War Thunder - Free PS4 WW2 Fighter Jet Game - Tips, Tricks, etc

Soldato
It's just a bug fix. Stops some of the crashing apparently some of them are still in this version linked with attacking ground targets.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.p...ying-ground-targets-with-machine-gunscannons/

The game is free and they have rolled out updates and fixes pretty fast.

I don't think we can really complain about improvements to the game.

Switch your console on then put it into standby mode and do something else. Or if your at work and someone else is in the house ask them to do it for you.

I'm glad they have patched the crashing tbh. I'm in the same boat as you used to have 120MB now on about 10MB.

Typically i turned my PS4 OFF last night (usually put in on standby) so it won't even start downloading it now until I get home at 11. then i'll be wanting to get Tomb Raider on.

Not moaning really, I was just getting into it last night.
:D

First World Problems eh ;)
I must get in the habit of leaving it on Standby esp as I have PS+.

Caporegime
OP
Typically i turned my PS4 OFF last night (usually put in on standby) so it won't even start downloading it now until I get home at 11. then i'll be wanting to get Tomb Raider on.

Not moaning really, I was just getting into it last night.
:D

First World Problems eh ;)
I must get in the habit of leaving it on Standby esp as I have PS+.

Standby is useless it won't start any new downloads automatically. I hope Sony patch that soon.

It will only download patches that it starts when it is actually on. Such a stupid way of doing things, basically no point in standby at all the old way was far better.

Therefore standby is useless in these scenarios.

For anyone who wants to know how to speed up grinding read this.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/92245-rp-gain-basic-rules-step-by-step/

Especially the bit about researching planes from another tier, only a percentage of your rp goes towards the plane unless it's in the same tier.

Basically if your in tier 2 researching tier 3 planes only 30% of your rp counts. Better off using tier 3 planes to research them

Soldato
Standby is useless it won't start any new downloads automatically. I hope Sony patch that soon.

It will only download patches that it starts when it is actually on. Such a stupid way of doing things, basically no point in standby at all the old way was far better.

Therefore standby is useless in these scenarios.

For anyone who wants to know how to speed up grinding read this.

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/92245-rp-gain-basic-rules-step-by-step/

Especially the bit about researching planes from another tier, only a percentage of your rp goes towards the plane unless it's in the same tier.

Basically if your in tier 2 researching tier 3 planes only 30% of your rp counts. Better off using tier 3 planes to research them

hmmmmm I read that it would start any application downloads while it was in standby as long as you have PS+.

and that it will start any system updates in standby even without PS+.

"PlayStation Plus: With Automatic Download, trial versions of games, game update data while in standby ... If you already have the content on your system"

Or did I read that wrong? Can't link to Sony PS webpage from here sorry.

Caporegime
OP
hmmmmm I read that it would start any application downloads while it was in standby as long as you have PS+.

and that it will start any system updates in standby even without PS+.

"PlayStation Plus: With Automatic Download, trial versions of games, game update data while in standby ... If you already have the content on your system"

Or did I read that wrong? Can't link to Sony PS webpage from here sorry.

It used to work on the PS3.

Basically on the PS3 it would turn the console on at the predetermined time (i set mine to 6am), look for any updates for the system or any games you have played, download and install them and then turn off.

On the PS4 I had mine on standby and when i turned it on today it started downloading BF4 and War Thunder after I had switched it on.

I then put it back into standby to continue the downloads.

Automatic standby downloads is broken, well it is on my ps4. Hope sony fix that soon because standby atm is pretty useless.

Soldato
It used to work on the PS3.

Basically on the PS3 it would turn the console on at the predetermined time (i set mine to 6am), look for any updates for the system or any games you have played, download and install them and then turn off.

On the PS4 I had mine on standby and when i turned it on today it started downloading BF4 and War Thunder after I had switched it on.

I then put it back into standby to continue the downloads.

Automatic standby downloads is broken, well it is on my ps4. Hope sony fix that soon because standby atm is pretty useless.

Do you have PS+?

