War Thunder - Free PS4 WW2 Fighter Jet Game - Tips, Tricks, etc

Soldato
Russia have the best planes in Arcade mode, once realistic battles are opened UK/USA are good bets so choose carefully what country you want to be. It does take a good time to work your way up the tiers so starting afresh as I have done atm moving from UK to Russia can be time consuming!

Don't know too much about the US planes though, apart from the fact their early bombers are easy meat as they are literally huge!

I used to play IL-2 Sturmovik back in the day, nearly went for Russia too :D

Am I making it harder for myself by playing as GB? Very tempted to start again this afternoon as USSR as I've only put about 2hrs in so far and a lot of that was just free flight messing about.

Soldato
All the planes are boosted in Arcade mode (all that's available for online multiplayer atm on PS4, realistic battles are only against AI for now) which means the Russian planes are more powerful than the other countries.

Like I say, once realistic battles are fully live either US/UK/Rus are good choices. For now going Russian is the best plan, even the Tier 1 planes have better guns. For example the Russian Lagg is an early tier 1 plane and starts with MG & 20mm Cannon. With the UK you have to research a few planes to get a cannon equipped plane.

Caporegime
OP
It's best to just pick 2 factions imo.

UK (the motherland) and Russia (the developers homeland).

Turn auto-repair off (helps save on lions and force you to use other planes).

Then switch between the 2 factions. I play a game or two as the russians, destroyed all my planes then play a game or 2 as the UK and once they are destroyed my russians should have automatically repaired now for free.

I'm not running short on lions either but I think I may need them once I hit tier 5 and the planes get ridiculously expensive for buying and repairing.

Spend any eagles you have on getting more crews or upgrading them focusing on advanced gunners for your bomber crews and maintenance on other crews. Don't waste them on planes or upgrades imo.

Caporegime
OP
You have access to all of them.

R1 or L1 on main menu.

On another note there is a huge update out on ps4, anyone know what it's for?

Wow all the menus and planes have changed like all the pictures and the research tree.

Researching is now different too, easier to unlock planes within tiers.

Graphics look much better as well

Last edited:
Soldato
You have access to all of them.

R1 or L1 on main menu.

On another note there is a huge update out on ps4, anyone know what it's for?

Wow all the menus and planes have changed like all the pictures and the research tree.

Researching is now different too, easier to unlock planes within tiers.

Graphics look much better as well

Ah I didn't realise that thanks.

Yeah saw the note about servers being down today from 07:00 -11:00 while I was playing last night.
Hopefully my PS4 will have already downloaded it by the time I get back home. How many MB was the patch/update it out of interest?

Caporegime
OP
Ah I didn't realise that thanks.

Yeah saw the note about servers being down today from 07:00 -11:00 while I was playing last night.
Hopefully my PS4 will have already downloaded it by the time I get back home. How many MB was the patch/update it out of interest?

I think it's the full game 3600mb

The whole thing has changed, the graphics are now outstanding

Caporegime
OP
Game crashed on my third battle. Could be to do with the new version.

They have improved the game a lot, looks completely different.

Planes now have overheating issues if you use wep or 110% throttle a lot. Damage systems have been overhauled.

Absolutely fantastic

Caporegime
OP
Good to hear Psycho, what's the new version number? Would like to find the patch notes for it.

So many changes researching has been improved a lot.

You can now use points on more than one upgrade at a time

Just crashed again on first battle had to unplug ps4 both times to reboot it.

I'm going to uninstall the full game and download from scratch.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Can't find patch notes, PC version is apparently on patch 1.37.45.12 so they are getting close in terms of parity.

It's like a whole new game tbh, I noticed that the earth is fully detailed now.

It's like going from ps3 to ps4 it's a huge jump in graphics, I can see ground targets in amazing detail whilst flying towards them. I managed to take out a bases AA in 3 runs, normally take me 6 usually.

It's basically like playing on a decent PC graphics wise.

I'm hoping this crashing gets fixed soon or by me reinstalling.

Caporegime
OP
I am downloading now will let you know if i get any of the crashing .

After I updated I went into 2 battles no problem, on the third it crashed then again straight after I had to unplug the PS4 and load it back up.

So it might not happen straight away took a few battles before my original crash.

You should see the difference pretty much as soon as you load it up, everything has changed bar the layout. It was amazing until the crashing hit obviously. A breath of fresh air to the game which was starting to stagnate a little.

Matchmaking is now different too, you can see how many players are online and how many current battles there are, etc. They have literally upgraded everything.

Back
Top Bottom