What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Night Before - If you have seen many other Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon Levitt, James Franco etc. films before then you know what to expect. The film never truely took off IMO, there was some humourous parts but never crossed in to fully laugh out loud funny. Overall entertaining enough and some good cameo's - 6/10.

Soldato
The Good Dinosaur 7/10. The animation was STUNNING. Truly remarkable water animation and the landscapes were beautiful. Not a Pixar classic but still full of charm and it certainly has its moments. Inside Out set the bar very, very high though and on this occasion fell marginally short.

Caporegime
Downfall. Pretty heavy going in parts. Quite a lot of it feels like fiddling while Rome burns, particularly Eva. There's a lot of stuff written about how it's dangerous to "humanise" the Nazi leaders and show them as fragile or conflicted, which seems strange to me. I'd have thought it more dangerous to think of them as inhuman, because it lets us think it couldn't happen again, or that "humans" aren't capable of bad things. Besides, even in their fragility, very few of them express any remorse or regret, so it's not like they're being painted somehow favourably, and it's not like the film is apologising for their actions. Hitler is positively deranged, Magda Goebbels is an obsessed zealot... It's very strange.

Anyway. Well made, well acted, very compelling.

Soldato
Sinister 2 (2015) 5/10

I loved the first movie and this was .....ok.

The only creepy moments really came when the super 8mm films were shown.

Its a popcorn and bubblegum movie, enjoyable without any noteworthy merit.

Soldato
Downfall. Pretty heavy going in parts. Quite a lot of it feels like fiddling while Rome burns, particularly Eva. There's a lot of stuff written about how it's dangerous to "humanise" the Nazi leaders and show them as fragile or conflicted, which seems strange to me. I'd have thought it more dangerous to think of them as inhuman, because it lets us think it couldn't happen again, or that "humans" aren't capable of bad things. Besides, even in their fragility, very few of them express any remorse or regret, so it's not like they're being painted somehow favourably, and it's not like the film is apologising for their actions. Hitler is positively deranged, Magda Goebbels is an obsessed zealot... It's very strange.

Perhaps one of the grimmest films of desperation I've ever seen.

Soldato
The Martian - what a movie, easily the best film I've seen all year. Finest performance I've seen from Matt Damon, just a great great movie. Really can't say enough good things about it.

Soldato
Sat with my daughter tonight who is 9 and we watched Alien together. :eek:

Comment from her....

"I nearly wet my knickers dad and why is my heart pounding" :D

First horror/suspense film she has ever seen in her life.

1979 and its still a brilliant movie. ;)

Permabanned

Comment from her....

Well done for scaring her for life...

Of all the weird/odd/scary films I've seen... the ones that scarred me the most were the original "The War of the Worlds" and "Signs"... why? Because I saw them when I was too young... if I saw them for the first time now, I'd barely notice them...

Caporegime
High Noon. It was ok, though I didn't think much of Grace Kelly. Reading about it on Wikipedia, it was dismissed by actors like John Wayne as an allegory for people being blacklisted in Hollywood for harbouring communist sympathies, and it does come out in the film once you know it's there.

Good music.

Soldato
Comment from her....

It certainly is a brilliant movie, but at aged 9, really?
She must be made of strong stuff, I doubt I'll subject my daughter to it's brilliance until a later age.

Caporegime
The Martian - what a movie, easily the best film I've seen all year. Finest performance I've seen from Matt Damon, just a great great movie. Really can't say enough good things about it.

Also watched this last night and I agree. It's a great movie and Damon plays it extremely well. An easy 9/10.

Man of Honour
I will never understand how people find Alien scary. It's the least scary 'scary' film ever - but a great tense sci fi film. I watched Terminator 2 when I was about 9, which I consider far scarier. Can't say I'm outraged by the above.

Caporegime
Tomorrowland. George Clooney Jr. and James H. C. Laurie lead an otherwise banal and talentless cast in this family fantasy film about something something parallel dimensions something the future.

The plot is barely coherent and every child who appears on screen is intensely annoying. Raffey Cassidy's ludicrously contrived accent made me want to punch her repeatedly in the spine.

Bizarrely, we're expected to believe that a girl who's old enough to drive still shares a room with her brother, who's at least 12. :eek:

It was all a dream!
:rolleyes: :confused:

6/10.

^^ +1.

Caporegime
Having just looked back at your post from when you watched Downfall I absolutely agree with you about the scene with Magda. It's weird because it's almost gratuitous in its depiction of what she's doing, and you wish it would stop, like "Enough! I get the idea!", but it is unrelenting, one by one by one...

Caporegime
Having just looked back at your post from when you watched Downfall I absolutely agree with you about the scene with Magda. It's weird because it's almost gratuitous in its depiction of what she's doing, and you wish it would stop, like "Enough! I get the idea!", but it is unrelenting, one by one by one...

Yep, I was gritting my teeth throughout that entire scene. It's extraordinarily traumatic, particularly for a parent such as myself. Incredibly powerful; a testament to the quality of the director and actors.

Back
Top Bottom