Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I just bought one of these to replace my n36l to help with 1080p transcoding in plex.

One question, I have 8gb of ram in the n36l - could I use that in the gen8 just to get things started?

The ram in the n36l is kingston non ecc ram, and I know the gen 8 can work with non ecc ram but should be ecc of course.

The code on the ram is: kvr1333d3n9k3/12g. I guess there is no harm in trying it? I'm not in a rush to get the gen8 going, just trying to keep costs low.

Cheers.

Soldato
When last shopping for HDDs I found this fantastic blog about hard drive failure rates. It is from an online cloud backup provider who has around 40,000 drives. They publish detailed stats on the reliability of drives with high confidence due to the large sample size. They have just recently updated their figures for this year.

In summary HGST (Hitachi) are the most reliable, whilst Seagate are the most prone to failure. Toshiba drives are actually made in Hitachi factories and so offer great value.

Backblaze - Hard Drive Reliability

Soldato
When last shopping for HDDs I found this fantastic blog about hard drive failure rates. It is from an online cloud backup provider who has around 40,000 drives. They publish detailed stats on the reliability of drives with high confidence due to the large sample size. They have just recently updated their figures for this year.

In summary HGST (Hitachi) are the most reliable, whilst Seagate are the most prone to failure. Toshiba drives are actually made in Hitachi factories and so offer great value.

Backblaze - Hard Drive Reliability

Excellent! Thanks :)

Soldato
Thats quite an interesting read, shame the WD40EFRX has such a poor showing which could be explained with the small sample size. I've just bought 12 for my R510 based media server and I had 1 partially DOA, now replaced under warranty, which then gives the same 9% failure rate as shown in the article.

Soldato
They didn't used to publish the figures for the small sample size drives due to the low confidence level. However I guess they got sick of people asking why certain drives weren't included.

Permabanned
This is going to sound a bit stupid, and I realise this, but bear with me.

Can anyone/has anyone checked to see what kind of games this thing can run? I'm thinking of getting one, mainly as a seedbox, but would be a huge bonus if if would play old classics like Red Alert 2 and Co. as well if it was running windows 8 without the need for a CPU upgrade...!

I think I am going to get one regardless, but this would be the icing on the cake.

The only extra thing I need here is a HDD right? And does the cash back work without any hassle?

Cheers chaps!

Soldato
Re cashback
No hassle,got my cashback last week or the week before straight into my bank account
I chose to print and send the form in via the postie though.Made them sign for the letter and got it registered :)
And yes you need a hdd at least :p
Maybe more ram depends on your needs,read through at least part of this thread to get an idea of what you might use it for
Damn even more cashback now,should have waited a bit longer :o:D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Don`t you mean £109 ?
Can`t see it for £99 anywhere myself :)

yeah, I can't find the thing for £99 (after the cashback!).

I don't know anywhere selling it as expensive as £189??? Where the heck are you looking? Even google gives results cheaper than that :p

There is one place that's best to buy it from with free delivery... and it's definitely £179.99... the same price it's been for the last 3-4 months or more.

After £80 cashback, that's £99.99 delivered.

Yellow logo, however they are one of the largest competitors for a lot of products that OcUK sell, so can't link really... even if OcUK don't sell this item.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Have ordered mine. Want to install Windows server on an SSD in the OD bay; am I right in thinking I need a standard sata cable and a floppy to sata power adaptor?

Back
Top Bottom