34" UltraWide decision

Soldato
OP
Not the best photo. Room still in a mess and flash photography. No black light bleed AT ALL. Tiny bit of ips glow in corners but it'll settle. Very impressed with the build and screen. My only gripe really is I do prefer VA screens to IPS but that's being picky. Gaming is lovely and you really benefit in some games enormously in perception. I do find myself looking left and right more often but that's what you do isn't it when the screens are wider and your close up too it. Gaming I do sit back further so it's a case of more benefits than drawbacks.

Last edited:
Soldato
All in. Just need to sort cables and wall bracket, will do that another day. Love it.

Welcome to the club :). Nice job on the wallpaper too :).

Give it a few days use and it gets better you will find, the colours and the black levels all settle down nicely.

I know what you mean by VA vs ips, you like the blacks as I do but sadly with VA you get blacks (sometimes they crush the shadow detail I find too) but colours are off/worse. Give it time to settle and you will notice it gets better with use.

This is the big problem I think some people have they get a new monitor unpack it and freak out it looks funny (confusing ips glow for BLB and BLB for ips glow) and they have not given them time to wear in and settle.

Mine took about week to two to really shine. The looking left and right thing will stop too because you will naturally find a comfortable position/distance in time to not do that. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well please so far. Just tidying up and setting up applications to make use of the size. A bit of a difference to my VA 32" 1440p Monitor. Now where will that go

Soldato
OP
Wall mounted my AOC. Looks nice as did my previous 32" 16.9. Thing is because this monitor is slimmer but longer the power cable and dp cable stand out more. Need it flexible so I can move the monitor on the arm. Anyone found any fancy cable strips/covers to go round the cables or simply best just putting white tape around them ?

Soldato
Wall mounted my AOC. Looks nice as did my previous 32" 16.9. Thing is because this monitor is slimmer but longer the power cable and dp cable stand out more. Need it flexible so I can move the monitor on the arm. Anyone found any fancy cable strips/covers to go round the cables or simply best just putting white tape around them ?

A right angle displayport cable and right angled computer power cord, will hide the cables from view at the bottom so you can work them around the back easier. Just google them.

Soldato
OP
All but done.

1452344258_20160109-2032726183-picsay.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Trust me its not curved at all. Probably the flash giving the illusion in that photo. I tried the curved ones (at least 3 different 34" ultrawides) and my eye-site tells me its curved and i can clearly see the mild distortion even on mild curved displays . You either don`t mind it or see it, or like me go "oh no that`s not right at all !" I currently still sit too close to ultrawides. i will adjust ;-p

Soldato
The AOC is flat I own one, you can't tell on a picture, but the dell 34" curved which I had too was curved and showed a fish-eye effect when you had items at the edges of the screen and started to move them to the centre and it would then vanish the fish-eye effect. That's why I sent it back and purchased the AOC they are 100% flat and no strange effects from a curved screen and no back light bleed, just the normal ips glow that settles over time with use, mine now hardly has any ips glow in the corners and vanished completely from the top, just the left corner which is going away too. Also the curved screens all that I used and checked had Back light bleed in the corners too and the top and bottom of the corners.

Curved is a gimmick that has caused more problems than it has solved, seems a lot of people agree with me too that have purchased or used them. Until they fix the back light bleed and the strange fish-eye effect I will not be looking at them again.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fad-check-does-anyone-actually-want-a-curved-monitor/

Soldato
Wellibob's screen looks identical to mine (U3415W) and trust me, it's curved. :p

Good top-down graphic on here.

I have the AOC and had the Dell before it and sent that back, they don't look identical in real life, the Dell is also slightly smaller as it's curved and if you look carefully you will see it has some strange effects on parts of the screen (fish-eye).

On pictures as they are taken from the front they look the same but in real life they are not. Take some pictures at certain angles and you will see that. The AOC is perfectly flat.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes my AOC is flat. None of this slightly curved effect which I agree is a gimmick and unless the image being displayed is designed for a curved screen, some content viewed upon it will look odd to quite a few observant people. Quite a few people prefer the curved screens but I am not one of them. Going ultrawide is a big leap from 16.9 but even seeing these screens and the large screen TVs they are trying to sell us I for one am not purchasing one. If you like the curve fine but I won't be told it's more imersive as that's all in the eye of the beholder surely.

Associate
What's he input lag on the AOC. I'm torn between the AOC U3477pqu, benq BL3200PT and the lg 34um57

I believe the benq has an input lag of 23ms, the other 2 I can't find info on although I think the lg wins with free sync at 18 but can not confirm.

Would lime to know about the aoc

Back
Top Bottom