• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
eh, I've never had a problem with any AMD drivers, but then I am only running a single 290X

run afterburner or something that can display your gpu core clock, I found mine ranging from 500mhz to 880mhz when the default is 1010mhz it could never reach it.

this is the only issue I had with the 15.12 crimson drivers

Associate
Oh the automated installer thats been broken for ages had to d/l it manually for a long time now. Usually though it says its downloaded the latest driver when it hasn't and then says "you have teh latest driver installed" when you try again and you havnt. Marvellous.

n.b anyone tried removing Crimson drivers? It simply won't remove itself properly have to DDU it everytime. On both an R9 390 and a 7950. Priceless.

I had no issues removing Crimson and rolling back to 15.10s; 15.12s weren't stable for me;

I'd either get bsods or hard locks; rolling back had a couple reboots; bsods and now stable.

I like Crimson; but just not there yet for my 290; hopefully next release it will be.

Soldato
run afterburner or something that can display your gpu core clock, I found mine ranging from 500mhz to 880mhz when the default is 1010mhz it could never reach it.

this is the only issue I had with the 15.12 crimson drivers

Nope mine is locked at my core clock speed so long has am hitting my frame rate cap.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Associate
15.12 (Crimson) release notes

Known issues

Known Issues
[82789] Total War™ : Rome II : Choppy gameplay may be experienced
[82788] Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Frame freezing during gameplay may be experienced
[82794] Just Cause 3 - The system may hang when task switching on systems with AMD CPUs and GPUs
[82775] Just Cause 3 - Flickering may be experienced during gameplay and on menu screens
[82778] Anno 2205 - Water splatter may flicker during in Ultra high mode on 4K displays
[82779] Fallout 4 - Gameplay may be choppy in AMD Freesync™ mode in Ultra mode at 1440p resolution
[58978] Dirt Rally - A crash may be experienced starting a new race with AMD Crossfire™ and AMD Freesync™ enabled
[59475] Elite: Dangerous - Poor performance may be experienced in SuperCruise mode under Windows® 10
[78139] PowerDVD - 3D playback may fail on some configurations using an HDMI 2.0 dongle
[79428] Starcraft 2: Flickering may be observed in the 'Episode 3' campaign
[80251] Fable Legends: The DirectX® 12 benchmark may fail to launch on some configurations
[80836] Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Flickering or poor performance may be experienced when running in AMD Crossfire™ mode
[81402] Assassin's Creed Syndicate - A crash may be experienced when setting game to Ultra-High graphics mode
[81403] Flickering may be observed on some Freesync monitors while playing Wolfenstein - The New Order and Battlefield™: Hardline with Vsync disabled
[81448] A system restart may be experience when waking the system from sleep mode on some systems with Intel processors
[81489] Unable to create 4x1 or 2.1 portrait mode SLS with 4K displays
[81651] Star Wars™: Battlefront - texture corruption may be experienced if the game "Field of View" setting is > 100
[81736] Call of Duty Online - the game may crash if the Printscreen key is pressed on a 4K monitor
[81777] Launching a game from the Game Manager may launch on a single display after enabling and disabling AMD Crossfire™ in a 3x1 AMD Eyefinity™ setup
[81809] A crash may be experienced if an HDMI™ display is a cloned display device on an HP Envy 15 notebook
[81844] Unable to change resolution if a wireless display is the only connected display
[81856] Marginally increased power consumption may be observed during video playback
[81859] Flickering may be experienced on some monitors when AMD Freesync™ is enabled
[81915] Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Building textures may be missing on some AMD Freesync™ displays with Vsync enabled
[82083] Ark Survival Evolved - Poor performance may be experienced when running in AMD Crossfire™ mode
[82093] Star Wars™ : Battlefront - Some flickering may be experienced in shaded areas of the screen while game levels are loading
[82213] Star Wars™ : Battlefront - Some users may experience minor flickering or corruption at different game location or while viewing the in-game cinematics
[82387] Assassin's Creed Syndicate - The game may crash if the Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay" is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"

I know I don't have Freesync but those issues started around the time AMD introduced new Winodws 10 drivers along Crossfire Freesync support. I don't know if something is messed up between AMD eyefinity and AMD Freesync but I get this crash when launching a Dirt rally race, works 1 time out of 5 try.

http://techreport.com/news/28602/catalyst-15-7-drivers-enable-freesync-with-crossfire
AMD released its Catalyst 15.7 graphics drivers today. This WHQL driver enables FreeSync with CrossFire multi-GPU setups, and it's also supposed to provide some Windows 10 feature support like HEVC decode for Xbox Video Player, game streaming from Xbox One consoles to the PC, and WDDM 2.0.

I'm pretty sure they might have broke something with Crossfire and Eyefinity when trying to implement Freesync + Crossfire.
Note that Freesync absolutely requires a Display Port connection to work.And that my issue is related directly to display port synchronization.

I think this might be a good clue for you AMD.

Associate
I have just had two hours of the Driver Encountered an Error and recovered ERROR ....

everything has been working fine and I was only playing EVE not exactly A TAXING GAME ..

I am stumped as to why this was happening..

The only thing I did do was enable Eyefinity ......

