• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
<ramble mode on> :p

I had a 560ti playing at @ 1440p previously and as you can imagine everything was on minimum and VSYNC on half (30FPS). The first thing I did after launching was check the settings and found it had auto-configured itself because everything was a mixture of high/very high.

I launched a single player story complete save where I have fast cars, loads of weapons/ammo etc just to test how it runs. It seemed ok with the odd stutter but the most annoying thing was this CTRL+F2 overlay in the top corner so I alt-tabbed out to try and find what it was. It seems it was this raptr thingy so I closed that. I alt-tabbed back into game and it was complete unresponsive freezing and then jolting forward every second or so. I never had issues alt-tabbing with my 560ti so immediately thought something was up.

I exited the game and started again and immediately noticed performance was lower than the first time I launched it. I decided I should pay closer attention to the settings because I didn't really expect to get away with very high settings @ 1440p with this card. I know it's aimed at 1080p users so I'm always prepared to turn stuff down if I need to. I noticed textures were on very high so I dropped them to high. The game forces a restart if you change texture settings so I did that. Now the game was unplayable - it had become slide show city even though I had turned down a major setting.

At this point, I knew it was pointless trying to tweak settings as each restart of the game was making things worse. Perhaps restarting windows would have helped but that's not a realistic solution.

I had checked this thread before the card even arrived and had noticed Loadsamoney mention the 15.9.1s so installed those and it's been running great. I do get the occasional stutter when driving but nothing has affected any mission gameplay - I've started a brand new storyline save.

Have you tried installing without gaming evolved app? I tried using that once and it messed up a few of my games settings, i havent installed it since.

Permabanned
AMD's RAPTR recording editor got a major update today. Quotes from the in-Raptr news article.

The latest version of the AMD Gaming Evolved client (restart to auto-update) makes sharing your favorite gameplay moments easier than ever. Video recording now works for virtually any PC game, a new video capture mode automatically records full gameplay sessions, and built-in editing tools let you edit out highlight clips in seconds.

To celebrate, we're partnering with our friends at AMD and Sapphire to offer video cards, memory, and solid state hard drives to lucky winners who share their favorite moments to Plays.tv using the #vidoftheday hashtag. For more details on that, click > here <.
There’s a new way to share your favorite gaming moments. With our video replays feature, Raptr will automatically record a full video of your game session and make it available for editing immediately following the game. This new mode now eliminates the need to hit a hotkey while playing to capture a moment.

You can configure how much footage you want it to store (4.2GB by default or roughly two hours of footage) and it will automatically delete older videos to make room for new ones.

You can turn Game Replay on (or off) in the client Home tab.
New and improved editor

The Raptr client's built-in video editor is super easy to use, and we've updated it so that clipping and sharing your favorite videos from a long game session only takes a few seconds.
Your best moments deserve to be seen. Save them in the cloud (and not on your hard drive!) and share them with friends and fellow gamers on Plays.tv. Join in on the action and see what millions of other gamers are sharing.

Permabanned
Have you tried installing without gaming evolved app? I tried using that once and it messed up a few of my games settings, i havent installed it since.

I haven't had much go wrong that was down to Raptr being installed however the new recording feature is on by default which was annoying the first time as I started a game and then had to leave the game to change the recorder from on too off, It was then automatically turned back on when Raptr got the next two updates, Funnily enough todays update did not change my settings back to default so it remained off for once.

I was forced to turn games off to change the recorder because of a Crimson issue which is that most games won't let me alt-tab anymore, some games crash when I try to alt-tab and some simply refuse to shrink the game down and go into a bordered state. Hopefully they'll fix that. I'm on the very latest Crimson from 2 or 3 days ago, version 16.2.1.

Last edited:
Soldato

Just tried it now, using DDU between each install.

It was just about playable on 16.2.1 but not something you'd put up with for too long...

Also:

EjgGvsJ.png

UrGMsjq.png

Luckily for me, I don't have any games that need fixes from newer drivers so overall, I'm pretty happy with the card. It's so quiet too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does that work with 5.1 sound yet? I tried using after I installed windows 10 and got no sound on my videos and reports around said it didn't support 5.1 sound yet.

