Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
You need one of two cables:

- Molex 4-pin splitter with SATA power adapter (what I used as I had a spare)
- Floppy 4-pin to SATA adapter

You will also need an extra SATA data cable.

That's it really...

Have ordered mine. Want to install Windows server on an SSD in the OD bay; am I right in thinking I need a standard sata cable and a floppy to sata power adaptor?

Soldato
gahhh dunno if I should upgrade my N40L to the Gen 8. I need the better processor for Plex transcoding.

Something was said about how you have to use RAID to get the fan speeds down. I ran WHS2011 on a 120GB Kingston SSD. Would I have to buy another SSD and RAID the 2 drives with the OS just to get the fan speed down?

I don't really use RAID and just have each drive for a different purpose. TV shows on one, Movies, Music etc.

Should I change the way I use my drives?

Soldato
gahhh dunno if I should upgrade my N40L to the Gen 8. I need the better processor for Plex transcoding.

Something was said about how you have to use RAID to get the fan speeds down. I ran WHS2011 on a 120GB Kingston SSD. Would I have to buy another SSD and RAID the 2 drives with the OS just to get the fan speed down?

I don't really use RAID and just have each drive for a different purpose. TV shows on one, Movies, Music etc.

Should I change the way I use my drives?

The fan noise when the controller is not in RAID mode has been mostly fixed in the new bios.

Some considerations for you, the Gen 8 cannot boot from the 5th SATA port if the controller is in AHCI mode but you would need AHCI mode for Windows to use TRIM but if your drive has inbuilt garbage collection (i see that they do) or software to manually perform that function that is not really an issue.
If you use RAID mode you can create a single drive RAID 0 array for each of your drives so they are essentially the same as you have now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha to catch 22 on the boot drive. Think this is a really old Kingston so not sure if it supports TRIM. Might give it a test and if it's pretty slow I might buy a new one.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
You can make the 5th sata bootable in AHCI if you do a bit of fiddling with a microSD card, but the fan controller will go a bit nuts I gather. I will be doing the multiple single raid 0 arrays when mine arrives!

Associate
i was looking at a NAS but saw this thread
i am looking at one of these mainly for downloads, itunes server, storage and also to stream to TV, because my mac mini g4 is on its last legs and only as 120gb storage

what would be the cheapest config to do the above?
probably will not need no more that 2TB, 4TB at a push?
could install a small ssd for speed just for the OS?
and what OS/software would you recommend?

Last edited:
Soldato
I just ordered a bundle deal with 2x WD 4TB. Only saved me about £25 + £16 quidco.

Just need to get a hold of a Server 2012 license and I can pull out stuff from the N40L.

Associate
Can someone pm a link to were you're finding these prices and information regarding cashback.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Ultra Micro Tower Server
Intel Pentium G2020T Dual-core (2 Core) 2.50 GHz
4 GB
2 TB (2 x 1 TB) HDD
£350 ex vat. no mention of cashback offers.

Looking to run hyper v server 2012 on the unit as a home lab. So i'll need more memory for it.

Soldato
Stop tempting me to order a 3rd HP! You hear me! :(
Well they do stack quite nicely (not my pic):

2077yua.jpg

Associate
So I've had my gen8 a week now, I'm struggling to get it to always boot from internal USB or SD for xpenology, ive gone through the bios settings but it doesnt seem to save after pressing f10. Help!

Soldato
Can someone pm a link to were you're finding these prices and information regarding cashback.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Ultra Micro Tower Server
Intel Pentium G2020T Dual-core (2 Core) 2.50 GHz
4 GB
2 TB (2 x 1 TB) HDD
£350 ex vat. no mention of cashback offers.

Looking to run hyper v server 2012 on the unit as a home lab. So i'll need more memory for it.

just search on hotukdeals

Back
Top Bottom