Xperia Z1 Compact... finally the holy grail for "normal sized" phone enthusiasts?

Caporegime
Well, seems the specs of the Sony Z1 Mini seem to have got a wee bit more 'unoficially official': http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/leaked...3-inch-screen-sony-xperia-z1-mini-15-09-2013/

xperia-z1-mini.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1 Mini is expected to feature a similar set of specifications as the Xperia Z1 in a smaller body. The leaked document confirms that Sony Xperia Z1 Mini features a 4.3-inch display and a quad-core Snapdragon 800 SoC. The document doesn’t mention the resolution, but earlier rumors suggested that it will feature 720p resolution compared to 1080p in Xperia Z1. This shouldn’t be a problem considering the compact screen size of Sony Xperia Z1 Mini.

xperia-z1-mini

Other rumored specifications include the same 20.7MP camera with Sony G Lens; 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage with a microSD card slot, 2,400 mAh battery and will come with the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean out of the box. The device is expected to see the daylight at CES 2014 next year.

The rumored specifications could increase the price of the device since the mini versions from Samsung and HTC come with lower specifications, so it is highly unlikely – in my opinion — that Sony Xperia Z1 Mini will boast the same specifications as its bigger version.

FINALLY, after the disappointingly cut down version of the Galaxy S3/S4Mini, and HTC One Mini, we now have a "Mini" sized phone that will very likely have the same uber-specifications as the premium oversized phone! Same Snapdragon 800SOC, slightly less rez screen, same amazing camera, same waterproofing (critical for me as my last phone died from water exposure). All in what for me is the most perfect form size for practical, pocketable, everyday use.

If this indeed turns out to be true then I am sure as hell waiting for this baby even if I do have to tootle along with a mediocre budget phone until next year. Great stuff. :)

UPDATE:

Finally, its announced for the EU! http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-z1-compact-331116/ :D

Sony announces the Xperia Z1 Compact, a ‘no comprise’ 4.3-inch handset

At tonight’s Sony press conference, the Xperia Z1 Compact was finally officially unveiled. As excepted, the handset is essentially just as powerful as its bigger brother, only in a more condensed from with a lower-resolution display.

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is certainly a welcome addition in a world where most “miniature” handsets tend to deviate far from the specs found in the phones they are named after.

Specs and features

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact packs a 720p 4.3-inch display and the same Snapdragon 800 CPU found inside the Z1. The design similar to the previously released Japanese Xperia Z1f, though a few things have been changed around a bit.

Here’s the full skinny on what to expect from the Xperia Z1 Compact:

• 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU
  • Adren 330 GPU
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 20.7MP camera with Sony G-Lens and Bionz mobile
  • 2MP front-cam
  • Video recording:1080p @ 30fps video capture, both cameras
  • Storage: 16GB with microSD for expansion
  • Battery: 2300 mAh
  • 4.3-inch Triluminous IPS display with 720p resolution, 341 ppi
  • WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, A-GPS+GLONASS, microUSB 2.0 (MHL), BlueTooth 4.0 LE
  • Dimensions: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm, 137g
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, planned upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat
  • 2,300 mAh battery
  • multi-touch input, proximity sensor, FM Radio, built-in accelerometer
  • Black, White, Pink, Lime, Yellow

As you can see, the Xperia Z1 Compact really is a beast, from its high-quality camera to its CPU and beyond. Sure, the display might not be as impressive as the Z1, but it’s still more than capable of providing a solid visual experience.

This may well be my next phone, but I will wait and see what the Sony Z2 Avatar is like first! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
8GB of internal storage, is that some kind of joke? Lots of apps cannot use SD card storage so one better be a light user. My next phone will likely have at least 32GB

It doesn't realistically make much difference... it has a MicroSD slot. You will not fill 8GB with apps... even on my Galaxy S III I probably used around 3GB with loads of intensive apps installed.

Caporegime
OP
8GB is not the difficult to fill with apps.

Fair enough if you are a heavy gamer it may be easier, but for me who doesn't really ise a phone for gaming, and when he does doesn't play intensive 3D games, it's fine.