No idea I'm afraid as I use a headset (so stereo)...

But in January I recorded a load of ingame footage using Raptr, and then some in Windows 10... And I'd have to say the Windows 10 seemed smoother and more trouble free. eg: Once or twice the Raptr footage was corrupted.

Soldato
hmmm thought id update to the newest driver and see what its like. For some reason it made tomb raider run like a slide show now lol. Wish i has just stayed on 15.12 or whatever it was.

Soldato
hmmm thought id update to the newest driver and see what its like. For some reason it made tomb raider run like a slide show now lol. Wish i has just stayed on 15.12 or whatever it was.

did you install over previous drivers or remove then re install?

Caporegime
OP
Thought this was funny :D

I love DDU btw

J7aZyzU.png

DDU is a more thorough tool, it removes some registry entries and folders that the AMD tool leaves behind. For example, saved game profiles.

As I'm part of the global customer care team at AMD, i recommend the user of either tool, depending on the severity of the issue.

Associate
Matt, could you guys make sure that No Mans Sky is running well when it is released in few months. PLEASE! This is first game in a long time which I am about to pre order, and I don't want any slideshows. Thanks

Soldato
The 16.2 driver has fixed my issue where I get a screen tearing affect when I wake the PC up from sleep that started with the Crimson drivers so I am happy about that. :)

Soldato
DDU is a more thorough tool, it removes some registry entries and folders that the AMD tool leaves behind. For example, saved game profiles.

As I'm part of the global customer care team at AMD, i recommend the user of either tool, depending on the severity of the issue.

If you're referring to AMD Cleanup Utility then I'd advise anyone not to touch it as it managed to wipe all my driver.inf files including the USB drivers (which are Intel!) and it seems I'm not the only one:

http://superuser.com/questions/7444...d-all-amd-drivers-mouse-and-keyboard-complete
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2639547/amd-cleanup-tool-wiped-usb-drivers.html

spent hours trying to get the drivers back on without a working keyboard and mouse in the end managed to get into windows by booting into recovery mode in DOS which installs its own USB drivers and then booting the Windows explorer shell from there. Oh boy.

If you're referring to something else then fair enough.

Soldato
If you're referring to AMD Cleanup Utility then I'd advise anyone not to touch it as it managed to wipe all my driver.inf files including the USB drivers (which are Intel!) and it seems I'm not the only one:

http://superuser.com/questions/7444...d-all-amd-drivers-mouse-and-keyboard-complete
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2639547/amd-cleanup-tool-wiped-usb-drivers.html

spent hours trying to get the drivers back on without a working keyboard and mouse in the end managed to get into windows by booting into recovery mode in DOS which installs its own USB drivers and then booting the Windows explorer shell from there. Oh boy.

If you're referring to something else then fair enough.

Not possible am sorry this is false!
I have used this program countless times and all it does is look and finds AMD drivers..

They is zero code in the software to look for intel Drivers. What you saying is completely wrong!
The first link he has an AMD board and the second link he just failed! Simple as that tbh AMD software doesn't have any ini files to look for Intel its just not possible LOL If you remove your Intel USB drivers you have done something else other than running the clean up program..

Caporegime
OP
I'll field this one.

The first version of the AMD Uninstall Tool, released years ago did remove USB drivers and such from Intel and AMD motherboards. The new version does not remove anything Intel.

The AMD Clean Uninstall Utility, which has been around since February 2015, removes driver/motherboard files and left over AMD folders. If you are using an AMD motherboard it will remove the Motherboard drivers (Sata, USB etc) as well. However all those drivers are included in the AMD Crimson driver so will be reinstalled as soon as you update.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll field this one.

The first version of the AMD Uninstall Tool, released years ago did remove USB drivers and such from Intel and AMD motherboards. The new version does not remove anything Intel.

The new version which has been around since February 2015 removes driver/motherboard files and left over AMD folders. If you are using an AMD motherboard it will remove the Motherboard drivers (Sata, USB etc) as well. However all those drivers are included in the AMD Crimson driver so will be reinstalled as soon as you update.

I stand sort of corrected then, I guess I didn't use the program when it also removed Intel drivers.

Back
Top Bottom