• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Metro LL bench maxed @4K screenshots

Soldato
Strange thing to say considering FXAA is known for being too blurry. :confused:

There was a comparison posted here a while ago between FXAA, SSAA and MSAA and although the sample size was only 1 or 2 games, it looked pretty convincing.

Caporegime
It must very from game to game, every time I have seen it thus far (Diablo 3, Guildwars 2, Wildstar, etc) it just makes the game look like it's running the Nintendo 64 full screen blur filter, looks better without it.

Strange thing to say considering FXAA is known for being too blurry. :confused:

There was a comparison posted here a while ago between FXAA, SSAA and MSAA and although the sample size was only 1 or 2 games, it looked pretty convincing.

Agreed. FXAA adds blur, it's a post processing effect. It comes with the territory.

Soldato
<snip>

Power consumpsion is higher than at lower resolutions as the CPU does not hold the GPUs back. My Titans have never had a problem with a EVGA1500 watt PSU (it can handle peaks of 1650 watts). When I benched Sky Diver @4K the Titans demolished the PSU very easily.

<snip>

Where the GPUs work harder they produce more heat.

<snip>

These are the things I've always found (to a much lesser degree) running crossfire & 5760x1080. Makes it very difficult to compare temperatures with other people as I'm always told my cards are running too hot because their cards at 1080P aren't getting as hot. I've always assumed it's just higher res = more work for GPUs = more heat but it's good to see you're finding the same thing.

If you get the chance, is there any possibility of seeing if PCI-E generation has a higher impact with the higher resolution? I know PCI-E 2 to 3 has a limited impact at 1080P (less than 5% from memory?) but wondering if that increases with 4K. To be honest, I just want to know how much my 2600K is holding back my two 290s at 3K as to whether it's worth the money to upgrade to Ivybridge/Haswell - I'm hoping not as I haven't got the money to spend! :D

Caporegime
Also interested. In how many of those games are you using x8-x4 AA? Can you notice a difference and does it lower vram usage enough if you use x2AA or some form of FXAA instead?

Man of Honour
OP
Which games are you using more than 4Gb in, using DX?

Crysis 3 I get good fps on the 290Xs but also big drops every few seconds when I hit the memory buffer.

Hitman when it exits the bench, I have to wait about 15 seconds or so when the PC is exiting the bench and the fps drop by about 20fps while everything is frozen and doing nothing.

Mantle is the real nightmare with minimums of less than 3fps on the Thief bench.

When I am next off work I will do more benching and testing.

It is not really the answer for anyone to suggest that we can reduce the settings to get things running as this defeats the point of 4K and I may as well get my 1gb HD 5970s out to run at the resolution.

I think it is important if people can posts their experiences of using 4K (including the bad bits) so anyone considering the resolution can make an informed decision as to whether it is for them or not.

Man of Honour
OP
If you get the chance, is there any possibility of seeing if PCI-E generation has a higher impact with the higher resolution? I know PCI-E 2 to 3 has a limited impact at 1080P (less than 5% from memory?) but wondering if that increases with 4K. To be honest, I just want to know how much my 2600K is holding back my two 290s at 3K as to whether it's worth the money to upgrade to Ivybridge/Haswell - I'm hoping not as I haven't got the money to spend! :D

Thanks for reminding me, this is something I will test very soon.:)

Caporegime
Crysis 3 I get good fps on the 290Xs but also big drops every few seconds when I hit the memory buffer.

Hitman when it exits the bench, I have to wait about 15 seconds or so when the PC is exiting the bench and the fps drop by about 20fps while everything is frozen and doing nothing.

Mantle is the real nightmare with minimums of less than 3fps on the Thief bench.

When I am next off work I will do more benching and testing.

It is not really the answer for anyone to suggest that we can reduce the settings to get things running as this defeats the point of 4K and I may as well get my 1gb HD 5970s out to run at the resolution.

I think it is important if people can posts their experiences of using 4K (including the bad bits) so anyone considering the resolution can make an informed decision as to whether it is for them or not.

:D

So you're telling me at 4k you can tell the difference between x8AA and x2AA? I've no doubt that 4gb is not enough for every title at the absolutely highest settings, mantle aside. But i bet it is enough for X2-x4AA in most titles and if not FXAA in others. I bet the difference in image quality is unnoticeable at such a high resolution. You yourself just said you can hardly see a difference between 1600P and 4K, except in Civ.

Last edited:
Associate
If I was considering going 4K, I would definitely be using 2x SLI Titans as a minimum to be honest. Seems like their 6GB VRAM really does help at this resolution. Hopefully Maxwell will be more suited as a whole to 4K if I am tempted by that time to upgrade :)

Man of Honour
OP

So you're telling me at 4k you can tell the difference between x8AA and x2AA? I've no doubt that 4gb is not enough for every title at the absolutely highest settings, mantle aside. But i bet it is enough for X2-x4AA in most titles and if not FXAA in others. I bet the difference in image quality is unnoticeable at such a high resolution. You yourself just said you can hardly see a difference between 1600P and 4K, except in Civ.

The question is can you use it or not, it is as simple as that.:)

Soldato

Yes

Going from 1600 to 4K there is a big difference in image quality using the same settings.

Screen shots can't do it justice

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

I have just run Sleeping Dogs @4K maxed using PCI-E 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0

The results are startling so I am going to start a new thread for it as I think it is important for anyone considering 4K. I will post the link here in a minute.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26557880#post26557880

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes

Going from 1600 to 4K there is a big difference in image quality using the same settings.

Screen shots can't do it justice

Screenshots please. :p

He is spot on Matt, screenies don't do it justice and I even remember you saying how much the IQ was better by going to 1440P, so you can easily imagine how much the IQ is going to 2160P.

Nah you don't need all that AA but need and can are different things :D

4K bench threads would be tough for some of the GPUs out and the 8GB 290X or the 6GB nVidia cards are the cards to compete.

Back
Top Bottom