Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Soldato
That seems fairly definitive then, will send this one back and buy an interim monitor until something better arrives (if they ever arrive).

what are people buying instead of this? waiting it out for new models i presume?

Last edited:
Associate
I have tried several Acer XB270HU's since April from 3 different suppliers. All looked amazing but suffered from bleed/pixels/dirt.
My latest one was from one of the most popular retailers two weeks ago. (I said I'd never try another but when the price dropped to £569...).
The panel I received was dated March 2015, so I'd be quite surprised if this wasn't a rejigged return. All of the previous monitors looked amazing, but for the bleed etc. However the latest one had been 'reset' and looked dull and lifeless. No matter how much I boosted the settings I couldn't get that WOW effect back. So I suppose the latest trick to reduce bleed/glow is to suck the life out of the hidden settings.

what are people buying instead of this? waiting it out for new models i presume?

Asus ROG PG279Q is coming soon... this century... but its Asus QC

Then the Acer Predator XB1 too, but its Acer QC

DELL just announced the S2716DG. A 2560x1440 screen with a 144 Hz refresh rate and G-Sync, although they are not saying if TN or IPS.

Probably try to wait until next year now and see how G-Sync IPS second generation fares.

Soldato
I dont have the luxury of waiting until next year as if when i send this back i will be without a monitor again and so need some thing now unfortunately.

Ive seen whats coming up in terms of monitors just the wait isnt an option.

Must choose some thing to last me until new quality monitor arrives with no qc issues, guess i must keep dreaming.

Associate
By the time a new monitor comes out that I want to buy the current GPU's will probably have caught up with 4k gaming at 120mhz. In about 10 years time or more.

Same boat.
Sold my Dell IPS, LG 3D and samsung 16:10.
Bought a GTX 980 Superclocked for this baby but after giving up on the Predator in June I used the awesome EVGA STEP UP to swap my GTX 980 for a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX.
It's an awesome idea, where you can upgrade your card within 3 months for the latest card and pay only the difference. As the price is in Euros, I scored big time with the current exchange rates. ;)

Associate
I dont have the luxury of waiting until next year as if when i send this back i will be without a monitor again and so need some thing now unfortunately.

Ive seen whats coming up in terms of monitors just the wait isnt an option.

Must choose some thing to last me until new quality monitor arrives with no qc issues, guess i must keep dreaming.

I've got an LG UM3495 going surplus to requirements if you want it... very nice bit of kit.

Soldato
If there is a fault on this like excessive backlight bleed, pixels etc what is the procedure for sorting this out?

a. Do you have to pay postage to send it back?
b. Can you do a swap so you are not without a monitor?

Cheers

Soldato
If there is a fault on this like excessive backlight bleed, pixels etc what is the procedure for sorting this out?

a. Do you have to pay postage to send it back?
b. Can you do a swap so you are not without a monitor?

Cheers

Its RTB in that Acer will arrange a collection via UPS free of charge. Actually you have to ring up and follow an out of date instruction sheet to get it sent back. They then take it away, try and repair it and send it back to you.

To be honest if you buy one and there is an issue or you are not happy with it send it back to the retailer/e-tailer and either ask for a replacement or get a refund straight away. Dont try and go the Acer route.

Soldato
if you do send it back to the etailer do you have to pay the cost of sending it back? its going to be expensive and monitors are not insured.....

Associate
Damn it's so hard to decide what monitor to get. I've got 1080p at 144hz and I worry that going up to 1440p or 4k at 60fps would feel like one step forward, two steps back. So if I go for higher resolution but still at 144hz... I might as well get g sync. Then I look at the monitors and people don't seem happy with them haha!

Associate
Damn it's so hard to decide what monitor to get. I've got 1080p at 144hz and I worry that going up to 1440p or 4k at 60fps would feel like one step forward, two steps back. So if I go for higher resolution but still at 144hz... I might as well get g sync. Then I look at the monitors and people don't seem happy with them haha!

I think, having tested one each of the three flavours of top-end gaming monitor recently (3440x1440 @ 60Hz IPS, 1440p @ 144Hz IPS, 4K @60Hz VN) the 1440p 144Hz avenue just isn't quite there yet in terms of build quality. The panel is great if you get a good one and in the right lighting conditions, but is let down by the chassis, QC and support and is (in my opinion) a bit overpriced when you can get a solid Superwide IPS or 4K VN for the same or less.

If/when some slightly better built and supported 1440p/144Hz/IPS screens come out, they'll likely be a really good choice (especially so if first-person-shooters are your thing, G-Sync/Freesync and high frame rates really lend themselves to the genre) but right now it's a risky buy, you are playing a lottery where a bunch of tickets have been returned by the other players and (if the word on the grapevine is accurate) getting an Acer one might see you without any RMA path if the screen you buy develops a fault.

Personally if you're happy with what you have, I'd wait a while for the next wave of screens that do what you want. If not, set yours back to 60Hz for a bit and see how much you miss the higher refresh - and if you can live with it then you can have 1440p or bigger as an upgrade now.

Soldato
ok my replacement from the E tailor arrived just now and as i type to you im using the monitor right now, good right? no, it has half the screen with lines vertically coming down the screen and the power button and menu buttons etc on the front of the screen dont even work......

spoke to E tailor and they advised of a high return rate and so its being rmad and i will be getting a refund.

So i may have to buy an interim screen to last until something new arrives with better QC etc.

Back
Top Bottom