• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How many have now bought 980Ti because of Fury X release

Associate
Doesn't this remind people of the 290x and the 780ti?

290x was released then the 780ti came along and it was 10%-15% faster in pretty much everything. nVidia marketed it as the 290x killer.

Year and a bit later and now the 290x is beating the 780ti in modern console ports and certain games, much to the anger of people who spent a small fortune on Kepler. Kepler was marketed as a future thinking architecture for future games, just read the nVidia marketing speak. Not sure if this is neglect by nVidia or AMD realized the full potential of the 290x, but there has been a big turn around especially in Witcher 3.

The Fury may come good in DX12 games and future console ports without gameworks enabled. Console optimization must be relevant to GCN architecture and low level DX12. Only issue I guess is the architecture isn't that much different to the 290x so AMD should have a good take on drivers already.

I think the Fury had to look good value like the 290x did against the 780ti so is a little overpriced compared to the 980ti - that water cooler, huge die and HBM is coming at a cost.

Intersting to see if the 980ti drops off in performance compared to the Fury X once Pascal is released. 14nm and HBM2 is where the real upgrade seems to be.

Last edited:
Associate
Purposely pre ordered the MSI Gaming 980Ti with a long ETA to see how Fury X comes out in the reviews. Pretty disappointing from AMD to say the least. Glad I ordered the Gaming when it was £576, that's £54 less than the G1 and has about 12MHz less on the boost clock. I really hope AMD come back strong with Arctic Islands next year because we really need competition to push boundaries.

Caporegime
Purposely pre ordered the MSI Gaming 980Ti with a long ETA to see how Fury X comes out in the reviews. Pretty disappointing from AMD to say the least. Glad I ordered the Gaming when it was £576, that's £54 less than the G1 and has about 12MHz less on the boost clock. I really hope AMD come back strong with Arctic Islands next year because we really need competition to push boundaries.

The MSI cards land at OcUK tomorrow :cool:

Associate
Yer, AMD messed up if there was stock of £509 amds I would taken the 5% lower fps hit at 1440p and hoped for better drivers later as AIO looks good. Instead I have same price ti ref arriving tomorrow. I really wanted AMD win this round. I'm a bit of AMD fanboy :( sad times. If gibbos right 300+ ti sold, AMD needs fire the marketing & sales and hire more engineers.

Associate
I considered changing but after finding out my 9 month old card still beats the brand new super awesome fury x i will just be staying put and waiting for pascal honestly the fury x has had one of the worst launches in recent memory and has caused green and red people to go "what the hell are they doing?" of course there are the few people who are saying that dx12 and fully matured drivers will change everything but lets be fair the games most reviews were based on were between 2-12 months old so there really is no excuse.

Soldato
The 980 ti is tempting in the way that nvidia is on top by that few percent recently etc and my last nvidia card was a 7800gtx

But there's no way in hell I'd pay nvidia prices when I can't stand the way nvidia renders image on screen amd to my eye is a lot clearer etc just personal preference.

Once the dust has settled and prices start dropping give me that fury x :)
For me it's perfect it's near 295x2 performance from a single gpu, it's cool it's QUIET! And if looks great. It's double the performance of my set up. So it's perfect for me.

It's just a tad pricey, will wait till gpus drop to about 375 pound

Associate
Doesn't this remind people of the 290x and the 780ti?

290x was released then the 780ti came along and it was 10%-15% faster in pretty much everything. nVidia marketed it as the 290x killer.

Year and a bit later and now the 290x is beating the 780ti in modern console ports and certain games, much to the anger of people who spent a small fortune on Kepler. Kepler was marketed as a future thinking architecture for future games, just read the nVidia marketing speak. Not sure if this is neglect by nVidia or AMD realized the full potential of the 290x, but there has been a big turn around especially in Witcher 3.

The Fury may come good in DX12 games and future console ports without gameworks enabled. Console optimization must be relevant to GCN architecture and low level DX12. Only issue I guess is the architecture isn't that much different to the 290x so AMD should have a good take on drivers already.

