The CCNA/Cisco Certifications Thread

Associate
Would anyone be able to answer this question for me. It might seem like a really basic question but just need some clarifying.

I understand that all hosts that are connected to the same switch are sharing the same broadcast domain unless VLANs are being used. My question is: If you have a 16 port switch and 8 of the hosts are in one subnet and 8 are in a different subnet, would I be correct in saying that different subnets do not matter and both subnets will receive all broadcasts sent on the network?

Soldato
You wouldnt really want to do that, I dont think it would be possible anyway, as the traffic would need to route to a default gateway, if the host is in one subnet, and the default gateway is another subnet, how will they communicate?

Best practise method would be to have them in seperate VLANS.

Soldato
Congrats :) did you find the design route beneficial at all? I had a look at some videos for the CCDP and it was stupidly basic. Though I was hunting for ideas while designing a network including DMVPN with over 1000 spoke sites so the Associate level exam wouldn't be much use :p

Soldato
It's a bit of an odd one. Most people say the CCDA is harder and I'd agree, but not necessarily for the right reasons. I think my general opinion is that the exam itself is, putting it harshly, junk. The course however is very good. It's basically part of my day job anyway and a lot of it was essentially second nature, however there's also some material that really makes you think and provides useful training and information on improving your design skills and understanding the what and why. Hopefully when they convert it from a 642 to a 300 exam it gets improved.

So yes, worth doing, but the exam isn't that good in itself - more of a means to an end. I wouldn't recommend anybody rushing to it over your CCNP and a few other base certs. I just picked it as it was one exam to complete the CCDP track and recertify everything (had 30 days before everything expired, no pressure! been busy with other vendors :()

Studying some Juniper ones, Citrix and then on to my CCIE

- GP

Soldato
Half way through the CBT Nuggets videos for my CCNP R&S, I am doing the routing exam first, get it out the way.

I prefer having a few more video files but they are a little shorter, gives you time to go through each video and soak it in properly withou having a 50 minute video full to the brim of info. Been doing the labs as I go along in GNS3 too.

Associate
I'm not sure what to do next. I just passed the CCNA Security and want to do something else.

We have just installed a Wireless Network at Work, so it makes sense to go for the CCNA Wireless but part of me wants to start my NP. I'm a little lost right now,

Soldato
IMO start your CCNP or the CCDA. Both are more valuable than the CCNA-W (And I hold that one too). If you work with other vendors and fancy some diversity, consider one of their base certs (CCSA, JNCIA etc.) - you can for example convert your CCNA to a HP-AIS with a single online exam.

- GP

Soldato
As above, do your CCNP

I wasnt going to start my CCNP until after summer, but already a good way through some CCNP (ROUTE) revision, if I can get the ROUTE exam out the way beginning/mid summer, I will do SWITCH and then TSHOOT after the summer finishes.

Caporegime
Looks like soon enough work are offering to put me through either a CCNA networking course or a CCNA security one.

Not sure which to go for, the training company who are offering it have stated there's a massive and increasing shortage of security qualified workers.

Soldato
Soldato
Yep those are the ones.

I didn't have any (real) networking knowledge before my CCENT either. But the book certainly helps. I'd also recommend sourcing CBTNuggets videos as well. They were very good.

Soldato
Can some one tell me why Cisco have offered two routes to the CCNA? Is one of the two possibility better than the other?

Required Exam(s) Recommended Training

200-120 CCNA Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices: Accelerated (CCNAX)
OR
100-101 ICND1 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1)
200-101 ICND2 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2)

Last edited:
Soldato
Both have the same content, however the 200-120 combines the ICND1 and ICND2 exams into one.

You can take the ICND1 and get a CCENT certification. And then take to the ICND2 to get the CCNA. Good if you are also working as you can spread it out over time.

Soldato
Both have the same content, however the 200-120 combines the ICND1 and ICND2 exams into one.

You can take the ICND1 and get a CCENT certification. And then take to the ICND2 to get the CCNA. Good if you are also working as you can spread it out over time.

Is it easier to pass if you do them in two chunks?

If I wanted to get this done in the quickest time, I guess the combined is the best approach?

Last edited:
Soldato
Its probably easier in that you don't need to study as much for each exam, but the overall content coverage is the same.

If you want to get it done the quickest, then the single 200-120 exam would be "fastest" because its only one exam. Still requires reading all of 100-101 and 200-101 books though.

Back
Top Bottom