Hearts of Iron 4

Associate
wish the wiki was better, now started as America and went fascist. conquered most of south America, but got terrible attrition and not sure how to get less attrition.

South America is basically mountains, jungle and/or really hot which all cause attrition. There is also quite poor infrastructure which hinders the supply lines, causing more attrition. You can always click the supply overlay (F4 i think) and it will tell you how many brigades a region can support without supply attrition. If this is the case all you can do is move brigades out of the region, repair the infrastructure (it's usually damaged by combat), upgrade it via construction menu or get politicians/support companies to reduce it . If you create a battle plan and some units are being held back with a yellow exclamation point it means that there is not enough supply in the region they are supposed to go to and the AI is holding them back.

Man of Honour
The game definitely needs some balance changes, but I'm enjoying it so far anyway.

Surviving as Austria was good fun, turtled on Vienna until I get rescued by the UK/USA and the Soviets.

I did something similar as Poland, expect I was my own faction against the world lol.. Or so it seemed. In the end I had a few remaining divisions dug-in and sitting in Warsaw and the Soviets could not get me whatever they attempted. I quit the game in the end as it was a bit of a disaster but the Soviets lost over 1 million men trying to get me to surrender. I kept them at bay with 49 divisions for the best part of 3 years.

Soldato
I did something similar as Poland, expect I was my own faction against the world lol.. Or so it seemed. In the end I had a few remaining divisions dug-in and sitting in Warsaw and the Soviets could not get me whatever they attempted. I quit the game in the end as it was a bit of a disaster but the Soviets lost over 1 million men trying to get me to surrender. I kept them at bay with 49 divisions for the best part of 3 years.

You can win quite convincingly as Poland, annex all of Germany easily. Just got to gear up for war from the get go.

When Germany declared war on me I had 100 divisions on the western front, 24 around the northern bit, and another 24 at the Slovakia border.

Soldato
Played my first game as Italy, was relatively successful but made some rookie mistakes that led to me not being the first to reach Paris. I had managed to take over most of Africa and had gotten the Balkans too.

Decided to restart as Russia and have promptly stomped on everything. I was planning to play a defensive/friendly game with Germany, even avoided the anti-fascist goal tree. Invaded Japan as soon as they declared on China, stomped them pretty easily throughout Korea and invaded their homeland from the north through the small peninsula I owned. It was just a short hop and I got 4 divisions over which were enough to take the northern port on the main island and hold it until reinforcements arrived.

Unfortunately just before Japan capitulated they joined the Axis. I had a NAP with Germany until mid 1940 but I was fighting the rest of the Axis and when the NAP was up they declared as well. Luckily by this point I'd forced Italy to capitulate with the help of Britain and France wiping out Italy main and me wiping out the Balkans and Hungary. With the Japanese factories and Eastern Europe under my belt I managed to out produce Germany in everything apart from in the air which I just ignored, I think I was down to 30~ fighters at the end.

Pushed to the French border and up through half of Denmark by the time the UK somehow got the capitulation from them. Managed to nab all of Germany, Northern and Southern Italy (the central part got puppeted I think), a bit of Morocco, Sardinia, Sicily and a port in the Balkans. I took the northernmost island of Japan but that was all I got from them as they were liberated as democratic in the next peace turn.

Just mosying around now, easily the most powerful nation in the world, the better part of Asia is Comintern, only Poland and Hungary (both smaller than originally) are not aligned. Greece and Romania are Comintern, Yugoslavia is Allies. I smashed Turkey as they joined the Axis as I rolled into Berlin (the fools) and took most of that. China and Communist China are both in the Comintern, going to be interesting to see what happens there!

All in all I think the game seems to be too easy but I guess I started with the equivalent of baguette in EU4 and am playing on normal.

Man of Honour
Apparently it is too easy by far and there are a lot of complaints on the forum. It's partially due to balancing and partially due to the fact the AI doesn't know how to build divisions relevant to the theatre. It makes some really stupid decisions. I once saw a hundred German divisions trying to cross into Sweden from Denmark, whilst Germany was being invaded in two places by the British. It also doesn't change economics, so it never goes into total mobilisation. I'm glad I stuck to my guns and refused to play as a major. I'm sure it will be heaps better once the patch is out.

Last edited:
Associate
I am loving it, totally addicted to playing Japan for the past week and gradually getting better and trying new tactics and strategies. Nules are a complet waste of time and not worth researching.
I get so drawn into the game my wife was annoyed when she came down for breakfast to find me still at it. it is amazing how 5am can come around so fast lol

Associate
As Argentina I had taken all of south America apart from mexico as they joined the allies. I managed to stage a coup in UK and USA but both are far to strong that they are taken back in a week, I cannot compete against them as manpower is always an issue.

Man of Honour
As Argentina I had taken all of south America apart from mexico as they joined the allies. I managed to stage a coup in UK and USA but both are far to strong that they are taken back in a week, I cannot compete against them as manpower is always an issue.

How did you get on taking Brazil? In my Argentina game they are a power-house.

Associate

As Argentina I conquered, South and North America with surprising ease. Even GB has capitulated and I'm only left with Philippines and British Raj to mop up. USA was unexpectedly easy, I seemed to face only garrison troops. The key for me (I think) was artillery, it's ridiculously overpowered at the moment and almost feels like an exploit. I also didn't join the Axis, but instead formed the Argentine League along with Venezuela so they may not have perceived me as a big threat.

Associate
I gave up with Argentina, in my firsy playthrough I really struggled against brazil, turned into a two year war, I started a new game with my new knowledge and made sure I didn't spread my front to much by taking other counties, I decided to hit them as soon as I annexed Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay and was able to steam roll them pretty easily. Playing as Germany now and it 1950 and I'm trying to invade the USA but its damn hard, I managed to get a foothold on new York and some of the surrounding areas but I cannot add anymore troops dues to supply. I still don't have an airport so no air support and I keep failing other amphibious assaults.

Man of Honour
Don't know why but USA has changed to Fascist and is now the Free American Empire. I'm playing Germany so have they given up or something?

No, they have changed their ideology. This is good for you as they are now fascist. They are more likely to join your faction. How did this happen do you know? I've not seen a Fascist USA yet.

Associate
I made the USA facist, but they are still at war with me haha.... This game can be annoying, playing as UK in another game and ive seriously kicked butt with the help of canada, taken afica with ease, spain and france not long after than out of nowhere the USSR declares war on france, greece and USA which then drags me into a war and before i can get into germany i now face germany and russia! This instant military access when fighting same country needs a nerf.

Associate
Hmm well I don't know, in my Germany game the Russians had instant military access when they started a war against the allies and same thing has happened again but against me. Feeling a little smug, managed to surround 50 divisions of Russian and German troops and destroy them :D. They have the Russians down correctly though, soon as I wipe out a bunch of divisions they are soon replaced.

Man of Honour
Hmm well I don't know, in my Germany game the Russians had instant military access when they started a war against the allies and same thing has happened again but against me. Feeling a little smug, managed to surround 50 divisions of Russian and German troops and destroy them :D. They have the Russians down correctly though, soon as I wipe out a bunch of divisions they are soon replaced.

Have you got the new beta installed though? It's not a usual steam upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom