what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Crap?
Lol it's anything but crap tbh. That's how "I" have my layout as it suits my monitor and how I have windows positioned. All the necessary content visible as needed.

I will browse too after a quick game, I don't think I've actually added anyone other than yourself on there and maybe one other friend. I should add more :D

I certainly don't use it as much as I probably should.

Anything really weird is the fault of my 2 year old! He's obsessed with flicking through album art/tracks in the iPad app!

Soldato
can't pull a list but i listen to everything from Ska-punk to drum and bass all the way to classical, and everything in between I would say the only thing I don't do is listen to must have the trash in the charts sure the occasional song finds its way into my play lists but not very often.

Thanks to MrK i've been listening to Childish Gambino recently ;)

Soldato
Recently I decided to treat myself to a new audio setup, including headphones.

You know how you start doing research on the internet for the best value, but before you know it it's spiralled out of control and you can seemingly justify really silly purchases that were once way beyond your original budget?

This, basically :D

adventures-in-grotesquely-extravagant-headphonics-01.jpg

adventures-in-grotesquely-extravagant-headphonics-02.jpg

Some notes:

The Audeze LCD-XCs are phenomenal [as you should damn well expect!]. To use the tried-and-tested car analogy: you know that car that's a cross between a chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce and a Lotus Seven? Well, it's like one of those, only more existy :D

My once-trusty Beyer DT880s sound and feel like a toy in comparison.

The Benchmark's Polarity button is only on for the eye-candy.

I've just posed the Audezes on the Benchmark for the photo; the DAC2 runs rather warm [it'll be a fantastic handwarmer this winter] so putting anything wooden on it for an extended period would be asking for trouble.

Mini-XLRs are the cutest thing evar.

I am a terrible photographer.

Soldato
After a quick Google that's a fair treat :eek:
I'll admit, this is easily the most extravagant purchase I've ever made. But after 20 years of surfing the poverty line being someone else's dog, the business that I set up as a last throw of the lifedice four years ago has turned out to be a success. It's been earned rather than gifted, I'd like to think :)

Unfortunately it's unlikely that I'll be able to make use of your recommendations :(
If you don't need closed-back phones, then my recommendation would be the LCD-2s. Half the cost, but much more than half the quality, the LCD-2s are clearly better value for money. Still not cheap, admittedly, but not eye-watering either.

The Benchmark was bought for its extra features and connectivity; used solely as a DAC+headphone amp it's overkill. If you only need a DAC+amp and are prepared to go second-hand, you can pick up a DAC1 for a much more sensible price.

In fact, while I was waiting for the DAC2 to turn up, I ran the Audezes through an Epiphany E-DAC and my old Headroom Micro Desktop amp [combined cost: less than 300 quid?] and that was still a lovely listening experience. So you don't *have* to cough up as much as I did for an audio treat that involves mini XLRs :D

Last edited:
Associate
Which looks a lot when baldly displayed like that. but then I go to the Watch thread over in GD, and see people paying that much for what is essentially glorified jewelry, and suddenly it seems more reasonable :D
That my friend is genius justification and logic, just a shame I fancy a flashy watch too :D
If you've done well enough in life to afford a treat our two then why not. No point working hard and not getting any benefit from it!
It maybe sounds more expensive because the the items are quite small and subtle.
Thinking about it, if I add up the cost of my HiFi I've spent a fair bit to build my system and now seem to be moving into the headphone world a bit more. Currently looking for a dac...

Soldato
If you've got it then £3200 for a setup of that quality is very easy to justify when you consider the huge number of hours of enjoyment you'll get out of it - and there is nowhere left to go on the upgrade train. :D

Soldato
Just added a shiny new pair of Sennheiser HD 650's to the collection - I fell in love with them about ten seconds into the first song I played (Saint Judas by Natalie Merchant). :)

Now in residence:

Sennheiser HD 650
AKG K702 (modded)
Beyer DT 990 pro (250 ohm)
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser PX-100
Sony MDR XB30EX (earphones)

maj

maj

Soldato
Just added a shiny new pair of Sennheiser HD 650's to the collection - I fell in love with them about ten seconds into the first song I played (Saint Judas by Natalie Merchant). :)

Now in residence:

Sennheiser HD 650
AKG K702 (modded)
Beyer DT 990 pro (250 ohm)
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser PX-100
Sony MDR XB30EX (earphones)

How do you get round to using them all:p

Caporegime
Recently I decided to treat myself to a new audio setup, including headphones.

You know how you start doing research on the internet for the best value, but before you know it it's spiralled out of control and you can seemingly justify really silly purchases that were once way beyond your original budget?

Ooooh, I love myself a bit of wood ;)

Beautiful.

And yes, absolutely...FAR too often but YOLO and all that jazz. I am very guilty of this too.

Not headphones related but music related

PRS Stripped 58 with Bogner Atma amplifier and Bogner Cube speaker.

20mXr0u.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
How do you get round to using them all:p

I don't :D

The HD 650's and 702's will go on the mug tree
DT 990's sent to the bench (cupboard actually)
The Sony ear buds are for my tablet and general mobile use.

The Sony MDR-V6 and the Sennheiser PX-100 will be passed along to my nephews.

Back
Top Bottom