My Home Town

Soldato
I live the most south westerly point away from my home town
I'm at uni at the most northerly English uni

Will never, ever go back to that horrible place.

I do believe a few members are from there actually. Sorry.

Man of Honour
I'm slightly over 400 miles away from where I grew up (Edinburgh), at some point I'd probably like to go back or certainly back to Scotland at least but for the moment I'm quite happy living here. If there's a good opportunity in another country then I'd give that some serious consideration too, it'd be quite nice to see a bit more of the world if I can.

Soldato
Nope and I would never want to either. It will feel like going back on myself and copping out in moving forward in life. I've done all that, why go back to it?

Different strokes and all that, but that's how it feels for me.

Soldato
TBH this doesn't 'feel' like the place I grew up in. The estate I am on used to be just fields, there are thousands of houses due to be built, in what is still called a 'village' whereas really it's a commuter town. Pretty much everyone I grew up with left a long time ago.
It's a nice enough place, but it just doesn't feel like home any more.

Caporegime
TBH this doesn't 'feel' like the place I grew up in. The estate I am on used to be just fields, there are thousands of houses due to be built, in what is still called a 'village' whereas really it's a commuter town. Pretty much everyone I grew up with left a long time ago.
It's a nice enough place, but it just doesn't feel like home any more.

My mum grew up in Bethnal Green in the 60's. That feels like a different world to her now. No way could she live there.

Associate
I just moved back to my hometown after 15 years of living in a city about 60 miles away. I never thought I'd move back but after having kids, family becomes a lot more important. Plus the job I was in was destroying my soul and a new opportunity arose at home.

To be honest it hasn't been anywhere as bad as I thought it would be. But I am comparing it to the recollections of a teenager!

Soldato
Moved out of the sleepy North Herts market town I grew up in 15 years ago and have no intention of ever moving back. Visit 4-5 times a year to see family.

They still think I'm the odd one for moving away and seeing the world...

Soldato
I was born and grew up in Doncaster, moved to Leeds 12 years ago and I'm still here.

Nope, Doncaster doesn't have much to offer! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going home to see family and the few friends that have stayed but that's it.

Leeds is just right IMO - Good restaurants, many bars and clubs opening up all the time, jobs, shopping centers all in a pretty confined space. Not many big cities can you go on a night out and cross the city in 15 minutes. ~10 different areas in town to go on a night out, many festival events - Leeds fest, Unity day, Kirkstall festival, Slam Dunk etc.

Some great gig venues such as Millennium square, o2 academy, Leeds uni and now First direct arena which I have not even been to yet.

Sports wise the centre doesn't offer that much (other than Gyms) but I can see this changing soon. Just outside of Leeds there are many things like Headingley stadium, climbing walls, Olympic size pools and a couple of good forests

At the moment its booming - Trinity center as brought many new shops, a huge John Lewis is being built near the market / top end of town with many good bars shooting up around there (Brotherhood, Manahatta, Rum shack, Belgrave music hall...)

A new entrance to the station is shooting up which I can only imagine bringing masses of spending around that area (Pour house, Candle bar, fazenda, hop, sky bar...) Leeds liverpool canal will become even more popular because of this (many barges/river boats already but can see there being more very soon)

Central square is flying up a few minutes from where I live and work - more offices, shops and I have heard another Virgin Active. Cranes are literally everywhere at the moment

People in Leeds who complain its getting old and stale probably have not actually been out or explored new places for a few years.

In short, Leeds is fantastic at the moment. I should be at Kendalls Bistro for my dads birthday tonight but unfortunately my mum is ill. Night in before a big session tomorrow at a Muay Thai tournament at the Hilton

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom