Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Soldato
Seagate starts shipping 8TB hard drives that cost only $260

This product is part of the brand's new Archive HDD line launched a few months ago, which uses Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) technology that can fit more data on a platter than the typical drive. The line also includes 6TB and 5TB options, if 8TB is already excessive.
Seagate has just started shipping out units to retailers

*Taps foot impatiently while glaring at OCUK*

Soldato
OP
Hmmms According to XE.com 260usd is 165gbp. but that doesnt matter because with electronics 100usd ends up as 100gbp!
Either way, out of all the drives I've had seagate have always been my most reliable. I know other people have different experiences but you stick to what you know!

Soldato
OP
See I've never been too worried about that whole aspect. Anything important I keep on a mirrored raid NAS. Everything on these drives... well lets just say I have decent enough internet to get most things on demand if they go missing. Having the drive just saves me searching.
Ofcourse this logic doesnt apply to people who use it for mass video editing of their private stash, but these are aimed at infrequent use archiving.

Soldato
OP
True, I think between Titanfall, COD AW, and BF4 they're taking up circa 180GB and that's not taking in to account any future DLC's :eek:

Hehe try adding things like Borderlands (1) in there, and warcraft. Those hitch up 25gb each I think! They're my biggest space hogs. Although I retired warcraft to an archive drive a year or two back when I stopped playing, I still cant pursuade myself to part with Borderlands 1, not enjoyed 2 and 3!

Ofcourse its a good thing my most played games are small things like terraria, factorio, and minecraft!

Soldato
OP
i think COD AW requires about 52GB of space so its not a small game!

these drives are far too much than I would ever use.

Holy bananas! Glad I stopped playing the CoD franchise :( My poor internet connection would melt with that!
<3 Terraria 10mbyte. 950hours and counting. bought for £1.50. Thats the best value for money and storage I have ever had :) But thats only because steam doesnt time my minecraft usage! That would be in the several thousand easily!

Soldato
OP
Another etailer has them listed but no pre order or eta. Earlyer in this thread LordBarrass says end of January.

There's news of a 10TB drive being released next year that will use six 1.66TB platters, I hope these 8TB drives are using 5 platters or less and come in at under £200.

Indeed he said availability end of Jan but pricing soon, so was hoping I could get a goal to save for hehe. If they do come in under £200 its a definite purchase!

Soldato
OP
I think we are at a time in life where the lifespan of misusing hardware is longer then the lifespan of said hardware becoming obsolete.
For example, overclocking processors takes their lifespan from 50 years to like 10 years or something I remember reading a while back. Anyone who overclocks likely replaces the processors every few years.
Same with storage drives. Anyone using desktop drives as always on server / nas drives likely would replace them every few years with greater capacities anyway.

I generally ignore the lifetime reduction warnings...

Soldato
OP
Tut. Bunch of moaners! If it's cheaper than 2x 4gb then what's the tears for hehe. If it's cheaper elsewhere go elsewhere but I tend to find ocuk cheaper when you balance out things like free p+p and their customer service and forums features.

Soldato
OP
Personally I would use this for videos and such, but not so much for games. Stuff that wont be accessed often or not many writes and rewrites. But then I do the same on all large drives, mainly because I tend to buy slightly cheaper and slower drives.

Soldato
OP
FYI, Seagate continues it's great rep for HDDs. One of mine failed within 33 days of use... Luckily no important data on it or data I don't have elsewhere but still... Great quality!!! :(

See this is odd, everyone I know has such different experiances on harddrives. Personally I've had hitatchi, WD, and toshiba all fail on me 100%, but Seagate I've never lost one. But I know other people who have lost all their Seagates and swear by WD.
I guess its just RNG trolling us!

Back
Top Bottom