Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Soldato
Seagate starts shipping 8TB hard drives that cost only $260

This product is part of the brand's new Archive HDD line launched a few months ago, which uses Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) technology that can fit more data on a platter than the typical drive. The line also includes 6TB and 5TB options, if 8TB is already excessive.
Seagate has just started shipping out units to retailers

*Taps foot impatiently while glaring at OCUK*

Associate
£206 at that rate something I highly doubt.

Another time for people in the UK to get shafted.

Though looking back at how many Seagate drives I have had and how many have died the last one being last week, I don't think I will waste my money on one.

Soldato
OP
Hmmms According to XE.com 260usd is 165gbp. but that doesnt matter because with electronics 100usd ends up as 100gbp!
Either way, out of all the drives I've had seagate have always been my most reliable. I know other people have different experiences but you stick to what you know!

Caporegime
They have been known for being a little unreliable in comparison to other manufacturers, however I wouldn't worry too unduly. Any drives can fail, and I have several Seagates which have lasted years. The oldest is over 10 years old! Though of the three HDD's that have failed on me over the years, one was a Seagate Barracuda, one was a Seagate Momentus, and the other was a Western Digital WD800 which can be forgiven for being ancient.

I wouldn't necessarily pay much mind to the HDD reliability statistics online, they all seem to be from the same source. A "Backblaze" data centre.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom