On the look for a new job, just one problem...

Soldato
OP
Wait - you left a job because you got too hot?

Didn't you raise with with HR? I'm sure they could have got you a windo seat with opening windows or something or at least monitored the office temp - they have (or did) a duty of care towards you. Even though there is no max office temp, they should have done something if you were that uncomfortable.

Pro tip - don't be a walk over in your next job.

I was going to reply to all of the above with justified answers but won't bother as you've tagged me a walkover without even awaiting my response.

I have to avoid a lot of food triggers too (caffeine / spice) and generally try and stay away from environments which are heated. Like I say, I used to see it as a real vulnerability and keep it very secret but I'd rather just be open about it now (even make a laugh about it, stressing out isn't going to help!)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So you just feel hot or it's also accompanied by excessive sweating, hyperhidrosis style?

Just the heat and just in the face. Like I said, don't want to turn into a medical thread but I used to slap on loads of products for teenage acne which is now gone (can't have helped, may have made my skin more sensitive)

If sunshine and air con makes you feel OK then would you be open to relocation? See if there's demand for PR in Dubai or somewhere else that never has a need for central heating. It's a bit extreme but if you get a better quality of life then worth consideration.

Willing to re-locate yes but not to Dubai (I know you're just giving an example), somewhere like America or Australia would be better suggestions but I'd miss Europe lots :(

Self employed multi drop driver?

Good suggestion but I'm an egotistical arrogant ambitious chap. I'll leave it at that.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Why didn't your last place of work compromise to help you?

One of the offices I volunteer in at the moment is as hot as the damn Northern line when you walk in, it's ridiculous so I feel your pain.

Incidentally, is it potentially some form of neuropathy? Have you been referred? When I got really stressed out once, I got hot hands and feet. It was very surreal. Stress does crazy things to you.

Soldato
OP
Why didn't your last place of work compromise to help you?

One of the offices I volunteer in at the moment is as hot as the damn Northern line when you walk in, it's ridiculous so I feel your pain.

Incidentally, is it potentially some form of neuropathy? Have you been referred? When I got really stressed out once, I got hot hands and feet. It was very surreal. Stress does crazy things to you.

I've been searching for a medical answer for 5 God damn years man....the condition led me to lose my way in a very very bad way (won't go into specifics but drugs and alcohol abuse got pretty bad)

Now I've been real honest with friends and family and am looking into counselling and a job which I can walk out of the door of at the end of the day and not been raging with anger due to the environmental conditions.

In the spring / autumn and summer it's manageable - in the winter it's just hell, it even ruined my trip to New York when I went in Feb.

Well he does have a point.
Did you go to Management about it?

Yes but I don't want to bore you with all the ins and outs. A lot of work was done from other people's offices (pitching to clients where I can't ask them to change the temperature)

I worked in PR so communication is essential, I can't work from home or have a secluded area to myself.

I worked with lots of women who were constantly cold even if it was like a furnace in there. Heavily outnumbered and given death stares when opening a window.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I worked with lots of women who were constantly cold even if it was like a furnace in there. Heavily outnumbered and given death stares when opening a window.

I feel your heartache, I've also got men in the office who are just as bad.
On Friday I got into work and I was so hot I had to put my fan on but behind me are two blokes with heaters pointing at their feet.

Man of Honour
Dem women!

Sorry to here that. Sounds like you need to roll around in the snow naked, for money. If that's a thing.

I currently walk to work in just a shirt and I'm boiling when I get there. 10 minutes is all it takes.

Soldato
PROBLEM SOLVED :D

On a serious note though, it's a baffling condition which sucks balls. Has screwed my career pretty badly :(

It does sound horrible to be fair.

I get anxiety attacks on a fairly regular basis which make me overheat massively but not to your level of being all the time, usually just have to wander off on my own for a bit to calm down.

Whatever you find best of luck with it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks mate ^^ - main triggers are too much caffeine, stress, anxiety, tomatoes, nuts, citrus fruits and most of all, warm rooms.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Thanks mate ^^ - main triggers are too much caffeine, stress, anxiety, (...) and most of all, warm rooms.

Terrible choice of career then good fella as you've just listed all the basic components of media business.

Seriously though, your condition sounds so unusual that I would never ever discuss it in a job interview, ever. People will always think you are hypochondriac and make excuses. Harsh, but it's true. Look for production related jobs on set - outside of boutique soho basements and crammed backstreet offices.

Soldato
Hey chaps,

I'm sure there will be lots of jokes made out of this thread but I'm ready for them :p

Basically, I have a health issue (undiagnosed and please don't make this thread medical) which nobody seems to have an explanation for. I used to keep the health issue very personal but hell, now I'm willing to speak about it.

Essentially, I have a condition which makes me feel heated very easily - it's essentially a burning sensation in the face which is made worse by stress, anxiety but primarily, central heating.

I had to leave my previous job which paid quite well (£30,000 at 25 years old) because cold blooded women would have these horrible heaters on all day and not open a window - this caused me to overheat every day and when combined with stress and anxiety, left me leaving the office pent up and overheated every day.

I'm currently just working in a retail store whilst I get my head around a career which would work for me with the above in mind. Essentially, working in an office in the winter in a cold climate and not being able to control the temperature is going to be an impossibility for me.

I have a degree in Film and Television production so a pretty crappy one at that. My C.V is within the film industry and pretty solid in terms of achievements.

One thought was potentially become a PT but I'm aware that it takes a lot of time to gain clients and the pay isn't the best. You would think a PT would be the worst option but as long as the gym is air conditioned, I'm absolutely fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's a very tricky one - I should state that I'm awful at manual labour. Interests are music, fashion, health and sport.

Ta! :D

I think you can get medication for that.

Soldato
I go painfully (hot *****ly pain) red when I'm slightly embarrassed or stressed so to have that just from temperature change would absolutely suck.

If you're considering becoming a personal trainer then you can't be too adverse to going self employed, might be the best way to go if you want maximum control.

Back
Top Bottom