Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Soldato
This phone really needed off screen touch buttons, they really should have been incorporated into the bezel on the bottom, shame was looking a good sized phone.

Soldato
This phone really needed off screen touch buttons, they really should have been incorporated into the bezel on the bottom, shame was looking a good sized phone.

Yeah, the on screen buttons seem really wasteful of space when there's that much bezel underneath to fit actual buttons on.

Soldato
It's up for pre-order in various places at £450. I've pre-ordered one in black directly from Sony, as they're offering a free SmartWatch 2 with it, along with free standard delivery. According to my order conformation, it'll be shipped by the end of February. I suspect that this will be another unpopular phone, but at least I haven't had to import one like I did with the Acro S :)

Man of Honour
Any word on whether the screen washes out even slightly off angle like all current Sony phones? I was really surprised by how bad the Z was.

The obvious response to this is "well, I never look at my screen at an angle", but even a slight angle and it starts to become white. It looks naff. :(

Still, I don't think there's much up with the size of the S4 for example, it's quite easy to handle even compared to my iPhone 5, so I'd want a larger screen (4.7" ~) on an Android phone myself.

Soldato
There's a video posted by Grudas earlier in the thread showing what I mean.

Let me know after you've seen the video. I'm really susceptible to contrast shift.

Man of Honour
There's a video posted by Grudas earlier in the thread showing what I mean.

Let me know after you've seen the video. I'm really susceptible to contrast shift.

Just had a look. That is rather bad yes, it's ok directly below, but at the sides/corners it looks terrible. What a shame. I'm spoilt on the iPhone which just has a near flawless screen, can't be that hard to make one like it though, surely.

Soldato
Most OEMs use two or more different panel suppliers. It's a lottery, even for Apple devices. Sony have come along way since the Z, the Z1 and Z Ultra have OK to great screen options. Just make sure you get the right one. :p

Here's two Z1 compact screen types (JDI vs AUO)
8r2z.jpg

Quite a big difference but I'd be happy with both if I wanted a Z1c tbh, AUO for the better blacks? (Oh yeah, OLED > any LCD. :p)

Soldato
That all depends on panel suppler/factory, some Z1 units got crappy Z leftovers(?) some got OK screens, some got amazing screens.
To me it looks OK so far but it wouldn't surprise me if they ship a batch or two with typical Sony crap. :D Wait and see or be prepared to send one or two back.

Soldato
It's up for pre-order in various places at £450. I've pre-ordered one in black directly from Sony, as they're offering a free SmartWatch 2 with it, along with free standard delivery. According to my order conformation, it'll be shipped by the end of February. I suspect that this will be another unpopular phone, but at least I haven't had to import one like I did with the Acro S :)
Have you got a link to this offer please :)

Soldato
I assume that there's no problem with linking directly to it, given that Sony don't sell any products that OcUK sell; so here you go.

Apparently the Z1 Compact also supports Qi charging. The more I read about this phone, the more I look forward to it arriving :)

Back
Top Bottom