My Home Town

Soldato
I grew up in the south west and lived there for first 25 years of my life before moving up to London for work / life etc. Been up here for a decade now but currently looking to buy a house back down where I grew up. Not the same town but within 25 miles of it.... Circle of life I guess but I was lucky to have been bought up in a very nice area.

Soldato
I still live in my home town. It is like thousands of other towns that you might visit and think it is crap and would never want to live there etc, but I always feel different about the place I was born & bred in.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Still live there.

I work 50 miles away though, so spend most of my life outside it.

Permabanned
TBH this doesn't 'feel' like the place I grew up in. The estate I am on used to be just fields, there are thousands of houses due to be built, in what is still called a 'village' whereas really it's a commuter town. Pretty much everyone I grew up with left a long time ago.
It's a nice enough place, but it just doesn't feel like home any more.

I feel exactly the same, I've lived in a few places and now they have all been overdeveloped and all the green fields built on, even where I am now feels different.

It is like there is nowhere left that doesn't feel hemmed in by new housing.
I've even started daydreaming about leaving the UK for somewhere remote in the USA.

Man of Honour
I was born in Portsmouth but grew up in Stoke.

I live 7 miles from Portsmouth now in a small town with a low crime rate and calm atmosphere and nice coastal view. i like it here and can't imagine living anywhere else for the convenience of major transport access and peaceful atmosphere.

A far cry from Stoke for sure :p

Soldato
TBH this doesn't 'feel' like the place I grew up in. The estate I am on used to be just fields, there are thousands of houses due to be built, in what is still called a 'village' whereas really it's a commuter town. Pretty much everyone I grew up with left a long time ago.
It's a nice enough place, but it just doesn't feel like home any more.

I feel exactly the same, I've lived in a few places and now they have all been overdeveloped and all the green fields built on, even where I am now feels different.

It is like there is nowhere left that doesn't feel hemmed in by new housing.
I've even started daydreaming about leaving the UK for somewhere remote in the USA.

This is what is starting to happen to my town, building huge new estates on what was once farmers fields on all sides and marketing them as a great place for commuters.

The people who buy them aren't interested in the town which their postcode is related to.

Man of Honour
This is what is starting to happen to my town, building huge new estates on what was once farmers fields on all sides and marketing them as a great place for commuters.

The people who buy them aren't interested in the town which their postcode is related to.

They stuck up a load of new builds in what used to be fields around where I live, many of which have been sold to people who rent them out which along with other developments has lead to house prices rising massively around here due to the "investment" potential i.e. my neighbours bought their house at 155K not that long ago and its currently on the market at half a million with offers in the mid 400K but they are holding out for more.

alx

alx

Soldato
No, I grew up near a village in Berkshire and now live 500+ miles away in Aberdeen. My choosing though due to career choice. Do I miss my 'home', sure sometimes but everywhere has its pros and cons. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Associate
I'm a good 200 miles from where I grew up and where I was born.
It's a lovely part of Kent, but I doubt I'll be able to get a decent Job to afford a house down there these days.

Soldato
i've gone from chavs and gangs of preteen thugs hanging around where i live, to bears, moose, wild turkeys and deer. With the odd bob cat thrown in for good measure. Would i move back to Burnley, Hell NO!!

Soldato
My parents moved from where I was born when I was ~3 so I have no real memory of that. They moved from the town I grew up about 8-10 years ago so I haven't been back since then and have no real desire too.

Soldato
They stuck up a load of new builds in what used to be fields around where I live, many of which have been sold to people who rent them out which along with other developments has lead to house prices rising massively around here due to the "investment" potential i.e. my neighbours bought their house at 155K not that long ago and its currently on the market at half a million with offers in the mid 400K but they are holding out for more.

Yep most of them here have been sold to investors and rented out to city slickers who 'live their life' in the city and only come home to sleep sort of thing. They don't shop, eat drink or use any of the facilities the town has to offer. Thats only the born n bred people.

Man of Honour
No. I wouldn't discount living there again as it would be convenient for family and friends, however IMO property is overpriced given how mediocre the local jobs market is and distance from London.

Back
Top Bottom