Paying for your own meal at a wedding?

Soldato
Chinese weddings you are expected to pay for your meal, but that is tradition.

I think more back story is needed here - how many people going?

It does seem rather odd though. I think in general, people would rather go for a cheaper option (buffet style food) rather than ask guests to pay.

If I was you I would do as you say - pay for the meal and just a card.

BB x

Err, no you're not! I say this having been to two...

Man of Honour
What are you talking about? You can't take 2x 27k and declare that a 60k joint income is average.

It doesn't cost twice as much to feed and house 2x people in the same location as it does 1 person. Therefore a couple living together earning 60k is better off than 2x people living separate earning 30k each.

Earning 60k joint before tax puts you ahead of something like 90% of to population, i'd say that was 'Large'.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wheredoyoufitin/

Feeding one or two people has nothing to do with it. Average salary times two people.and don't believe that site for a second. It takes to much into consideration.

Caporegime
A couple earning 60k has significantly more disposable income than what would be left from 2x people earning 30k living individually, therefore they are considerably better off.

You can't use the data for a single person then apply it to a couple.

I don't see how that is relevant to the point

That is one of a very long list of factors that affect the income and that doesn't even look at the disposable income which again is much more complicated.

and also not relevant to the claim being made

just to reiterate:

"average salary is just under 27k as per the previous poster claimed so as far as young couples, in work, getting married are concerned 60k joint income is a bit above average"

disposable income or whether people live in the same house has got nothing to do with that statement

Caporegime
According to a paper by the GOV from 2014:

A single person earning 21k after tax is in the sixth decile, a couple earning 46k a year after tax is in the eight decile.

To remain in the 6th decile a couple would only have to earn 32k per year after tax, which as a couple would make them 'Average'.

Man of Honour
Yes including non workers, part time and everything else. Qty on earth would you include those stats. Most people aren't jobless or part time. The average person is full time.
The median values for full time jobs is perfectly acceptable value to range, and with that, they are pretty much average.

Must be a lot of poor people hidden away on benefits to being the figures down.

Caporegime
According to a paper by the GOV from 2014:

A single person earning 21k after tax is in the sixth decile, a couple earning 46k a year after tax is in the eight decile.

To remain in the 6th decile a couple would only have to earn 32k per year after tax, which as a couple would make them 'Average'.

and that is just as flawed as your IFS link

Back
Top Bottom