*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Soldato
Need some help guys, just put OpenElec on my HTPC, if I shutdown/restart I get no audio, changing the audio source in Kodi settings and back again resolves it. However if I put it in suspend when it wakes the sound is fine.

It's a HD6450, HDMI straight to a TV currently.

Soldato
I have 2 and would buy same for other rooms. Very fast, easy to install with openelec and play everything perfectly unlike all android boxes.

I wouldn't say they are very fast at all. They are fine for the money but other options are much faster. I am soon to retire my rpi2 as my bedroom device when I replace my nuc in the sitting room and move that into the bedroom.

Associate
Got one of these Android boxes yesterday 'fully loaded' with Kodi on it. When I managed to find something I could actually watch (some random TV episode) the picture quality which was supposed to be HD was terrible. I went upstairs and downloaded the same episode from elsewhere and the difference was incredible - 1080p. When you have Netflix and the ability to download whatever you want, why would you possibly want to go down this route?

Is it for people who are nostalgic for VHS copies of movies in the 80's?

When you switch them on they promise so much, yet deliver so little.

Man of Honour
Got one of these Android boxes yesterday 'fully loaded' with Kodi on it. When I managed to find something I could actually watch (some random TV episode) the picture quality which was supposed to be HD was terrible. I went upstairs and downloaded the same episode from elsewhere and the difference was incredible - 1080p. When you have Netflix and the ability to download whatever you want, why would you possibly want to go down this route?

Is it for people who are nostalgic for VHS copies of movies in the 80's?

When you switch them on they promise so much, yet deliver so little.

What was the quality of the source material,my Blu-ray rips are no different in quality compared playing direct from the disc, without the hassle

Soldato
What was the quality of the source material,my Blu-ray rips are no different in quality compared playing direct from the disc, without the hassle

He is talking about those apps that some sellers "fully load" to be able to stream content. Illegal for all intents and purposes. It is no wonder the quality is sub-par, most are community maintained which means most streams are broken and those that do work are usually horrible quality.

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

Associate
I went upstairs and downloaded the same episode from elsewhere and the difference was incredible - 1080p. When you have Netflix and the ability to download whatever you want, why would you possibly want to go down this route?

I think you're missing the point of kodi. You can get the source material from wherever you choose - kodi just gives you a nice interface to play it.

What you've basically said is you dont see the point of your new 4k TV because your old vhs tapes look rubbish on it.

Soldato
I think you're missing the point of kodi. You can get the source material from wherever you choose - kodi just gives you a nice interface to play it.

What you've basically said is you dont see the point of your new 4k TV because your old vhs tapes look rubbish on it.

A lot of people do not realise that 1080p != 1080p. Knowing the source is incredibly important, as is encoding settings and especially bitrate.

If I am correct about him talking about using those sorts of add-ons then it is a pretty clear-cut case of this happening as well as not understanding that Kodi is not a one-stop-shop for free streams.

Kodi should only ever be used to stream your own library of source material, be that full Blu-ray, rips or whatever. Forget streaming add-ons, they are (for the most part) rubbish. IMHO of course.

Associate
Kodi should only ever be used to stream your own library of source material, be that full Blu-ray, rips or whatever. Forget streaming add-ons, they are (for the most part) rubbish. IMHO of course.

OK that's not the reason nearly everybody I know at work etc uses Kodi or Amazon Fire Sticks etc, but I'll try and get my head around why you would stream your own material this way - as opposed to putting it on a memory stick and into the side of your TV or in a console, which works flawlessly.

Soldato
OK that's not the reason nearly everybody I know at work etc uses Kodi or Amazon Fire Sticks etc, but I'll try and get my head around why you would stream your own material this way - as opposed to putting it on a memory stick and into the side of your TV or in a console, which works flawlessly.

Because it allows you to have access to all your media all the time, from multiple devices and displayed in an easy to use way with added info about the media...

Associate
I wasn't actually talkng about my TV at all, I'm perfectly happy with that. It was the material available - I thought that was pretty obvious.

And I thought you understood my analogy :rolleyes:

Your use of bad source material is no reflection of the quality of your TV. Just as your use of bad source material is no reflection of what kodi is capable of. If you put garbage into kodi, it will output the same garbage.

but I'll try and get my head around why you would stream your own material this way - as opposed to putting it on a memory stick and into the side of your TV or in a console

If that works for you, then go with that. For many people though, having their full library of movies, home videos etc etc, all available at the click of a button, using hardware acceleration, being able to output HD audio to their amps, and giving them a vast array of playback features from refresh rate changes to post processing, are what kodi is all about.

Soldato

Your confusing Kodi with Chromecast, Amazon etc - they are not the same at all and have never pretended to be.

Sounds like your bashing a product you know nothing about.

Soldato
For many people though, having their full library of movies, home videos etc etc, all available at the click of a button, using hardware acceleration, being able to output HD audio to their amps, and giving them a vast array of playback features from refresh rate changes to post processing, are what kodi is all about.

Not to mention the metadata (scraping) and having a single database for all devices in your home.

Kodi never was and never will be a medium for streaming media. Just because people have created add-ons to do this (and as you have seen yourself, not very well at all) does not mean this is what Kodi was ever originally intended to do.

Stick to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc for streaming. Keep Kodi for your own internal library of media.

Sounds like your bashing a product you know nothing about.

To be fair, with all the eBay sellers touting it as such, you cannot really blame people.

Last edited:
Associate
The really sad thing is Clearcuts view of what Kodi is becoming very common :(

I wish he could see the likes of my setup and see just how awesome it really can be and not the "fully loaded" junk that so many people are buying in to.

It is of course the same thing as Music most people are happy with MP3 quality , some prefer lossless and a small few nerds still like Vinyl.

With video we get the people that even with an HD TV will still happily watch an SD stream, those that like everything HD and then we get the nerds who are Blu ray only and high quality rips.

Then there are the idiots that will watch terrible quality streams with crackly audio and cammed blockbuster films : (

What boils my blood of course is that people equate the above as the same as streaming a 50 GB Blu ray rip from a NAS.

Associate
as opposed to putting it on a memory stick and into the side of your TV or in a console, which works flawlessly.

Thats OK if you only have a couple films,my system has 500+ films, 60+ tv shows (over 2000 episodes).
This took up a lot of space and scanning shelf after shelf trying to find a particular film or just to decide what to watch was becoming a PITA.
Now I have a front room that doesn't resemble a dvd shop and finding a particular film or deciding what to watch is now more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom