Faulty Item - what can i do?

Soldato
OP
Who would you expect to do it? :p

Maybe you can ask them to change you more for them to repair or install?

Though if they suggested this option, i doubt they will off the service

If the soldering was bad, you would have a fault ages ago. If the solder was that crap stuff that comes away quite easily, its wear and tear (considering it was good for three years).

It seems you are adamant that the fault is with them and you deserve some form of compensation or something from them, but you have no idea about the fault. If i were in your shoes, i would look at it as if i had broken the item myself and would be either looking to repair or replace it myself, at the cost of my own time and/or money.

That's just it. No one knows what the fault is (okay so TM have a good idea) but the retailer doesn't. All I'm asking is that they at least review the case and not cut me off.

Soldato
OP
You could always pay somebody else to repair it. Offering to supply you a replacement PCB is actually very good service. I'm unsure as to what you think you're entitled to.

You make it sound as if I'm being ungrateful. I'm totally fine with them offering a replacement. I just didn't want to fit it myself and potentially make things worse.

Man of Honour
Would you entertain a claim after 3 years from an item you have sold via Ebay or the MM ?

As pointed out, SOGA is not an extended warranty.

3 years is a pretty good return, i've had to replaced TVs' after 18 months before

Soldato
From everyones current view of things now though, the fault is most likely not the manufacturers fault. Though you are entitled to have it reviewed, it doesn't seem worth it for you, as the product lasted a reasonable period of use and beyond what they guaranteed. For the manufacturer, it costs them time and money as well. This is likely why they offered to send the board for 60.

I just dont understand why you want to have it reviewed when you have been offered a method of repair at a reasonable cost when you dont stand to gain anything going an alternative route. Are you jsut looking to try your luck? Genuine question lol

Associate
That's just it. No one knows what the fault is (okay so TM have a good idea) but the retailer doesn't. All I'm asking is that they at least review the case and not cut me off.

Really OP you've had it for 3 years, its broken, realistically whats for them to review?

Soldato
OP
If I can get it reviewed and repaired without spending another penny then happy days. But I need to know whether or not they will do that. Before opening up the base.

If the retailer tells me to sling my hook then I'll take the PCB from TM and have it installed.

Soldato
The onus is on you to prove an inherent fault, there is nothing for the retailer to review unless you present a case to them of what exactly you think made it faulty at time of purchase.

The onus is only on them inside the first 6 months.

You can't just tell them 'review the build quality', that's bordering on meaningless.

Soldato
If I can get it reviewed and repaired without spending another penny then happy days. But I need to know whether or not they will do that. Before opening up the base.

They are in no way obliged to repair or replace the item given the circumstances. I cannot imagine anything coming from the review unless there was something in there that potentially put you in danger.

All too often companies have to deal with customers who feel they are entitled to anything they can get their hands on and taking this approach will work against you.

You can say its worth a stab but it is your own time you are trading. You say you think it should last longer because you spent 300 on it, what was the guarantee and how many years do you think you should have got?

Also, if you think you should have gotten a longer guarantee, why didnt you say something at purchase or take out extended warranty?

To me it just seems you are trying your luck. You dont know if anything is wrong and you want them to examine it for faults when it is your job to do so if you want to make a claim. If you want some expert opinions, get some pictures of the circuit boards and post them up but i doubt there will be much to it. A dead component or loose solder wont be enough to warrant a claim as it is past guarantee.

Last edited:
Associate
More fool me for expecting it to be more robust then....

Anyway the email has been sent... Any bets on what the response will be?

The retailer won't do a thing because they don't have to, as said it's down to you to prove the fault was there when you bought it.

If you can find loads of others with the same fault you may have a case.

Caporegime
Yeah, if the failure is down to a component not having the correct size of heatsink installed or a power supply not being beefy enough and this has resulted in a failure then that is what the 6 year term mentioned in the law is for. It's not a "well I would have expected it to last longer" warranty.

Soldato
I will write you a nice detailed report on the old pcb of you send it over.
but said report will cost you £250.

just buy the new pcb

Soldato
If only every company was as good as Logitech, they often send out replacements for items well out of g'tee.

A Thrustmaster T500 dying so soon does not sound good, I'm an avid sim racer, my 2008 Fanatec GT3 RS wheel and Clubsport pedals have had on average well over 1 hour per day of use. Except for a period early on, when the sensor wheel got greasy, I was then given instructions on how to clean it and it has be golden since.

Back
Top Bottom