Skyscraper on fire in Dubai

Caporegime
Looking at that makes me think how London has surely one of the worst skylines in the world.

Compared to other places London has nothing to make it stand out quite the opposite in fact, it's crap.

wait seriously? its got a giant oval green penis, a massive **** off circle, a giant spike and a huge draw bridge with two towers.

UO9t3yz.jpg

its a pretty unique blend of old castles, palaces and steel modern structures.

Associate
Looking at the pictures and videos, it is shocking news and there will most definitely be some casualties I would think. Thoughts will go out to anyone who may be affected but with some luck all/most will be out safe.

Permabanned
So no new building can have any beauty or architectural merit ! :rolleyes:
I wish reading was one of your few abilities :rolleyes:

Burj Al Arab Hotel is arguably one of the most beautiful buildings on earth
You don't get it, Tefal does. It is a hotel, on a flat bit of sand, by the sea. People go there because the standard of service is world class (and there are shops to spend money in).
The sail concept for a building wasn't even new.

This is their idea of taste, its just a joke, (or a fetish for Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts)
i5oYvto.jpg

If they weren't embarrassed about the poverty of their own architectural history, then they wouldn't have needed to import architects from the west to create their sad little holiday Butlins for posh people.

ME architecture boils down to cut and paste building elements like the arch and the tower, with elaborate graphic/mosaic type designs.
These are not unappealing in themselves, but sadly that is all they have created for centuries. If they had somehow managed to extend that solid concept then I'd have a little respect for Dubai, but they haven't and I don't.

I'm giving you benefit of the doubt here that you didn't mean to edit out my own edit of this post. I removed the quote and therefore also your response to it.

Gilly.

Yeh, like this ?

Not my favourite building but it is only an office block and it did win a Stirling prize

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Soldato
Looking at that makes me think how London has surely one of the worst skylines in the world.

Compared to other places London has nothing to make it stand out quite the opposite in fact, it's crap.

London's skyline doesn't stand out because it's not full of generic glass skyscrapers? We've protected the views to St. Paul's Cathedral for a reason.

Caporegime

Really? Looking at that makes me think of the amazing history of London. The modern commercial center of the world with the tower in the foreground?

Permabanned
If Crazy wants an example of where Arab architecture could have moved forward and have been accepted as having merit, then the Arab Institute Building in Paris is pretty good.

It's understated, enigmatic, simple and fits into a modern city.

iJMFBBj.jpg

XQGx34u.jpg

But they abandoned all that in Dubai for superficial ****

see, it's not just me that thinks so.

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...mers-lashed-to-a-clothes-horse/135067.article

-

Last edited:
Associate
Abu Adnan al-Shishani (Adnan the Chechen), the ISIS self-proclaimed minster of foreign affairs vowed that his terrorist organization will carry out deadly attacks against America’s oil-rich Arab allies , namely United Arab Emirates (UAE), unless these countries desist from supporting Washington in targeting Islamic State positions in Iraq and parts of Syria.

“Insha'Allah (God willing) , We shall punish Arab puppet rulers with ignominious and humiliating deaths and bring inferno to their corrupted cities,” declared al-Shishani in a gathering of ISIS Caucasian fighters in Mousl –Iraq’s second largest city seized by Islamist militants in June last year.

Soldato
Love London's skyline, just a handful of tall buildings makes it easy to pinpoint certain areas with ease. Old meets new and its full of history. It might be dirty but I love London.

Back
Top Bottom