The CCNA/Cisco Certifications Thread

Soldato
Its probably easier in that you don't need to study as much for each exam, but the overall content coverage is the same.

If you want to get it done the quickest, then the single 200-120 exam would be "fastest" because its only one exam. Still requires reading all of 100-101 and 200-101 books though.

Someone in another thread kindly suggested CBTnuggets as a source for video tuition.

I checked onthere and cant see the 200-120 CCNA video listed but can see both 100-101 ICND1 and 200-101 ICND2 videos.

As you say above the content is the same so theoretically, if I watched both those videos I would be ready for the combined 200-120 CCNA exam?

Videos vs Books? Is it just as easy to do the practical side of things with the books as compared to the videos? I'm thinking the videos might be helpful actually as you will actually see someone typing in the commands?

Soldato
I'd use both the books and videos. The books go into a lot of detail compared to the videos. The videos are great though, made my understanding of things much clearer. But yes you can just watch both 100-101 and 200-101 series and be up to speed for the 200-120 exam (video wise).

Soldato
Argh, Failed CCNP Route exam resit 300-101 (exam 1 of 3)

Smashed all the labs, all working, a lot of questions were right, got 100% on some sections, but got a few questions wrong so it seems, 780 pass rate 790

God damn it

think I will leave it now until I have to re certify

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone recommend any books to start me off? Looking to take the CCENT and then progressing to the CCNA. I've found this one called "CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide" http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccent-ccna-icnd1-100-101-official-cert-guide-9781587143854

From 2013, would this still cover everything I need to know?

i used that book, i didnt find the book 100% useful but the dvd with the boson exam stuff was worth its weight in gold. also download and follow the cbt nuggets and make notes as you go along and download cisco packet tracer.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I am going through the CCNP switch exam after having passed route,

I am finding switch to be a bit more difficult in terms of soaking it in (although part of that is motivation at the moment) but also labbing, there doesnt seem to be a lot I have labbed so far! and I am on video 19 STP configuring RSTP and MST.

I dont really have a physical lab going, although I do have a switch at home, I would need two more presumably from work, but is there any other way to lab some of the switching features you cant do with etherswitches in GNS3?

Soldato
Argh, Failed CCNP Route exam resit 300-101 (exam 1 of 3)

Smashed all the labs, all working, a lot of questions were right, got 100% on some sections, but got a few questions wrong so it seems, 780 pass rate 790

God damn it

think I will leave it now until I have to re certify

:(

So close! Maybe do it again seeing as it's still fresh in your mind? (Give it a month or two)

Soldato
That's an old post :) I passed route in Oct 2015 I think

I'm studying switch, see above ;) although it's a slow slog at the moment. Commuted a bunch of time just before xmas to get some videos out the way and one or two labs, but got serious revision block Jan/Feb this year

I have managed to find some old 2950 switches in work, will these be enough to get me through CCNP switch?for the stuff I can't lab in GNS3 ?

Last edited:
Associate
You're probably going to need some 3550 at least to do the multilayer switching part but the 2950 should at least help you with the basics.

Soldato
That's an old post :) I passed route in Oct 2015 I think

I'm studying switch, see above ;) although it's a slow slog at the moment. Commuted a bunch of time just before xmas to get some videos out the way and one or two labs, but got serious revision block Jan/Feb this year

I have managed to find some old 2950 switches in work, will these be enough to get me through CCNP switch?for the stuff I can't lab in GNS3 ?

Arista make a virtual switch you can spin up on VMware, that walks and talks *pretty much* like an IOS/NX-OS switch,

https://eos.arista.com/veos-running-eos-in-a-vm/

You can also get the Cisco IOS layer-2 images, which is like a virtual 2950, however you might want to do some research on the images, as some of them are terrible - whereas others are pretty good :)

Soldato
You're probably going to need some 3550 at least to do the multilayer switching part but the 2950 should at least help you with the basics.

I have now got a 3550 and 3560 under my desk i can use, and a 2950 and want to add one more so i can test introducing loops in to the network

Soldato
Think I need to pick up a CCNA (R&S). I'll be moving to USA in a year or two and they seem to hold certifications in higher regard than around here.

People recommend CBT Nuggets - are you all cramming in the free week or do you get a year's subscription?

Soldato
has any one done CCNA security recently? any tips / advise / what resources are needed to pass?

I'm sitting the 210-260 next week. I've mainly been using a pair of 2691s with advanced security images for the majority of stuff. Packet Tracer is useless (I couldn't get the VPN to come up) and GNS3 just seems so resource hungry. Big noisy boxes are the way to go IMO.

I've got the official certification guide and also have course material on the Cisco Learning Network from a course I attended in February.

Looking forward to it, feeling pretty confident. Just going to spend the next week going over things again.

Going to start my CCNP R&S once this is out of the way. I have until September to recertify so fingers crossed.

Soldato
Best place to sell old lab kit? Been sat unused, boxed up since I passed my IE years ago.

Loads of 2600s, 3825s, and a bunch of layer 2 & 3 switches. Serial cables, octal console cables, the lot. Boxes and boxes of it.

Back
Top Bottom