Soldato
WTF is with this stupid game? You go in to the game, create an account on the PS4 using the browser and it asks you to download the PC client. LOL!

Can't even figure out how to log in!

Caporegime
OP
Played a few games with Mike there, it's quite hard playing together tactically, I think it's best either to bomb the same targets together or just go into a certain area of the map and just attack nearest target to you and help someone if they need it rather than both of you actively working together constantly.

That's how I find it anyway, it's best to stick within say 2-3 km's going for anyone you like and if someone shouts for help then see if your close enough to help otherwise just continue going for opposition.

BHombing together obviously is the most effective way of actually working together tactically. Easy wins and RP.

Do you have PS+?

Yes lol, it's a known issue standby auto downloads isn't working for a lot of people.

Added everyone from the list, so if you see a friend request from Thundery0308, it's me.

added you to OP and friends list bud

Really enjoying this, halfway through pilot level 2

what's your PSN?

Associate
I agree, twin wellies works well, so does hunting in same region, nice to call in back up :)

Played a few games with Mike there, it's quite hard playing together tactically, I think it's best either to bomb the same targets together or just go into a certain area of the map and just attack nearest target to you and help someone if they need it rather than both of you actively working together constantly.

That's how I find it anyway, it's best to stick within say 2-3 km's going for anyone you like and if someone shouts for help then see if your close enough to help otherwise just continue going for opposition.

BHombing together obviously is the most effective way of actually working together tactically. Easy wins and RP.

Yes lol, it's a known issue standby auto downloads isn't working for a lot of people.

added you to OP and friends list bud

what's your PSN?

Caporegime
OP
Will be interesting having the PC OcUK squad and the console squad fly together we can show you our H6K4 tactics lol

Didn't realise there was a PC squad on here. I should have looked tbh never ventured into the PC games bit in years now.

We don't have many regulars on PS4 tbh.

Do you have a Squadron? if not you can join ours.

Would love to squad up but I don't know how voice comms will work across PS4 and PC, we usually use the PS4 party chat system.

Any tips for us newbs?

Soldato
Had a quick play on release day but hadn't really gave this much time.

Now I'm really enjoying it. Not too sure about the gold lion heads? What do they do?

But over all I'm loving the game and even better it's free.

I'm playing as the British at the moment, favourite plane is hurricane mk1 (as that's all I have lol)

Other starter planes are fun too but their guns need a little work.

Any tips on upgrading or planes welcome.

Oh and bullet types? I'm on default at the moment.
Psn name in sig if anyone wants to play.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a quick play on release day but hadn't really gave this much time.

Now I'm really enjoying it. Not too sure about the gold lion heads? What do they do?

But over all I'm loving the game and even better it's free.

I'm playing as the British at the moment, favourite plane is hurricane mk1 (as that's all I have lol)

Other starter planes are fun too but their guns need a little work.

Any tips on upgrading or planes welcome.

Oh and bullet types? I'm on default at the moment.
Psn name in sig if anyone wants to play.

I did the same mate, fired it up, got confused tried a round or 2 and left it but it sounds really good so any beginners tips would be great :)

Caporegime
OP
many tips in this thread:

russian planes are OP so best to use them as a second faction in combo with the brits.

use eagles on advanced training of crews only anything else would be a waste.

use specific crews for specific types of planes, e.g. 2 bomber crews on which you upgrade the gunners, etc whereas on the other crews you upgrade the pilot, etc.

best to try and get the most out of your game time than chase targets for hours, e.g. your in a game for a certain amount of time, best to go for easy targets and kill them quick and move on rather than climb up and chase a bomber for 10+ minutes. in the 15 minutes it took you to take out that one bomber I could have taken out 10+ easier targets meaning I get a much higher score/RP, etc.

most of it is using your initiative and skill tbh, never take on a powerful plane head on, pre fire at weak/same level head on opponents aiming slightly above them to account for bullet drop. best to avoid head on confrontations though, if someone is coming head on to you try and veer off to the side and turn onto their back if you can.

the best bullets are stealth or the most expensive ones usually whichever they may be.

tracers just give your position away.

Back
Top Bottom