Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Soldato
So.... I decided to try a "V2" version of this monitor. Oh what a fool I was...

Need I say more?

Back in the box it goes.

4th and final time.

Never experienced this purchasing such a "High end" item before. Simply stunned.

There are no V2" versions of this screen. They don't exist. it has been confirmed already that the places selling the Acer XB270HU dubbed as supposedly V2" versions are actually selling the old march 2015 batches.

Clearly this needed updating...

acer1.jpg

Associate
Acer's previous products are a real shame because they could've quite easily had £1k off of me with the X34. This thread is disconcerting to say the least, but at the same time, people with the problems are the ones you hear.

Associate
Acer's previous products are a real shame because they could've quite easily had £1k off of me with the X34. This thread is disconcerting to say the least, but at the same time, people with the problems are the ones you hear.

It's not so much that the monitors have had problems, I think as consumers we can expect the odd problem.

The issue is how Acer have handled the situation by stringing us along for months offering a new improved version, then just sending out what appears to be defective returns from the original batch.

Associate
I managed to get a good one of these from 'elsewhere'.

The seller was kind enough to pretest it for me in advance of shipping and I must say its a truly superb monitor.

Without this facility though its a total lottery. Prior to this I had to send one back due to dead pixels and excessive back-light bleed. So much for the 'V2' label...

Acer really need to up their game if they plan on selling to the Enthusiast market.

I wouldn't buy Acer again without a pretest facility from the reseller, its just too much of a gamble.

Last edited:
Associate
I got my refund, thought about chancing it again but after two clunkers reckon we'll have to wait for a well-built G-Sync IPS 144Hz screen to be designed.

Gone instead for the Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K@60Hz done right. "Only" a VN panel but finding the colours and blacks to be beautiful so far :)

Caporegime
Yeah, just seen that! Crap warranty would turn into zero warranty :D

As an aside, I gather that even the new 34" Acer's are suffering from excessive bleed/glow etc (already out Stateside) :(

Associate
I hope to pick one of these up, but Acers tech support is abysmal, my Gsync module broke in mine within 6 months (I have the 1080p variant, TN) and it has horrible blur, broken Gsync they refuse to fix and a few other issues including no sharpness option.

Soldato
I would stay away for Acer. It looks like they might not be around in the near future.

http://www.neowin.net/news/acer-fou...e-company-but-youll-be-getting-an-empty-shell

Acer founder: You're welcome to buy the company, but you'll be getting an "empty shell"

Very interesting reading and I did google it so it actually occurred. Kind of contradicts Gibbo saying Acer is their best seller for monitors when their Chairman says profits are way down and the company is just hot air.

Soldato
Just received one of these monitors today and although smaller than my 34" LG UW from my early impressions i have no bleed or glow of any kind, will test this more when its dark later, but at present seems fine :)

Revision date is August 2015.

Associate
Very interesting reading and I did google it so it actually occurred. Kind of contradicts Gibbo saying Acer is their best seller for monitors when their Chairman says profits are way down and the company is just hot air.

They could still be selling monitors like hotcakes and be in poor financial shape. I imagine they haemorrhage money in their notebook and tablet divisions these days.

Soldato
So - I got one of these 2 weeks ago.

Light bleed at bottom left and a lot at the bottom right but not really noticeable in games / only if looking for it in Elite Dangerous.

Amazing display though, even non techy wife said "I thought your old monitor looked great, it looks rubbish compared to this one"

Back
Top Bottom