If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Capodecina
Soldato
Since cancelling my account I've been thinking about this. When you tell people you don't have a FB account they look at your like you're weird, or like you don't exist in an internet sense. Maybe it's true.

Since the introduction of timelines FB has tried to do exactly that though: to recreate us as virtual people. We have a presence in the physical world, they want us to have a solid presence in the virtual world. If you did everything prompted by FB, they would know when you were born, where you went to school, who your friends were, where you went to uni, where you work, what your phone number is, your email, your residence, where you've visited in the world, who your first kiss was, where you've been on holiday, where you injured yourself [if you ever did], if you ever had an operation, where you are AT THIS VERY MOMENT, what you did last night, who your gf/wife/exes are, what music you listen to, what you read, what you watch on TV, your favourite films, restaurants, drinks, places to go... and what you're thinking.

A few years ago I was stalking an ex, as we all do. I couldn't find her on FB. Her friends didn't have her either though. I started to wonder... if she had died. Because she didn't have a FB account. Turns out, as I bumped into a friend of hers the other day, that she's not dead at all. Just not on FB. This is what FB has done: it encourages us to think that if someone is not there, they don't exist.

In retrospect I find this all extremely frightening. Yes, we have details in various places on the net but not to this extent. And the ironic thing is that all this information is volunteered by the users. Mix this in with recent studies which tell us that regular FB users are actually less happy than other people and it's hardly a surprise. FB is mostly about seeing what you don't have, who you can't have or trying to impress other people. We existed perfectly well as a race before it came along. And physical interaction is always better.

It'll get worse as well, esp with graph search and the like. But when will FB peak and crash? It happened to MySpace, it will happen to FB. But what will cause it and when? Maybe an exodus of users through privacy concerns. But the more we connect with FB, the harder it makes it to leave. I know there are plenty of users who talk about leaving but who never do. We're too lazy. And that's how Amazon and the like make their money... convenience and laziness of its users.

So who here doesn't have their virtual identity stamped on FB?

Soldato
I have a FB account but don't advertise the fact to family and most of my groups of friends. I use a fake name with fake details and only use it to stay in touch with a specific group of people. Works well for me. :)

Man of Honour
Oh look another reatrded post.
Fb only has what you post, dont wnat to put your phone number in, work etc then dont.

Facebook is another tool, just like phones, text messages, emails etc.
It is far far easier organising events on facebook, than any other method.
Its also far easier to share photos than any other method.

Lol, amazon make there money, as they are one of the cheapest places, have pretty much everything and do free shipping, as well as other shipping schemes. They simply offer a cheaper and better service than others

Soldato
Sure they get some of my information but they also provode me a service. It's a price I am willing to pay. Sure it is personal stuff and in the wrong hands could be used against me but for example Facebook isn't going to use my email address to send me loads of spam or when I am on holiday to rob my house etc.

AJK

AJK

Associate
This is what FB has done: it encourages us to think that if someone is not there, they don't exist.
Only for those of us who don't engage their brains beyond that initial assumption.

FB is mostly about seeing what you don't have, who you can't have or trying to impress other people.
Or, you know, keeping in touch with people in a convenient way.

Facebook, like all other similar tools, is what you make of it.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Oh look another reatrded post.
Fb only has what you post, dont wnat to put your phone number in, work etc then dont.

Read my post properly. Everything is very carefully worded. I said if you put in everything they wanted you to put in.

Facebook is another tool, just like phones, text messages, emails etc.
It is far far easier organising events on facebook, than any other method.
Its also far easier to share photos than any other method.

They want us to think it's a tool, but it's just dressed up as that. It's an advertising vehicle. We are the products. They are not a charity.

Lol, amazon make there money, as they are one of the cheapest places, have pretty much everything and do free shipping, as well as other shipping schemes. They simply offer a cheaper and better service than others

They do. But they make their money because people are lazy. Read my post again.

Man of Honour
Read my post properly. Everything is very carefully worded. I said if you put in everything they wanted you to put in.

They want us to think it's a tool, but it's just dressed up as that. It's an advertising vehicle. We are the products. They are not a charity.

They do. But they make their money because people are lazy. Read my post again.

Retarded as i said.
It does not have operations, injuries etc in it.

It is very much a tool.
No, they dont make money becuase people are lazy, they make molney by offering things ppeople want.
Again read your own post and engage brain.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Sure it is personal stuff and in the wrong hands could be used against me but for example Facebook isn't going to use my email address to send me loads of spam or when I am on holiday to rob my house etc.

No, they rob you of all your personal details and give them to other people.

Permabanned
I'm not on it (other than as a placeholder), I don't find the minutiae of my own and other people's lives that interesting. I guess women do which is why this concept is so appealing.

I can see it fulfills an important function for many people, but the fact that all the details we provide are owned by a money seeking corporation puts me off. If Facebook was an independant non profit service then I would use it.
Like the OP said it encourages comparisons with other people and that's really only ever going to be a negative influence.

Soldato
It happened to MySpace, it will happen to FB.

I wouldn't assume Facebook will fail in the same way Myspace did. Facebook has become so ubiquitous to modern life, that as you say, it's hard for some people to imagine you not having it. This is something Myspace never achieved.

Ebay, Google, Amazon, they are all sites which have become so ingrained in modern life that it's hard to imagine them failing easily. Only the next turn of the innovation wheel will put them to bed, and that might take a generation or two.

All of that said, you seem to have made a fair few posts about FB. Why the obsession? I'm not on FB and don't give a hoot about it.

Soldato
Hate everything about Facebook. I deleted my Facebook at the start of the year due to it being impossible to make my profile completely private from randomers and people i didn't want looking at my Facebook.

Never really used it when i had it, think i put on about 3 statuses last year. All the ads and stupid pictures and drama queens was annoying too.

Facebook was good about 6 years ago.

Soldato
Since cancelling my account I've been thinking about this. When you tell people you don't have a FB account they look at your like you're weird

This might be why.....

Hey I just deleted Facebook!!
Ok, who cares.
Yeah, I deleted it cos Facebook is just trying to make a virtual me.
Erm, ok.
I mean back when I still had Facebook and was trying to stalk my ex, the obvious conclusion was that she doesn't exist any more.
<begins looking for the exit>
I actually wondered if she might be dead - just because she wasn't on Facebook!!
****ing weirdo.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
All of that said, you seem to have made a fair few posts about FB. Why the obsession? I'm not on FB and don't give a hoot about it.

This is my second thread on it recently. One was about the privacy concerns, and this is a retrospective. Since leaving I can see just how it saps your life and personal details. Not only that, but you actually engage far more properly with the people who mean something to you in your life without it.

This might be why.....

Hey I just deleted Facebook!!
Ok, who cares.
Yeah, I deleted it cos Facebook is just trying to make a virtual me.
Erm, ok.
I mean back when I still had Facebook and was trying to stalk my ex, the obvious conclusion was that she doesn't exist any more.
<begins looking for the exit>
I actually wondered if she might be dead - just because she wasn't on Facebook!!
****ing weirdo.

Typical FB user who actually agrees with everything I wrote in the OP. Denial.

Back
Top Bottom