Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Permabanned
nice mileage D.P - I'm ramping mine up at the moment - but no-where near 60 miles a week

I'm up to about 32 this week so far - and I've a 5 mile XC tomorrow - Stebbing XC - great fun - involves lots of river crossings, deep bogs etc

:) aim for 2016 is to get into the 18s for 5k

XC is awesome. :) Entered two of my local leagues but only raced in 2/5 so far due to injury. Getting better now though so should ideally make the next 4/4.

Getting into the 18s again fr 5K is going to be an aim of mine for next year too. Good luck!!

Soldato
Good luck for getting there next year too then :)

XC this morning was really fun although face planted twice, once in the river once in a bog

After washing myself in river and 2 baths I'm still finding mud

Came 21st so not too bad either :)

Caporegime
yesterday run: 14.0mi 1:58:25 8:25/mi
Was nice to start upping the millage but I felt pretty rough afterwards Turns out I have come down with a cold but for a couple of hours after the run I had weird fever like symptoms, hot-cold shivering, aches, went to bed and woke up this morning feeling great except for a runny nose. Taking it easy today.EDIT:
Felt great and it is uspposed to rain the rest of the week so went out for an a very easy 5 miler but I felt fantastic strangely so did this: 8.3mi 1:08:09 8:08/mi

Last edited:
Associate
Hi

I started running a few days ago, I've only ran twice 1 mile each time, My first run was great woke up the next legs felt fine, ran again last night, the run its self felt fine, got home felt fine, woke up with a pain in my left ankle/foot when i walk, doesn't hurt at all unless i walk on it, i can't quite pinpoint if its my ankle or not, feels similar to the feeling you get with a sprain that you can walk off in a couple of mins only this won't walk off, its a sharp shooting pain if i walk on my heel there is no pain and to walk on my heel makes me look like i'm injured

My first run was in a pair of nike air max 90, these felt really comfortable but as they are pretty new i decided to use an old pair of other nikes not sure on model but i think they might be basketball trainers :D, after i started running i noticed they where not as comfortable, they felt hard with not much cushioning, I decided to finish my run and not use them again!

I think those shoes might have had something to do with my ankle pain along with being a beginner making me more susceptible to injury, Before i run again im certainly going to get fitted with some dedicated running shoes and im just hoping my ankle heals quickly and isn't anything serious, i will also be taking it easy for a few weeks until my body adapts as i literally haven't ran for about 15 year's before this. :eek:

Permabanned
Hi

I started running a few days ago, I've only ran twice 1 mile each time, My first run was great woke up the next legs felt fine, ran again last night, the run its self felt fine, got home felt fine, woke up with a pain in my left ankle/foot when i walk, doesn't hurt at all unless i walk on it, i can't quite pinpoint if its my ankle or not, feels similar to the feeling you get with a sprain that you can walk off in a couple of mins only this won't walk off, its a sharp shooting pain if i walk on my heel there is no pain and to walk on my heel makes me look like i'm injured

My first run was in a pair of nike air max 90, these felt really comfortable but as they are pretty new i decided to use an old pair of other nikes not sure on model but i think they might be basketball trainers :D, after i started running i noticed they where not as comfortable, they felt hard with not much cushioning, I decided to finish my run and not use them again!

I think those shoes might have had something to do with my ankle pain along with being a beginner making me more susceptible to injury, Before i run again im certainly going to get fitted with some dedicated running shoes and im just hoping my ankle heals quickly and isn't anything serious, i will also be taking it easy for a few weeks until my body adapts as i literally haven't ran for about 15 year's before this. :eek:

Get proper running shoes, Nike air anything are not for running, go to a running shop get gait analysis and get the right pair of shoes for your feet ;)

Associate
Yeah i am not going out again until i get new shoes now!

What advice would anybody give me in regards to training, currently i can only run for 1 mile before i have to stop from feeling like i might pass out, My legs are not what gets tired, it like i start to feel ill sick, faint and light headed, my legs want to keep going but i get to the point where i feel that bad that pushing on could be dangerous i might actually stumble im guessing this is just poor overall fitness which will improve over time?.

If i stop running then walk for a minuet or so i can go again after but not for long at all, I am wondering if its best for me to run/jog as far as i can go without stopping and then end my run, or should i go as far as i can, walk for a bit then start running again? If so how much rest/walk time should i do before is start running again?

Permabanned

What advice would anybody give me in regards to training, currently i can only run for 1 mile before i have to stop from feeling like i might pass out, My legs are not what gets tired, it like i start to feel ill sick, faint and light headed, my legs want to keep going but i get to the point where i feel that bad that pushing on could be dangerous i might actually stumble im guessing this is just poor overall fitness which will improve over time?.

If i stop running then walk for a minuet or so i can go again after but not for long at all, I am wondering if its best for me to run/jog as far as i can go without stopping and then end my run, or should i go as far as i can, walk for a bit then start running again? If so how much rest/walk time should i do before is start running again?

