Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
I am really tempted to get a quad copter. Had the urge for quite some time now, i can see myself being able to make a few quid from having one. Should probably take the plunge and order a phantom 3, but large car bill is putting me off :(

Associate
Unless you've got experience I don't recommend diving in to something that expensive straight away :D. Try a simulator or cheap £30 model for a few weeks. You're basically guaranteed to crash your first one, best it be worth 1/20th the price of a Phantom!

Soldato
Unless you've got experience I don't recommend diving in to something that expensive straight away :D. Try a simulator or cheap £30 model for a few weeks. You're basically guaranteed to crash your first one, best it be worth 1/20th the price of a Phantom!

Or build a Q450 (basically a replica version of the DJIF450)

Get your hands dirty, dont buy a pre-built one

Associate
:) Yeah i had thought to buy something cheap to learn to fly on, as I am guaranteed to smash it!

Any reccomendations for a cheap setup with a camera for taking good aerial shots?

Caporegime
I am really tempted to get a quad copter. Had the urge for quite some time now, i can see myself being able to make a few quid from having one. Should probably take the plunge and order a phantom 3, but large car bill is putting me off :(

Plus "making a few quid" sound like commercial use, so should technically mean you need to ve licensed.

If your looking at something out of the box that's easy to fly and does good filming then get a Phantom 2.

Soldato
Still think the pre-built phantom series ones are overly expensive. The shell is ugly, the remote is ugly and lacking features, no fpv. If you break it (which is unlikely, as the bigger models are easy to fly with good failsafe features assuming you have a decent FC).

Associate
:) Yeah i had thought to buy something cheap to learn to fly on, as I am guaranteed to smash it!

Any reccomendations for a cheap setup with a camera for taking good aerial shots?

Cheap and good quality filming don't really go together, and you won't get an FPV that's particularly usable for less than £100 (that I know of). You can get fairly typical Hubsan/Syma models that film in a low resolution all the way up "HD" (so they say) for £40-100.

Soldato
Just had 3 batteries through the 250.

Good flight with fpv and some los. Althogh think my Mobius battery was struggling for battery so doubt I caught much footage. Will have a look when I'm home

EDITL yup, pretty much no footage to show, damn it.

Was doing some tight flying through some obsticals, trees, gaps, multiple rugby posts through fpv.

Better luck next time, didnt break any props, but these ones were chipped to hell when I went out from last use, they are not going to last much longer I dont think, I did lose the FPV signal as the battery were low on those too, and quad ended up in a thorn /tree patch, not fun when your wearing shorts

Last edited:
Soldato
It does get you hooked

I went out for another 3 battery flight with my 250 this morning, was quite a bit of wind about but managed to get a little bit of footage.

Had some sloppy moments, and 3 broken props. Damn it, I have a full set on now, and 3 spare, but the 3 spare are only one direction, so will have to order another set from the bay now.

Ah well

Mixture between horizon mode, with some flying between trees, and flying close(r) to the ground. Some in rate mode but I still am getting used to rate mode. I can only about manage flying straight, when it comes to turning etc I sometimes lose control of it.

Video maybe upcoming if it checks out ok.

Soldato
Video quality is questionable, I have to save it for youtube which still has 1080p but compresses it loads.

My upload is shocking here so only really do a good quality one when its a decent video

Soldato
Yeh I was doing the same with google maps, Its a bit harder in cardiff to where I used to live (about 30 mins away) there are plenty of places around, although I can be thankful that I am on the edge of cardiff, not the centre.

Start by looking for some public footpath fields, of some of these multi football fields/rugby fields, or get chatting to a local farmer who may let you on.

Or just find somewhere that has enough space and looks like you could get away with a cheeky bit of flying.

Iv not really had any issues with people telling me I cant fly, but use your sence a bit.

I fly over that field in the youtube video above, which is a collection of about 5-6 football fields, and 3-4 rugby fields in one area split over a few sections. and on the edge of the football fields is even more rougher fields which I fly in, and I fly on the football fields part when no one is playing.

I also fly over sections of the river severn coastal line. I have a few more coastal locations I want to film.

Also local 2 mins from my house is a field I found which is ajoined by another 2 fields, which is attached to someone elses field, but its really public crossing, you see people crossing the field from time to time, even seen a guy metal detecting in there

Soldato
Yes, but they're pirate copies. Buy it from the shop, it's worth the money.

I know, I bought it a few years ago, but got rid of it when I gave up the short stint at the hobby.

To be honest I dont have another £80 to cough up at this already expensive hobby.

Ill just practice in the field

Also dont agree with the way that the company that made Phoenix do not help you out if you misplace your USB cable, luckily after several days of searching I found my old cable, however at the time they wouldnt help out, and advised to buy another full price copy, thought that was terrible customer service after I had paid full whack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom