Going T Total : Any advice please

Caporegime
We have tried and failed many times. The usual no drink school night. We have stressful jobs which doesn't help plus we hate the taste of it after many times of trying. Doesn't help pubs charge the earth for it.

I go to a pub and a pint of Coke lasts about 2 hours, Max I have 2. It might be expensive for Coke in pubs but it's cheaper than 6-7 pints of beers.

Caporegime
I hope this doesn't get locked as although it's bordering on a medical thread, there will be some solid info here for people seeking self help, keep that in mind please mods :)

Associate
OP
I hope this doesn't get locked as although it's bordering on a medical thread, there will be some solid info here for people seeking self help, keep that in mind please mods :)

thanks, this isn't a medical thread. I have stated we are seeking professional help. This is a thread asking about none alcoholic drinks and advice from those who may have been through this process.

Thank you though and thank you to everyone on the thread for not GD'ing it and taking it as serious as it was intended.
Thanks to the mods too, noticed already I have not had to report a thread.

Last edited:
Associate
If i am going to the pub I drink blackcurrant soda. You should only have to pay for the mixer which varies between free and £1 depending where you are drinking. I can only drink a maximum of 3 then I go home as most people are getting tipsy anyway.

Caporegime
It seems like you guys have made a decision to quit so the only thing stopping you is will power. Therefore do not give yourself excuses, it's Christmas! It's New Years Eve! Our friends are drinking!

You guys are adults, don't give into peer pressure, you have made a commitment to quit so just do it. Once you get a run going it'll make it easier, the first step is the hardest but you have to take it and only you can take it.

I'm not tea total but I've not had a drink since June, and not been tipsy/drunk for about 2 and a half years.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It seems like you guys have made a decision to quit so the only thing stopping you is will power. Therefore do not give yourself excuses, it's Christmas! It's New Years Eve! Our friends are drinking!

You guys are adults, don't give into peer pressure, you have made a commitment to quit so just do it. Once you get a run going it'll make it easier, the first step is the hardest but you have to take it and only you can take it.

I'm not tea total but I've not had a drink since February, and not been tipsy/drunk for about 2 and a half years.

thanks you. The reason I ask about non alcoholic drinks is because I have switched to E-Cigs for 2 years with good effect. We like to drink at home, probably deal with that, but it is the going out together that is the problem when it always causes issues. We go out alone together, sometime meet up with others, peer pressure or weak will. and when we end up home is when the problems happen.

Thank you.

Caporegime
Just swap to lemonade or Diet Coke, don't even touch the non alcoholic substitute, just go cold turkey. One day at a time, one weekend at a time. One New Year's Eve at a time, don't give yourself excuses like "it's my birthday!" Just take it slowly and try not to fall off the wagon.

Good luck. :)

This.

And don't fall into the trap of "I'm not drinking alcohol so there's no point in going out". Go out, have fun with friends, but drink soft drinks instead. If you have real friends they will understand why and things won't change, you look just get "drunk" off the atmosphere instead. :)

Caporegime
I wouldn't even do that. All carbonated drinks harden and/or damage your arteries and cause serious health problems.
Best sticking to water until you have got into the habit of moderating your intake.

You're going to drink a max of one or two pints of the stuff a night, which means unless you go out 5 times a week is not going to be a major issue. You're certainly not going to be matching pints with people, there is just no way you can drink that much.

Man of Honour
I don't have any advice to give as I seldom drink (handful of times a year) but I wish you all the best and hope you both achieve your goals and well done for trying to change your lifestyle. :)

Associate
OP
You're going to drink a max of one or two pints of the stuff a night, which means unless you go out 5 times a week is not going to be a major issue. You're certainly not going to be matching pints with people, there is just no way you can drink that much.

Thanks.

Coke and Lemo make me wanna puke, rather have cordial and that is bad enough. Will power is what we need, we know.

Is there any other places / help we can try (free or paid) other than AA ?

Caporegime

Exactly, sometimes I just have half, which I buy just so I have something in my hand.

Soldato
I honestly think you would be much better off keeping away from pubs, and the associated peer pressure for now, until you are much more comfortable with not drinking.
I consider myself a binge drinker, I can go months without touching alcohol (over the whole Christmas period so far I have had 2 glasses of wine) but a few times a year I go to events where I probably drink enough to put me in hospital. Easiest way to keep off it is to not be in close proximity to it.

Soldato
Don't drink myself or my girlfriend but I think maybe changing your social situation a bit more would help. Go to the gym or a running club or any other hobby that could eat up your time. A cooking class might be good, could help with your eating problem. When I first met my girlfriend she would forget to eat, sometimes for about 3-4 days. Since being with me she has got a lot better, so I guess lean on each other for support.

Man of Honour
I would suggest avoiding the enviromnment where you normally drink. So avoid pubs and if you drink a lot at home then take yourself out of that environment by going for a walk etc instead.

Man of Honour
@OP

Have you checked out this thread? http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18543942

Lots of good advice and ups and downs from people that have gone (or are going) through similar.

I wouldn't even do that. All carbonated drinks harden and/or damage your arteries and cause serious health problems.
Best sticking to water until you have got into the habit of moderating your intake.

Somewhat uninformed. Whilst I wouldn't recommend drinking tons of sugary drinks, "all carbonated drinks harden and/or damage your arteries and cause serious health problems" is a ridiculous claim.

Back
Top Bottom