Start a run/walk programme say run 5mins walk 2 etc and build it up over time to 30 mins constant running, as above do couch 2 5k, it's what started me running about 4 years ago and am now a decent level marathoner.

Also check out Parkrun it's a free timed 5km run every Saturday in local parks around the world, a few people will run/walk it. Will show progress due to timing and will be something to work towards a full 5km run

Last edited:
Caporegime

Read the reply I gave you in your running thread - run slower with better form and technique.

You can do a run-walk pattern but if you are running really hard then this equates to intervals, you aren't ready for that yet and you will simply I jure yourself.

Make sure you are running slow enough to strike up a conversation, or sing as you run. Running should feel slow, almost awkwardly slow and as a begginner it might feel closer to walking to get your breathing slow enough to converse. See after 2 miles if you still think that slow pace is stupid (if it is, keep running slowly). If you are Running as hard as you can then you are racing, not running fir fitness, and will likely get injured. Faster running is a part of training races, but the quantity is typically low and even then it is rarely as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Associate
I injured myself back in October and my left leg, behind the knee, became incredibly painful when lifting my leg off the floor.

A few physio sessions later and it turns out my hamstrings and calves are WAY too tight and my hip is slightly off so need to do some lunges and other stretches to sort it out.

I'd literally just joined my local running club and haven't been able to run since. Gutted doesn't quite express how disappointed I am :(

I've got a 10k booked for February so I'm not sure how well I'll do at that, it might involve a lot of walking as I've been told to build up my running very slowly so we'll see how it goes.

Associate
In a similar position, not being able to make progress is one thing but it's only when you can't do it any more that you realise how much of an effect running has on your mental condition.

I'd not long started running "seriously" too, a couple of months. I've ran for a few years with the odd jog around the park but I never stuck with it. However in the summer I got myself into a routine and really enjoyed it, which lead to the running club.

To have gotten to the point of really enjoying the running and just feeling welcome as part of the club having run with them a couple of club nights, the injury has been such a downer and it really does affect your mental state.

I'm hoping I can get out for a 1 mile run this week at some point and build up from there. Hopefully I'll get back to the club and running with the slowest group to get back into my running. I wasn't particularly quick anyway, I run 10-11 min miles mostly, but I could feel that by going to Park Runs and the club I was really making progress. And then BAM! :rolleyes:

There is a silver lining though. I've never been one for stretches, I never really knew what to do with them. I'll certainly be doing stretches more often now!

Soldato
Literally just got back from my first ever run, having done minor bits previously, used a tread mill a few times, but never really gone outside to run as such.

Anyway long story short first run was 25 minutes, 2 miles total. 8 minute mile pace which seems ok I guess, plenty of ups and downs on the route as well. Time will tell how much that improves :)

Man of Honour
Well done, it's good to get started. One thing I'd counsel against is trying to do too much too fast, build up to longer/faster runs and give yourself time to acclimatise to the new loads and stresses you are putting on your body - a gradual increase should mean you're much more likely to keep it up and not burn out/injure yourself.

Also if you haven't already then getting some properly fitting trainers which are suitable for your gait will help immensely. Other than that have fun with it. :)

Soldato
Happy new year all,
Had a sit down with my Uncle, who's trained many a lad and lady to marathon fit.

He's advised some stuff for my training, some good approaches to build endurance.
He also advised a new goal time for the Edinburgh marathon. One he recons, based off previous race times, is more 'healthy' a goal that'll be better for avoiding injury.
There's always another marathon to get the goal on :)

Associate
Still recovering from my leg injury but the physio believes my leg is getting better and I just need to work on strengthening my leg and knee to prevent my left knee from wobbling as it hits the ground.

I've managing to get to around 1 mile before I can feel the pain start on the back of my leg and I've got a 10k on the 7th February. It's been voted as the best English 10k so really hoping I'll be able to run in it, even if it means walking a mile or two.

Soldato
Going to train for 5k, do odd parkrun. Couldn't go higher than 5k, no idea how people do marathons. Maybe try a 1500m on the track late summer. Any track runners here?

Soldato
I couldn't imagine running over 3 miles either

but once the addiction of running kicks in, and as you get fitter ..... :)

I run on the track in the summer, but only for training

Yesterday was Essex XC Championships, tough 7 mile XC

Soldato
Today's hill run was cancelled due to flooding at the bottom of the hill closed the road.

Ankles felt fine for this run, but got pain in my calf and the muscle beside the shin on my right leg.
Dunno if it's just muscle complaints due to the month of rest.... will just have to keep and eye on it.

Associate
I did 1.2 miles last night and no leg pain. I've been making more of an effort to do daily exercises and stretches and it looks like I'm finally getting back.

I'm planning on increasing by 0.3 miles or so every few days and build myself up fairly slowly. It's my local Park Run's 1 year birthday this weekend so might go along to that and take my time with that.

I've got 4 weeks to get myself ready for the 10k and I'm finally feeling hopeful I'm getting somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom