The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
If you aren't bothered about drilling holes in your desk then go for one of the types that are a pole right into your desk.

B-Tech Bt7304, for example. You can get a 100x100 to 200x200 conversion plate as well.

Soldato
If you aren't bothered about drilling holes in your desk then go for one of the types that are a pole right into your desk.

B-Tech Bt7304, for example. You can get a 100x100 to 200x200 conversion plate as well.

My desk it tempered glass, so I can't drill holes - I'd need to mount something at the back, and it'd need an arm... hmm

Can't find anything suitable for 200x200, might have to stick with the stand,

Associate
I use an Ergotron LX arm with my current monitor. It's got a max weight spec of 11.3kg so should be OK to hold the Philips 8.5kg weight.

I'll just need to buy a "vesa adaptor plate" which a quick google search suggests I can get one for £8.

Soldato
I use an Ergotron LX arm with my current monitor. It's got a max weight spec of 11.3kg so should be OK to hold the Philips 8.5kg weight.

I'll just need to buy a "vesa adaptor plate" which a quick google search suggests I can get one for £8.

Yeah,

Reading the reviews, a lot of people are saying it's strong and heavy duty - seems to work well with the bigger monitors, might be the one...

Soldato
Hey chaps, bit of a gfx/monitor noob.

I was going to get one of those 34" curved monitors but after all the chat of bleed I think I will go or one of these. Current monitor is a 27" benq which cost £180 so this should be quite a step up for general purpose use.

A few questions:

1.) I have two 7850's. I guess this is enough to display but 4k gaming a nono. What kind of gfx setup would I need for 4k?
2.) what's this about needing a mini cable? Is dvi or hdmi cable not enough?
3.) I have a budget of £900 which I can expense. So this monitor leaves me £200-ish to spend on monitor relates accessories. Any OCUK sold accessories that would be nice to add?

Associate
Hey chaps, bit of a gfx/monitor noob.

I was going to get one of those 34" curved monitors but after all the chat of bleed I think I will go or one of these. Current monitor is a 27" benq which cost £180 so this should be quite a step up for general purpose use.

A few questions:

1.) I have two 7850's. I guess this is enough to display but 4k gaming a nono. What kind of gfx setup would I need for 4k?
2.) what's this about needing a mini cable? Is dvi or hdmi cable not enough?
3.) I have a budget of £900 which I can expense. So this monitor leaves me £200-ish to spend on monitor relates accessories. Any OCUK sold accessories that would be nice to add?
I've also got £900 to spend and have a gtx970 so answering the above questions will answer mine.thanks

Soldato
4K gaming is serious..

I'm running 2x 980GTXs and I wouldn't want to go less than that, 2x 970s would probably suffice though, with a single 980GTX I get around 30fps in most games @ 4k, the second card brings it to around 60.

Associate
There are a few things I'd like to see changed on this monitor:

1. The screen is too reflective for professional use, a matt finish would be perfect
2. The joystick button is around the back of the screen, it would make more sense to place it under the front of the bezel
3. No easy access to a volume control, it's in a sub menu.
4. As has been mentioned, a useful adjustable stand is essential

Other than it's fantastic value.

Associate
The colour/brightness smearing has put me off this monitor.
What I don't understand is why it's happening. I can comprehend a change in brightness due to the backlight increasing a portion of the horizontal or vertical brightness, but colour bleed? I have failed to google the cause of it.

Soldato
There are a few things I'd like to see changed on this monitor:

1. The screen is too reflective for professional use, a matt finish would be perfect.

This is an environmental issue rather than an issue of professional usage. iMacs and Apple cinema displays are used in professional environments, and they're glass fronted displays which are a lot more reflective.

I use monitors without any AG coating professionally. AG coatings often add an unpleasant effect, in that the image is slightly softer and less sharp, with colours slightly muted too due to how the coating is diffusing the light coming from the display.

Soldato
I don't mind the finish - it's not glossy, and it seems to liven pictures up without being too reflective. But I can agree that for professional use it might be a bit much.

I think this monitor is ideal for gaming use though.

OcUK Staff
I don't mind the finish - it's not glossy, and it seems to liven pictures up without being too reflective. But I can agree that for professional use it might be a bit much.

I think this monitor is ideal for gaming use though.

It is designed for gaming, this is not a monitor for professionals, I suspect a professional grade version with calibrated panel would be 2-3x the cost.

Associate
Not sure that is quite the case Philips own website for this has images of professionals hudled around the screen with some CAD/CAM programs running, so I am sure their opinion differs.

Soldato
Not sure that is quite the case Philips own website for this has images of professionals hudled around the screen with some CAD/CAM programs running, so I am sure their opinion differs.

It certainly does, the requirements of displays are usually grossly over-exaggerated to justify the insane pricing on the ones actually sold in the "pro" market channels, and the guy's suggestion of it not being suitable for pro use was just based on it being glossy, which a fair amount of monitors aimed at the pro market are anyway.

Associate
Well got my monitor delivered today from Dpd. box had a gash just on top about 1 inch down. on looking at the inside the monitor is well over 2 inches away from the ripped box. on closer inspection the monitor looks ok no marks.
linked to pc ,and pc finds it but the monitor wont light up. tried a few hdmi leads and power leads still the same. phoned ocuk up and there picking it up tomorrow.
looked on the website now there out of stock,just my luck :(
ordered a ati r295x2 that comes tomorrow and i have no monitor :(

Associate
Well got my monitor delivered today from Dpd. box had a gash just on top about 1 inch down. on looking at the inside the monitor is well over 2 inches away from the ripped box. on closer inspection the monitor looks ok no marks.
linked to pc ,and pc finds it but the monitor wont light up. tried a few hdmi leads and power leads still the same. phoned ocuk up and there picking it up tomorrow.
looked on the website now there out of stock,just my luck :(
ordered a ati r295x2 that comes tomorrow and i have no monitor :(

These will be available in numbers from 16th feb and sub £600 just wait a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom