 7990. So this next-generation line is targeting more of the enthusiast market versus the ultra-enthusiast one.

“It’s also extremely efficient. [Nvidia's Kepler] GK110 is nearly 30% bigger from a die size point of view. We believe we have the best performance for the die size for the enthusiast GPU.

“Another thing I can tell you is about the process node: this GPU is in 28nm. Some have speculated that it was 20nm and it’s not for a specific reason: At 28nm for an enthusiast GPU, we can achieve higher clock speeds and higher absolute performance.”

Source.

Caporegime
OP
6gb 290x is coming wouldnt suprise me if a 8gb version are produced if the bus allows it technically..
one OC card dont make a serie. many try to OC haswell and not that many if any does 5ghz or close to and many consider Haswell OC ability as meh at best.

I'd expect an 8gb version as well. If fact i read that's already being lined up.

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
But why is it clocked so low...

RGhWFCq.jpg.png

The day AMD stick Elpida memory on the flagship gpu is a sad day for mankind. :(

I can't see it happening. Hopefully they' don't. ;)

"The leaker claims that his sample could run at 1020 MHz core clock and 1250 MHz memory clock. That would be the peak performance for the new Radeon (we don’t know yet if this is the reference clock)."

http://videocardz.com/45753/amd-radeon-r9-290x-slightly-faster-gtx-titan

So it looks like those benchmarks we have seen might have been with the card running at its maximum overclock.Obviously don't know whether that was with any voltage increases.

That will probably be the default boost clock id expect.

TDP 250w is likely reason.

This.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom