Paying for your own meal at a wedding?

Associate
I wonder if, perhaps, they've had some sort of very sudden financial hardship that's forced them into asking for money ahead of the event.

It seems very odd, the way that this has panned out.

Soldato
Interesting. I wonder if you could get away with asking guests to pay the £20 for their meal instead of giving a gift which would probably be around the same value anyway? I know that's what I would prefer if I was getting married. I would assume though that the bribe & groom would then put enough behind the bar to pay for, say, two drinks per guest.

They could say something like "We humbly appreciate the requests we have received for gift ideas. If would you like to make a gift we would be more than happy to accept payment towards the day, but no more than £20 please. If you prefer, we support x charity and you are welcome to donate to them instead."

I wouldn't invite more than close family and friends anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can just source them a letterbox as a gift, and poo through it.

Surely the in thing at weddings now is to have a miniature postbox on the table near the entrance for you to drop wedding cards off in, at least it has been the last few weddings I've been at. Ready made target surely?

Permabanned
Sounds like something chavs would do, but I've never been asked to pay towards the meal. However, I do give presents.

Infact in Asian weddings they normally stipulate on the card, "no boxed gifts ". I guess that's because people usually give tat or stuff you'd find in the market.

Soldato
Why is it supposed to be. Can be anything they want. Upto you decide if you want to pay it or not. Stiff tradition. Who wants to waste 15k on a single day.

My ex gf. She would think that's an incredible bargain for a wedding. Note however with her being from a family of uber free loaders, she would not put a penny towards it so the 'bargain' would've been for me to pay.

But as for the OP. that's taking the **** and I'd simply say I cant afford it. If they didn't want me to come in that case, they're not much of friends anyway.

Soldato
Sod that.

I just wouldn't go. Pull a sicky, so to speak.

Guarantee the turn out will drastically shrink now.

If you can't afford to pay for a wedding, then don't have one. Registry office and spend on a nice honeymoon or something.

Paying £23 for the privilege of being that bored... good grief.

Man of Honour
So self imposed poverty through poor life choices?

I suppose that's like those on the dole?

Yes unless you chose to retire and milk loans in the north you have made poor life choices

As for the OP, I personally think it is odd but a lot of people are odd about money

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually, we went to a wedding where we paid for our meal. (£20 a head for a decent meal and pudding) which was family and very close friends, the couple were getting married for showing commitment to each other. They certainly did not want all the fuss surrounding weddings.
What they did was say well we are not having a reception however we are going for a meal if you would like to join us that would be lovely. So for that they said no gifts paying for your own meal would be appreciated. To them having those close to them was the biggest gift of all.

Soldato
Infact in Asian weddings they normally stipulate on the card, "no boxed gifts ". I guess that's because people usually give tat or stuff you'd find in the market.

So just take the gift out of the box it came in and put it in a gift bag then? :D

We paid the £60 meal price for all 70 of our guests so thats a big no. Even the wife just commented that she wouldnt have the nerve to ask

Wow, that's a bargain! Did the guests receive a packet of crisps and a can of Coca Cola?

to be fair 60 notes for 70 guests is pretty good value. under a quid a person.

Indeed. :D

Soldato
Sounds to me like daddies little princess want her special day to be completely out of their means so instead of cutting her cloth according to their means they're getting everyone else to pay.

#becauseimworthit

Associate
Poo on the wedding cake?

Does seem a little odd, they should have specified that there were costs on the invitation not left it later on.

However that being said, if they've had issues with caterers, or other issues with food they may have been forced to ask now?

Associate
We can sit here and argue about whether it is 'right' or not to charge guests to go to a wedding, yes traditionally the couple getting wed do usually change but times are changing.

What matters really if you want to be there for the day and whether or not you are willing to pay to be there.

Personally I think it works in the sense only the people who really want to be there will be there.

Back
Top Bottom