Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I'm not reading todays posts...

But in my email I received a notification of a post made, and read some of the text (about a character) subconsciously. If it's spoiled the last episode, WHICH HAS NOT BEEN AIRED YET IN THE UK, I will not be impressed.

Anyway, I'll read the post(s) in question after I've watched the episode tonight.

If I've misread/misunderstood I apologise. But if someone has posted a spoiler - PLEASE GUYS!

It has already aired in the UK.

Cracking episode, 10/10.

Soldato
Too many cliffhangers for me. I enjoyed the episode, but I'd have preferred to see some more storylines resolved.

Stannis is dead and Cersei is free, but aside from that it was cliffhanger after cliffhanger. Surely letting us see Sansa escape wouldn't have hurt anyone?
Post episode interview spoiler:
According to Kit Harrington, he's not in Season 6. Presumably this means that yes, Jon Snow is dead. Or maybe it means Season 6 is skipping events at The Wall in the same way Season 5 skipped over Bran's storyline? There is some speculation that Season 6 will largely focus on catching up with other plot threads, i.e. the Iron Islands, events in the Riverlands and maybe even one or two new characters. I'd like to see that to be honest - too many characters have fallen by the wayside for seasons 4 and 5. The world is starting to shrink in on itself because of the focus on half a dozen main characters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Too many cliffhangers for me. I enjoyed the episode, but I'd have preferred to see some more storylines resolved.

Stannis is dead and Cersei is free, but aside from that it was cliffhanger after cliffhanger. Surely letting us see Sansa escape wouldn't have hurt anyone?

I agree but find that spending nearly a whole ten episodes on building up Stannis and his battle of Winterfell for it to last a few moments was very underwhelming.

Soldato
I agree but find that spending nearly a whole ten episodes on building up Stannis and his battle of Winterfell for it to last a few moments was very underwhelming.

Yeah but you can understand why it was that way though

Because of what he did his army didn't want to work with him anymore, wife hanged herself and he was basically a sitting duck after that

Soldato

Post episode interview spoiler:
According to Kit Harrington, he's not in Season 6. Presumably this means that yes, Jon Snow is dead. Or maybe it means Season 6 is skipping events at The Wall in the same way Season 5 skipped over Bran's storyline? There is some speculation that Season 6 will largely focus on catching up with other plot threads, i.e. the Iron Islands, events in the Riverlands and maybe even one or two new characters. I'd like to see that to be honest - too many characters have fallen by the wayside for seasons 4 and 5. The world is starting to shrink in on itself because of the focus on half a dozen main characters.

Who says Stannis is dead? Since when do they cut away from a death on Game of Thrones? Think about it for a second. Stannis' last words to Brienne were "Do your duty", her duty is to protect Sansa and Arya, not to avenge Renly. It seems very very unlikely she would have killed Stannis, more likely struck the tree behind him in rage.

Also regarding Kit, he's been told he's not in season 6, it doesn't mean he won't be, or that even if he's not it won't be on hiatus like Bran and Hodor for a season. You have to be aware that D&D are treading on extremely thin ice now, because anything regarding Jon Snow was left as a MASSIVE cliffhanger from the last book, GRRM would do his nut if they spoilt what happened to Jon Snow before The Winds of Winter is released, which he is trying to do before Season 6 of Game of Thrones. So they will likely do and say all in their power to make sure nothing leaks about Jon Snow's fate.

There must be a reason why the Red Witch conveniently went back to the wall.

Soldato
Who says Stannis is dead? Since when do they cut away from a death on Game of Thrones? Think about it for a second. Stannis' last words to Brienne were "Do your duty", her duty is to protect Sansa and Arya, not to avenge Renly. It seems very very unlikely she would have killed Stannis, more likely struck the tree behind him in rage.

Also regarding Kit, he's been told he's not in season 6, it doesn't mean he won't be, or that even if he's not it won't be on hiatus like Bran and Hodor for a season. You have to be aware that D&D are treading on extremely thin ice now, because anything regarding Jon Snow was left as a MASSIVE cliffhanger from the last book, GRRM would do his nut if they spoilt what happened to Jon Snow before The Winds of Winter is released, which he is trying to do before Season 6 of Game of Thrones. So they will likely do and say all in their power to make sure nothing leaks about Jon Snow's fate.

"Since when do they cut away from a death on Game of Thrones?"...

The Hound.

Associate
Just WOW! I have not even read all the books yet, but the last episode hit me hard. Left with so many Q's.....A whole year to get through the rest of the books I suppose.

