CRZ Supercharged * 2020 revival *

Soldato
Seems like silly money for not a great gain.

Plus could you keep it on standard brakes? You won't get the same MPG figure you are claiming now either. Does tax stay the same? How does it affect insurance?

GT86 would be better in all aspects IMHO

Soldato
I had a very notchy gearbox, especially when cold. Took it to the dealer to investigate who changed the oil. When I got the car back I could no longer change down to 2nd within the first 5 miles of driving until the gearbox warmed up. Toyota denied this was a fault, called it a "characteristic" and that all cars suffered with it.

While mine was in for further tests I had a loan GT86 for the weekend which was completely different, no issues at all. As Toyota refused to repair my car (no fault, as diagnosed by Toyota GB and not just the dealer) the dealer offered to swap the gearboxes over with the loan car. Not had the issue since.

Funny you mention that. When I had a test drive of the BRZ I told the dealership about the gearbox feeling very notchy and hard to get into gear at times, but other times I really enjoyed the feel of the box. They dismissed it.... it's probably had a replacement box by now :D

Soldato
OP
Seems like silly money for not a great gain.

Plus could you keep it on standard brakes? You won't get the same MPG figure you are claiming now either. Does tax stay the same? How does it affect insurance?

GT86 would be better in all aspects IMHO

Brakes, yes as they are the same as S2000 brakes bar the smaller disc. I have been looking into bigger options anyway.

Tax will remain the same. I don't think tax ever changes on a individual basis.

Insurance will increase but only marginally.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mazda 3 MPS? Would get you a Mk2.

I have always liked these.

A quick look on auto trader could get me a 2011 one with around 30-40K for £11-12K.

Are they ruinous on fuel? I know they can be tuned well and have a good spec.

Well I know you are quite adamant that you don't want an older car, so is something like an '09 S2000 off the cards entirely?

Most likely as I find the S2000 quite small and claustrophobic inside and I dont think it is the best suited to motorway driving.

Soldato
OP
How much has the CRZ already 'cost' you in terms of depreciation?

I bought in Dec 2012 for £12,800 with 16,000 on the clock.

Now sits at 38,000 and estimated worth of £8.5-9K.

Reason I want to change in Dec is that I would have owned it for 2 years and I can't see it depreciating more now that it has past the "out of warranty/MOT" threshold.

Soldato
Are they ruinous on fuel? I know they can be tuned well and have a good spec.

Depends how heavy your foot is. I test drove one and it was quite nice - all Mk.2 MPSes come with everything included in the spec afaik so there's no "hunting for the right one".

I don't expect it'll be anywhere near your CRZ in fuel economy but compared to it's rivals (Focus ST, Golf R32, GTI Ed.30, Megane RS etc.) it's going to be somewhere in the middle.

Anywhere nearby you could take one for a test drive?

Soldato
OP
Depends how heavy your foot is. I test drove one and it was quite nice - all Mk.2 MPSes come with everything included in the spec afaik so there's no "hunting for the right one".

I don't expect it'll be anywhere near your CRZ in fuel economy but compared to it's rivals (Focus ST, Golf R32, GTI Ed.30, Megane RS etc.) it's going to be somewhere in the middle.

Anywhere nearby you could take one for a test drive?

I may go and test drive one this weekend. Just looking at insurance now.

Back
Top Bottom