Last edited:
Associate
[83112] Radeon Settings driver update check is not available for minor driver versions
Thank you RTG. That's what I was talking about.
[82789] Total War™ : Rome II : Choppy gameplay may be experienced
Oh, that's terrible. PowerTune playing with clock speeds terribly. And even forcing overclock doesn't help.
20FPS dips and overall low FPS in Rome II and Attila. Still no solution.

Last edited:
Soldato
FYI, with my ongoing issue with the 2730Z since the upgrade to 15.12.

The monitor on Christmas day decided that couldn't recognize either DVI nor DP, after starting a bad flickering out of the sudden on Christmas Eve. Clean windows upgrade didn't helped either. So the ancient and trusty 2410T out of the back room and back into service after 7 months.

Downgraded to 15.11.1 (total wipe of 15.12 with uninstall and DDU afterwards).
New cable installed and put the 2730Z on. Nothing initially. Both DVI & DP weren't recognized, while simple restart wasn't working either. Cool boot and at last some "life". However the screen is still flickering like mad with DP, and bad screen quality (and lighter flickering) with the DVI.

The 2730Z is flickering even if I connect the netbook that has an i3 igp only. So looks the monitor is a goner and tomorrow morning going to start the process of returning it for repair.

Soldato
I seem to be having stuttering issues since I've upgraded to Crimson from CCC. Gameplay seems to hitch a lot. Not really sure what's going on.

Video also seems to hitch as well.

Check to see if your core clocks are fluctuating widely, there's been lots of people reporting that issue

Soldato
I hope it's for all version. Because otherwise update notification feature is useless.

Not really..
The avg Joe beta drivers isn't something they use. They can come with issues.

For having best driver available whql is the better choice.. For more advanced users wanting to use beta drivers they can by downloading manually.

Soldato
Trying crimson drivers on Windows 10 for the first time and I cant get VSR setting to stay active. Everytime I restart it is off again. Am I missing something?

Soldato
So I set up a second monitor to check out what was going on (bearing in mind I previously had 3 monitors, so this shouldn't be an issue), and it won't go past 1001Mhz on the core and 1500 on the memory for some bizarre reason. All since Crimson.

It's only in Fallout that it seems to stutter, but then I see it's capped at 60FPS in that game (lame) so the core is going up and down constantly.

Soldato
Still getting black screen on windows loading with crimson and windows 10.

Think it's just a compatibility issue with afterburner. I assume afterburner actually resets the clocks when it shuts down and applies voltage and clocks when you boot up.

With Crimson afterburner isn't putting the clocks back to stock when you shutdown so it's booting up with the higher clock speeds but without the higher voltage that is causing the black screens.

Soldato
So I set up a second monitor to check out what was going on (bearing in mind I previously had 3 monitors, so this shouldn't be an issue), and it won't go past 1001Mhz on the core and 1500 on the memory for some bizarre reason. All since Crimson.

It's only in Fallout that it seems to stutter, but then I see it's capped at 60FPS in that game (lame) so the core is going up and down constantly.

Isn't this a feature of PowerPlay or ULPS (or something like that) that reduces the clockspeed to what is needed to maintain the fps required (in your case, 60fps).
I get it in a number of games if I cap my framerate my clockspeeds reduce.
In Dota 2 using the console command I can see my clockspeeds change as I raise or lower the max fps (300fps, 60fps, 45fps, 30fps, 15fps, etc.).

If you disable VSync or increase graphics settings I'd imagine you'd see an increase in clockspeeds (assuming your clocks are set to go higher than 1001Mhz).

Maybe this was something you had disabled previously but installing the new drivers has reset it?

Soldato
Trying crimson drivers on Windows 10 for the first time and I cant get VSR setting to stay active. Everytime I restart it is off again. Am I missing something?

same problem for me

VERY VERY annoying

I normally find out first when booting Fallout 4 and it crashes immediately, as set to a resolution above my monitor res

Soldato
Isn't this a feature of PowerPlay or ULPS (or something like that) that reduces the clockspeed to what is needed to maintain the fps required (in your case, 60fps).
I get it in a number of games if I cap my framerate my clockspeeds reduce.
In Dota 2 using the console command I can see my clockspeeds change as I raise or lower the max fps (300fps, 60fps, 45fps, 30fps, 15fps, etc.).

If you disable VSync or increase graphics settings I'd imagine you'd see an increase in clockspeeds (assuming your clocks are set to go higher than 1001Mhz).

Maybe this was something you had disabled previously but installing the new drivers has reset it?

I am completely aware of it adjusting the clock to meet the frame rate target.

For fallout 4, I see it isn't recommended to disable the V-Sync as it actually affects how the game plays (silly silly game). Not sure if there is a way around the 60FPS cap that doesn't affect in-game play.

Anywho.. I reinstalled the latest beta drivers (15.11.1) and it made no difference. I checked MSI for an Afterburner update and it said there wasn't one available, so I checked the web, and lo and behold, 4.2.0 is out (Mine was 4.1.1). So I uninstalled Afterburner and installed the new version and it now appears to have the clocks showing on the sliding now, and not dropping to zero.

Later I will try re-enabling the reg hack to get 50% power limit on again and see if it works as expected.

Back
Top Bottom