Soldato

The battle was underwhelming, sure, but I think the journey Stannis went on was important. Stannis was permanently torn between the rational mind of a commander and his faith in the Lord of Light. The way I see it, his downfall was ultimately sealed by his inability to find a balance between the two. He allowed himself to do stupid, irrational things in the name of destiny, lost most of his army, lost his family, and then ultimately abandoned his faith when his rational mind told him victory was impossible.

Soldato

Stannis is hamstrung, propped up against a tree right outside Winterfell, with Bolton men everywhere. The only way he's surviving is if Brienne not only decides not to kill him, but decides to carry him away as well. It could happen, but I'm not sure it's likely and I don't really know where his story can go from here. He has lost everything.

Soldato
Even if Kit knew he was in Season 6 he's not exactly going to come out and say it right after his character has been put to the sword. He's exactly where he is in the books now, so until TWOW comes out or we can fast forward a year either

a) he's dead which would be rather senseless from a story-telling point of view given next to Tyrion he gets the most chapters in the books (a bit like having Dany eaten by her dragon randomly after 5 seasons of being built up) and the main problem with Jon dying permanently in the books is that there's no one of any consequence to serve as the PoV for the Wall. Maybe GRRM is trolling and the White Walkers will just win and kill everyone.

b) Mel will do a Thoros/Beric on him since she's in the right place at just the right time and like Thoros's first successful resurrection it comes at a time when her faith wavers. Also dying absolves Jon of his oath which he pledged to serve til death.

Soldato
Even if Kit knew he was in Season 6 he's not exactly going to come out and say it right after his character has been put to the sword. He's exactly where he is in the books now, so until TWOW comes out or we can fast forward a year either

a) he's dead which would be rather senseless from a story-telling point of view given next to Tyrion he gets the most chapters in the books (a bit like having Dany eaten by her dragon randomly after 5 seasons of being built up) and the main problem with Jon dying permanently in the books is that there's no one of any consequence to serve as the PoV for the Wall. Maybe GRRM is trolling and the White Walkers will just win and kill everyone.

b) Mel will do a Thoros/Beric on him since she's in the right place at just the right time and like Thoros's first successful resurrection it comes at a time when her faith wavers. Also dying absolves Jon of his oath which he pledged to serve til death.

I'll go with B, otherwise his whole back story was just a waste of time.

Soldato
Also, in ADWD. in the only Mel POV chaper in the whole series there's:

that bit of her getting frustrated not seeing Stannis progress in her visions since she believes it's he who is the reborn Azor Ahai but...

"I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow."

Caporegime
I'll go with B, otherwise his whole back story was just a waste of time.

B all day long - B on a stick with B sauce and B sprinkles.

I also liked

Necro Mountain... I actually found that the most surprising of everything in that episode

So many Necromancic type things going on... Next season. THe undead vs the recently undead. No clue how this will go down.

Soldato
Stannis is hamstrung, propped up against a tree right outside Winterfell, with Bolton men everywhere. The only way he's surviving is if Brienne not only decides not to kill him, but decides to carry him away as well. It could happen, but I'm not sure it's likely and I don't really know where his story can go from here. He has lost everything.

Could happen, I don't believe Stannis is dead though. This is the hardest part now, no way they can film season 6 without giving away who's alive and who's dead.

Soldato
Hoooly ****. The last three episodes have turned a decent season into one of the best. All three would comfortably be in my top 10 episodes. So many cliffhangers though that the next 40 odd weeks are going to be horrible :(.

Soldato
Could happen, I don't believe Stannis is dead though. This is the hardest part now, no way they can film season 6 without giving away who's alive and who's dead.

The only likely explanation for Stannis surviving would be Brienne saving him, and there's little chance she's going to do that out of the goodness of her heart. Maybe she decides her commitment to save Sansa is more important than her commitment to avenge Renly? Would she think to ransom Stannis to the Boltons in exchange for Sansa?

Possible. And I guess it would explain the off-camera 'death'.

Soldato
The only likely explanation for Stannis surviving would be Brienne saving him, and there's little chance she's going to do that out of the goodness of her heart. Maybe she decides her commitment to save Sansa is more important than her commitment to avenge Renly? Would she think to ransom Stannis to the Boltons in exchange for Sansa?

Possible. And I guess it would explain the off-camera 'death'.

Quite possibly true, another reason why she possibly won't have killed him.

I think Stannis is still important to the story, even though he's seemingly lost everything. They've made such a big point of Dragon Glass and Valyarian Steel being needed to stop The Others, since Stannis rules Dragon Stone, he sits on a massive deposit of Dragon Glass, probably needed in the battle. I have a vision of Dany's 3 dragons, each with a rider, plus a huge army of Dragon Glass wielding men. The men need a commander, which is where Stannis could easily come in.

Just speculation, but I don't think he's done yet.

Back
Top Bottom