I think the Fury had to look good value like the 290x did against the 780ti so is a little overpriced compared to the 980ti - that water cooler, huge die and HBM is coming at a cost.

Intersting to see if the 980ti drops off in performance compared to the Fury X once Pascal is released. 14nm and HBM2 is where the real upgrade seems to be.

It only lasted that long because they didn't release anything new for almost two years. Now we know both nvidia and amd are planning on launching 14/16nm parts as soon as they possibly can, so the whole playing field is a bit different.

Associate
I Pulled out of getting one today, and i have been waiting like everyone else hoping that AMD would deliver. Money is sitting waiting for more information and user reviews from here. I would gain from my favourites battlefield 4 and project cars from nvida significantly it seems, but my main passion and rig is for iracing which AMD shines through due to nvidia crashes, but as far as i know thats a huge problem with 6 and 7 series cards. 9 series is new architecture I think? Im considering the gamble on a 980ti that its more compatible now hoping the nvidia DLL file false traces issue might have gone away.

Been on i racing as a Noooob for 4 months . No crashes on my 980s or TIs . It's just a shame I am that guy who can't drive

Associate
OP
It only lasted that long because they didn't release anything new for almost two years. Now we know both nvidia and amd are planning on launching 14/16nm parts as soon as they possibly can, so the whole playing field is a bit different.

There was so much hype for the fury by potential customers BUT not by AMD, AMD's marketing is just a joke?
We all want competition WE NEED this to help bring pricing to a sensible level and i was willing AMD to make this card a monster but sadly not.

I get the feeling that the way Nvidia are so switched on if they was first to market with HBM there engineering of the card would have produced a far better card "way better" i feel AMD are treading water and just waiting for someone to buy them out.

Associate
Kitguru are reporting nvidia are considering some price cuts on high end cards, whether that includes 980ti I'm not sure. The other side of the coin suggests fury will be low numbers on the shelf initially which will force price movement I'd imagine.

I'm hanging on till dust settles....

Soldato
I have, ordered a MSI 980ti gaming yesterday after being disappointed when the Fury benchmarks hit. Was expecting better after all the hype and I really couldn't be bothered waiting for a MSI Gaming Fury to see how it stacked up, I had waited enough.

Kitguru are reporting nvidia are considering some price cuts on high end cards, whether that includes 980ti I'm not sure.

I hope that's not true, and not because I just dropped £600 on a 980ti, but because I want to see AMD do well and become competitive again and if Nvidia "close the door" so to speak Fury could end up dead in the water.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't order one on the 24th, but did get one in Gibbos sale at the weekend after hearing preliminary reports about the Fury X trading blows with the 980ti.

I'd held off on a purchase until AMD had a chance to shout about ther product, but the comments from before the 24th, the embargo to launch day (which never sits well with me), and the £500 Zotac on offer all conspired to send me that way.

That means that my card history is now

Nvidia 980ti
ATI 6950
Nvidia 9800GTS
ATI 9800XT

Can't remember from before that. Weird how it works out. 980 has appeared in the model number 3 times in 4 cards spanning 12 years!

Associate
I went with the 980 Ti. Looked through the reviews and it seems Fury performance is not all that great at 1440p. Difference of 10-15% in some games favoring the Ti.

At 4K it's a much closer match but I plan on staying at 1440p for the foreseeable future. Not much interest in going SLI/CF, I prefer single GPU and it just doesn't have the grunt for 4K yet. Maybe next gen...

The overclocks reviewers are getting on Fury are disappointing too. I know most are getting around 20-25% over stock clocks with no voltage added on Maxwell. Only seeing +10% on the Fury at best.

All in all a lackluster showing from AMD this time. I thought the 290X was a much more impressive card at launch.

Associate
Whats special about the g1 that makes it so popular?

Part of it is brand, its a non-refrence board that should give better oc ability, and its know GB bin the chips for they card so you increse (albiet slighty) your chances of winning the silicon lottery lol

Thought I'd add in the link to Gigabytes binning process - they call it "Gigabyte Gauntlet" http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/72/feature.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom