*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Caporegime
Anyone here using an Amazon Fire TV 4K box for Kodi? I bought a Fire TV stick and although it seems to run Kodi adequately, it does seem to be a little laggy and unresponsive at times.

Associate
Anyone here using an Amazon Fire TV 4K box for Kodi? I bought a Fire TV stick and although it seems to run Kodi adequately, it does seem to be a little laggy and unresponsive at times.

i bought one at xmas when it was £64.99.
cannot fault it.. so much snappier than the fire stick my daughter has in her room

Man of Honour
Which begs the question which laws is it acceptable to break? Your rip is a pirated copy...

Oh come off it, I understand that from a legal standpoint it is illegal.

But let's be fair, what's wrong with me buying a Blu-ray and ripping it to play on Kodi. It isn't piracy, I haven't "stolen" the media, and the studios/actors etc have got their paycheck from me obtaining the film.

Associate
Oh come off it, I understand that from a legal standpoint it is illegal.

But let's be fair, what's wrong with me buying a Blu-ray and ripping it to play on Kodi. It isn't piracy, I haven't "stolen" the media, and the studios/actors etc have got their paycheck from me obtaining the film.

Hey I am not the morality police just pointing out a level of hypocrisy. The studios/actors etc have entitlement to a second pay check due to your rip. ;)

Associate
So if he ripped it and then destroyed the original copy would this mean he now only legally owns the one copy?

I am no expert, but as far as I understand it the licence is generally for the media on which it is supplied.

But to add to the greyness is the ripped copy still only one copy if it can be accessed simultaneously on a central server by multiple devices? :confused:

Associate
Honestly if you own the physical media for example a Blu ray disc do you honestly believe any judge would convict you of a crime if you backup that disc to a media server ?

I started to do this years ago in particular to protect my DVD collection and then my Music collection, this is NOT the same as downloading pirate material.

This is no different in any way shape or form to ripping a CD to a phone or your car stereo and no different to using SKY + to record a movie from the BBC and keeping it forever.

There is indeed a grey area over legality but really you think you might go to court for this ?

Man of Honour
Honestly if you own the physical media for example a Blu ray disc do you honestly believe any judge would convict you of a crime if you backup that disc to a media server ?

I started to do this years ago in particular to protect my DVD collection and then my Music collection, this is NOT the same as downloading pirate material.

This is no different in any way shape or form to ripping a CD to a phone or your car stereo and no different to using SKY + to record a movie from the BBC and keeping it forever.

There is indeed a grey area over legality but really you think you might go to court for this ?

Absolutely not, but from a legal perspective it's isn't any different to someone buying one of the "fully loaded" Kodi boxes and streaming a bucket load of content they don't own.

Both are quite simply in the eyes of the law wrong, but only one is what most of us consider morally wrong.

Caporegime
Got one of these Android boxes yesterday 'fully loaded' with Kodi on it. When I managed to find something I could actually watch (some random TV episode) the picture quality which was supposed to be HD was terrible. I went upstairs and downloaded the same episode from elsewhere and the difference was incredible - 1080p. When you have Netflix and the ability to download whatever you want, why would you possibly want to go down this route?

Is it for people who are nostalgic for VHS copies of movies in the 80's?

When you switch them on they promise so much, yet deliver so little.

they are for people who aren't tech savvy.

more than half my office has one now. 2 people in my team where talking about buying them the other day and probably already have.

it's for people who don't know how to torrent basically. my office has quite a lot of old people in their fifties, etc. they just don't care about quality so long as it's free.

think of it as a crap version of netflix in terms of picture quality but the content isn't as limited you can get anything on there so in that regards it's a whole lot better. can you watch live football on netflix? can you get anything that's current? nope , netflix is crap all the content is ancient.

the mentality of my office is cancel sky and the £35 a month you save the box pays for itself after a month. yes it's fiddly but the more you use it the more learn and you figure out where to get the better quality streams.

i've bought one for the wife and in laws as they are so easy to use.

what you need to realise is the majority of people don't give a rats *** about quality so long as it's watchable it's good enough.

Caporegime
Thanks to those that recommended the 4K Amazon box, it's buttery smooth running Kodi, it's lovely :)

The stick is still a worthwhile piece of kit for the price, but I wouldn't fancy using it as a main.

Back
Top Bottom