Anyway don't believe the 8GB rumour just yet, I would be surprised if they put less than 16GB in given how cheap and standardit is.

Caporegime
OP
Don't forget that 8gb will probably house the OS as well so you'll easily fill the remaining space with apps especially if you use Google music with its cache

Personally I think that the 8GB part doesn't make sense anyway given the rest of the specs, but we will see in a month or two I guess!

Caporegime
OP
same..

I'd love sony to do it but I can't see it happening if they did it would really be a good choice for those that want a smaller phone! :)

snappie 600
2gb ram
4.3 screen
720p res
20mpx sensor
alu body
sony design
waterproof
wireless charging
good audio chip
16/32gb internal + sd card

and you've got a top end MINI phone IMO.

Its obviously going to be the same design as the Z1 but shrunk, so take away the bits from that list that the Z1 doesn't have, like alu body etc

Looks good, I rather they just stick with a lower end chipset like dual core S4 and adreno 320 (pretty much the moto X "setup") in order to cut the price down somewhat (or use the money they save and put it towards areas where we would see a noticeable difference i.e. camera, battery, screen) plus with a 720P screen, there really isn't any need for a more powerful GPU & it is pointless having that sort of power anyway due to the thermal throttling with that chipset.

Lets hope that the screen is of good quality (in terms of viewing angles and not being washed out) and Sony improve their support/updates + don't release about 5 different versions of this phone :p

Meh, Snapdragon 600 at a minimum please... I want it as future-proof as possible so it doesn't feel like a dog 1.5 years down the line (like the SII did).

Caporegime
OP
I also have an S2 (well, I did until last week when it died), and it is certainly starting to show its age now (modded clean ROM too), lags and chugs a bit when there's a lot going on, whereas my SIII is smooth in comparison when doing the same stuff. The S2 is one of the greatest phones ever made, but it's still an older platform and CPU so you can't expect miracles forever.

Caporegime
OP
The GS 2 is about 2 and a half years old now and as other people have said above it still runs well (number of friends have one) and am sure if you stick on an AOSP based ROM I bet it would fly along with there only being a few milliseconds difference between it and last years phone.

Perhaps it was the custom ROM that you were trying?

The ROM was fine and for the most part silky smooth, I have owned an S2 for years (since it was released, till one week ago), and have tried many ROMs and mods, so really I do know what I'm talking about when forming my own opinions. If you think it is as silky smooth when running intensive apps and transitioning between intensive apps as the new phones which are 2-3x more powerful then that's fine I'm not arguing with that, but as gentlemen we'll just agree to disagree. :)

eh? xperia z1 has alu body/frame w/e you want to call it :)

Ahh, alu frame... meh, ok, not quite HTC One-esque, but will provide good structural tension I guess.

Check out anandtechs moto x review, they do a SoC comparison to the quad core 1.9ghz S4. Hint: there's FA difference. The quad throttles after a few seconds and even ends up being slower...

The S2 feels like a dog due to the limited memory? Also Kriat was the first cpu that made Android flawless, the S800 should be a bit faster thanks to the newer TSMC node but it shouldnt change the general performance.

I'm sure the Moto X is a great phone now, and the SOC may be only marginally behind the 600/800, but in 2 years we don't know where Android will be, and I fail to see why you would not put greater than a 600 SOC in there considering it is current tech and readily available.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Finally, its announced for the EU! http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-z1-compact-331116/ :D

Sony announces the Xperia Z1 Compact, a ‘no comprise’ 4.3-inch handset

At tonight’s Sony press conference, the Xperia Z1 Compact was finally officially unveiled. As excepted, the handset is essentially just as powerful as its bigger brother, only in a more condensed from with a lower-resolution display.

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is certainly a welcome addition in a world where most “miniature” handsets tend to deviate far from the specs found in the phones they are named after.

Specs and features

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact packs a 720p 4.3-inch display and the same Snapdragon 800 CPU found inside the Z1. The design similar to the previously released Japanese Xperia Z1f, though a few things have been changed around a bit.

Here’s the full skinny on what to expect from the Xperia Z1 Compact:

• 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU
  • Adren 330 GPU
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 20.7MP camera with Sony G-Lens and Bionz mobile
  • 2MP front-cam
  • Video recording:1080p @ 30fps video capture, both cameras
  • Storage: 16GB with microSD for expansion
  • Battery: 2300 mAh
  • 4.3-inch Triluminous IPS display with 720p resolution, 341 ppi
  • WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, A-GPS+GLONASS, microUSB 2.0 (MHL), BlueTooth 4.0 LE
  • Dimensions: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm, 137g
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, planned upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat
  • 2,300 mAh battery
  • multi-touch input, proximity sensor, FM Radio, built-in accelerometer
  • Black, White, Pink, Lime, Yellow

As you can see, the Xperia Z1 Compact really is a beast, from its high-quality camera to its CPU and beyond. Sure, the display might not be as impressive as the Z1, but it’s still more than capable of providing a solid visual experience.

This may well be my next phone, but I will wait and see what the Sony Z2 Avatar is like first! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Any rumors of a 32gb version? Thats only thing stopping me from being interested, I don't understand the guys who design these things sometimes, why would anyone with half a braincell put all that horsepower in a phone then nerf the thing with low storage so you haven't enough room to run the apps that will actually use it?

Umm... it has a Micro SD slot. ;)

Caporegime
OP
Messing around like this is annoying. If this phone had 32gb it would be an instant buy for me, this one detail makes it a no buy.

It's very easy to root a phone and move apps to SD card... and very easy to reverse the process and unroot if necessary... it's certainly not a reason not to buy a phone you would otherwise love.

Caporegime
OP
Well, I just walked straight in my local store and picked one up, SIM-FREE, for the princely sum of 335GBP.

It's charging now and I'm going out on the lash tonight, so no way am I touching it till tomorrow. First impressions are screen is nice and sharp, build quality great, and the size is PERFECT. It charges very quickly too! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Oh. My. God.

I love this phone, I mean really love it. The size and weght are perfect, it feels like the Android equivalent of an iPhone, and whoever makes any reference to "omg the bezel is big" has no clue what they are talking about. It's a non-issue.

The speed and responsiveness of this phone are amazing. I have never owned a Snapdragon 800 before so maybe this is par the course for an SOC of this calibre, but the phone is lightning in its responsiveness.

The display is IPS, so like an IPS, is great. Enough said. Text legibility is great, basically like the Samsung Galaxy SII in size, so for me is perfect.

The call quality is great. The speaker is actually surprisingly decent, cleear with little distortion, but sadly positioned so that its easy to cover with your hand when holding it. However, in reality it's not a big issue.

The Sony UI is very clean, I like it more than Samsung Touchwiz, although overall functionality is probably less. However, considering Samsung tend to over-functionalise things seemingly for the sake of it, for me that's not an issue.

Camera, same as the Z1, very decent. Wireless speed, like lightning with my 802.11ac router... apps and updated download and install incredibly quick.

As for battery life, I will report back in a couple of days. Best phone I have ever owned. End of.

Excuse the short paragraphing, but I am currently hungover as hell. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There is one thing I am disappointed with... and that's the camera. The post-processing is god damn awful, and photos (at least in low light pubs, where I tested it yesterday) are noticeably worse than on the Samsung SIII, I would say more than twice as bad. Details are crushed by whatever the software does afterwards, and close up face shots look quite frankly terrible when you zoom in. Very annoying in an otherwise perfect phone.

Whether it's acceptable or not is a matter of taste, I suppose...

wWRmCqo.jpg.png

...but that is an undeniably big bezel. If wasted fascia doesn't bother you then I'm sure you'd get along with the phone fine. However the HTC One manages smaller bezels and it has speakers.

It's also a matter of having the phone in your hand. The bezel is basically as much a problem as it is on the iphone. So yes, a non-issue. The phone is perfectly sized.

Back
Top Bottom