• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Quick question. I've just loaded up Red Alert 3 for the first time (owned it for ages as part of the C&C collection) and I'm getting flickering on some textures at anything above minimal graphics quality settings. Is this a known issue with the game?

I'm on a 295X2, running 15.12 on Win10 and the issue is the same irrespective of changes to AA settings, and with/ without Crossfire disabled fully using a profile.

Thanks. Will report to AMD if others don't get this.

Soldato
This may have already been asked, but do the devs have plans to integrate the "Radeon Additional Settings" into the main Crimson control panel? It seems like a bit of a botch job to still have the old CCC kicking about :p

I do really like the new Radeon Settings though, and 15.12 seems pretty great :)

Soldato
This may have already been asked, but do the devs have plans to integrate the "Radeon Additional Settings" into the main Crimson control panel? It seems like a bit of a botch job to still have the old CCC kicking about :p

I do really like the new Radeon Settings though, and 15.12 seems pretty great :)

Yeah that's the plan in a video with pcper and amd they said they will add other features into Radeon settings.

Associate
Clockblocker solved my issue with Crimson + FO4 taking a dip to sub-30fps indoors. Also fixed the issue of Firefox not scrolling smoothly (wavy, shimmering when scrolling page up and down).

Soldato
ok, so this is my plan for my 390.

i am going to format my PC and install Windows 10.

previously i had the clock bouncing issue but removed it before i found out it was a driver issue.

shall i install the latest version of Crimson and then do the gpu tweak to sort the clock issue out or shall i install 15.12\15.11.1?

Last edited:
Soldato
why does VSR seem to reset on every boot ? to say its annoying would be putting it lightly

it seems to default to off

just about to try the very very latest beta

Associate
Does anyone else get random desktop icons movement when I switch on my TV.
What I mean is I switch off TV at night with icons positioned certain way, and when I switch it back on, some of the icons at the top or middle are repositioned. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to **** me off. I don't know if it is the cable or the card or VSR.
I still run desktop at 1080p even though I have VSR enabled for games. TV is Sony Bravia, connected through HDMI.

Associate
Does anyone else get random desktop icons movement when I switch on my TV.
What I mean is I switch off TV at night with icons positioned certain way, and when I switch it back on, some of the icons at the top or middle are repositioned. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to **** me off. I don't know if it is the cable or the card or VSR.
I still run desktop at 1080p even though I have VSR enabled for games. TV is Sony Bravia, connected through HDMI.
Is the tv on before the computer boots up? If it's not then the icons will reposition as it doesn't know the desktop res.

Associate
When the tv is off chances are the pc resets it's display size hence the icons move. Turning the tv back on won't of itself move them back. Reboot does because as windows boots it now knows the res. Probably a util or something to keep things where you want them.

Soldato
I've just been doing a bit of reading on AMD Dual Graphics (hybrid crossfire with an APU and discrete GPU). On the AMD page here it seems like the 78x0 APUs only work together with R7 series cards.

Are there any plans to expand compatibility to R9 cards? And would there even be any point in doing so? I'm just wondering if there could be any cool benefits to getting a 7870K over an 860K... or would the GPU part of the APU basically be useless in this scenario?

Cheers,

Su

Last edited:
Associate
UPDATE: BAD UPDATE

Just a little history: I was on driver 15.6 until September. It's then I decided to try 15.9.1 and notice the flickering issue on desktop, but back then I also noticed a bug while playing games...every games but I had so many issues recently and trying to fix the 2d bug that I forgot about the games bug. I tried many drivers to soon realize that any drivers above 15.6 was causing issues (15.7 and up), the issue mentionned in this thread actually.

I also found out a PSU problem I had with my Lepa G 1600 http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2455424 . So I RMAed my PSU and bought an EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 and my shutting PC issue went away. This process took around a month or so and I just received my RMAed PSU this week. So long process: diagnose PC, realize defective PSU, send PSU to RMA, buy another better PSU, wait for the new PSU, receive new PSU, install new PSU, cable management. This whole PSU problem made me forget about the 15.7 and up bug.

It took a while to diagnose the 2d clocks issue/flickering and to try to find out the best workaround so I settled for GPU Tweak 2d clocks (idle) set at 1250mhz so the desktop flickering went away. So with GPU tweak set accordingly, this issue in the video doesn't appear anymore on desktop

So with all those issues I had for the past two months were solved and put aside, I decided to start back gaming, gaming for long period... it's then I realise the game stuttering bug was still present when playing for a little while. I have been working on that issue for the past two weeks and I now have a conclusion: since 15.7, there is a bug issue with display port cable/monitor with 2d and 3d.

In the video bellow, I can play for like an hour or less without issue and then stuttering and sound cracking appear after a while, I have to unplug display port cable (or restart PC) to remove the bug and then I can play for another hour before the bug gets back... as shown in the video below:

So in other words, the bug I'm experiencing in this thread is appearing on 2d clocks and 3d clocks, the only workaround I have is for 2d clocks. For 3d clocks I have to unplug and plug back the DP cable everytime the bug appears during games (as shown in the video above)and by the way it appears in EVERY GAMES and even if I quit a game and go in another game, the bug will be there too, the only solution is to restart PC or unplug DP cable and plug it back.

No issue with 15.6 but missing many crossfire profiles.

PLEASE AMD, fix your damm things

Caporegime
OP
I've just been doing a bit of reading on AMD Dual Graphics (hybrid crossfire with an APU and discrete GPU). On the AMD page here it seems like the 78x0 APUs only work together with R7 series cards.

Are there any plans to expand compatibility to R9 cards? And would there even be any point in doing so? I'm just wondering if there could be any cool benefits to getting a 7870K over an 860K... or would the GPU part of the APU basically be useless in this scenario?

Cheers,

Su

I don't think so as the extra GPU power is likely to go unused as the APU would not be strong enough. The fastest GPU for an APU would be the R7 370 but i would only consider using that GPU if you're using a 7870K and its been overclocked. Otherwise the R7 250 would be a good match.

Soldato
@rlitos
I have same issues mate and has generated great annoyance against AMD.
15.6 were fine but after that world broke loose.

in addition some games have better performance with cf off than on with 15.12.
Like attila and swtor!!

Im that close to sell the 295x2...

Soldato
I have a single 390X and I do not have a freesync monitor. I'm getting severe downclocking in certain games e.g. Dreamfall Chapters and Mind a Path to Thalamus, particularly when using Vsync. However, this also happens to an extent when using a frame limiter.

From my investigations, the higher the framerate the worse it is e.g. in dreamfall chapters when I'm getting 130fps+ unlimited, if I have vsync on it will lock to 30FPS or if using a limiter it will be below 60fps whereas when I am closer to 60fps it's more likely to be fine e.g. if the fps unlimited is 70FPS I'll usually get 60FPS locked using Vsync. This is very evident in Mind a Path to Thalamus as I get around 300fps when it is unlimited but 30fps when using vsync, although with this game this is fixed by reapplying my settings every time I start up the game. (I have reported these issues to AMD and they only happen with the crimson drivers, not catalyst).

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think so as the extra GPU power is likely to go unused as the APU would not be strong enough. The fastest GPU for an APU would be the R7 370 but i would only consider using that GPU if you're using a 7870K and its been overclocked. Otherwise the R7 250 would be a good match.

Have you read my post above yours?? Can you update me on that issue?

Back
Top Bottom