Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Soldato
How is this phone holding up?

Friend of mine has been offered 2 of these ( his and hers) for only a few more pounds a month on their contract, I told him to go for it, seemed like a brilliant deal.

Associate
I actually preferred my Z1c to the Z3c, maybe it was just down to the aluminium frame around the Z1c, it just felt more premium although this was slightly negated by its highly scratchable piano black plastic back panel.

Soldato
I think I'm still happy with my z1c, I'm not getting twitchy about upgrading any time soon anyway :)

We *should* soon be getting Lollipop according Sony and I'm hoping that really completes things for this handset.

Soldato
Sorry to revive this thread but has anyone replaced the battery on theirs yet?

Still happy to keep mine as a spare but the battery is really letting it down now - shuts down at around 25% in some instances... I've priced it up on eBay and for a genuine Sony battery, adhesive gasket and a replacement back (just in case!) you can do it for under £15. Anyone?

Associate
Yep, it's a doddle. My instructions make it look harder than it is!

Getting the back off is the (relatively!) physically tough but simple bit, I used a hairdryer on it for a good 2-3 mins all around before using a plectrum/lollipop stick to prise the back off starting at the speaker hole at the top end.

Once the back is off try and clean up all adhesive whilst it is still warm, from the back and off the frame.

Don't lose the soft foam that acts as a compress for the battery terminals at the bottom.

On my Z1 compact I had to remove the Bluetooth aerial (a white square sticker) from the battery itself, take extra care here and look how the contacts are supposed to sit for when you reconnect.

Using something more gentle than the small screwdriver I used, pull up the connector block from the battery to the phone power input, very gentle pressure required. It's at the bottom left.

The battery is held in by a single small Phillips head screw at the top, once that is removed the battery folds out from the top and unhooks from the bottom.

Put the new battery in the reverse way paying attention to where the screw and contacts go (I think it's one way only fit), and screw back in using the original screw. Gently press the connector block back in on the bottom left.

Re-attach the Bluetooth sticker CAREFULLY. Obviously if the contacts do not line up it won't transmit signal. I planned to use tape to ensure it stuck securely but actually it was fine without.

But the foam compressor back in above the power block (I guess to stop it accidentally pinging out if dropped) and prepare to reattach the back. Don't lose the lens cover from your back.

Usual stuff: clean, dry no grease, if possible in a dust free area. Common sense really I suppose, line up as carefully as you can with the new adhesive already attached. get one corner sorted and line up, then commit fully and press the back down. You probably have 1-2 seconds to shift it around a bit to make sure it fit's in the recessed frame before it becomes unmovable.

Regardless of whether you think you are successful or not put the phone face down on a covered table, and pile some books on into compress the back down. I left mine twenty minutes.

Bluetooth should still work if the contacts were lined up fine, and the edges should still feel smooth if applied correctly. I haven't tested if it is still waterproof but I see no reason why it wouldn't be!

Good luck.

Soldato
Yep, it's a doddle. My instructions make it look harder than it is!

Getting the back off is the (relatively!) physically tough but simple bit, I used a hairdryer on it for a good 2-3 mins all around before using a plectrum/lollipop stick to prise the back off starting at the speaker hole at the top end.

Once the back is off try and clean up all adhesive whilst it is still warm, from the back and off the frame.

Don't lose the soft foam that acts as a compress for the battery terminals at the bottom.

On my Z1 compact I had to remove the Bluetooth aerial (a white square sticker) from the battery itself, take extra care here and look how the contacts are supposed to sit for when you reconnect.

Using something more gentle than the small screwdriver I used, pull up the connector block from the battery to the phone power input, very gentle pressure required. It's at the bottom left.

The battery is held in by a single small Phillips head screw at the top, once that is removed the battery folds out from the top and unhooks from the bottom.

Put the new battery in the reverse way paying attention to where the screw and contacts go (I think it's one way only fit), and screw back in using the original screw. Gently press the connector block back in on the bottom left.

Re-attach the Bluetooth sticker CAREFULLY. Obviously if the contacts do not line up it won't transmit signal. I planned to use tape to ensure it stuck securely but actually it was fine without.

But the foam compressor back in above the power block (I guess to stop it accidentally pinging out if dropped) and prepare to reattach the back. Don't lose the lens cover from your back.

Usual stuff: clean, dry no grease, if possible in a dust free area. Common sense really I suppose, line up as carefully as you can with the new adhesive already attached. get one corner sorted and line up, then commit fully and press the back down. You probably have 1-2 seconds to shift it around a bit to make sure it fit's in the recessed frame before it becomes unmovable.

Regardless of whether you think you are successful or not put the phone face down on a covered table, and pile some books on into compress the back down. I left mine twenty minutes.

Bluetooth should still work if the contacts were lined up fine, and the edges should still feel smooth if applied correctly. I haven't tested if it is still waterproof but I see no reason why it wouldn't be!

Good luck.
Thanks mate, all fairly painless in the end! The only thing I found that you mention but none of the other guides do is the bit about removing and reattaching the Bluetooth sticker. Mine all seems fine anyway so thanks ;)

If I get another year out of this handset now I'll be happy. Absolutely no resale value have they...

Soldato
Right, so still using my Z1 Compact, today I decided to replace the plastic screen protector (it was looking a bit tatty) - and a very good job I did too...

...anyway, I've just looked and the actual glass screen has a crack going straight through it, no idea how or why :eek:

I remember back in the day, my mate having a Z1 and there been hundreds of reports of the screens just cracking for no apparent reason? He sold his there and then.

I'm still going to upgrade at some point this year but I've got a lot on atm so I'm going to try and prolong the life of my Z1c for a little bit longer. Even though it's just the glass, the screen, apart from being almost completely unresponsive above the crack, is fine - picture-wise. Do I just buy the whole LCD /digitizer bundles that you see on eBay? I'm looking at about 30 notes, which would be worth it to me.

Anyone had any experience of fitting? There are lots of YouTube vids but it's always nice to hear from actual users on here :)

Back
Top Bottom