Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
So I guess I should have put largely racist in my initial makeup of the typical Leave voter. Shame, I thought we had maybe moved forward as a country somewhat decades later...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
I know in the short term, this may cause an impact, but in the long term those that claim to know are lying. We have not left the EU yet either and will not do so until at least 2 years time. I was also disappointed in Cameron who threw his toys out the pram and decided to quit as the campaign did not go his way. I had respect for him beforehand, not anymore.

We know, that is why we are upset. We have traded relative economic prosperity for complete uncertainty, an economy that could be in turmoil for years and years, and for what? Absolutely no guarantee we will be any better off at all.

Voting to leave was an incredibly stupid thing to do. A complete gamble with terrible odds.

Associate
So two options:

Renege on the decision and have half the electorate peed off at the politicians and have racists going nuts at the government. But the economy becomes more stable and back to almost where we were. Look like complete morons by the world by doing it in the first place but a big sigh of relief.

Go with the vote, have half the electorate going mad at the politicians, the racists continue to go after non-white british people, ruin the economy and unstabilise the global economy and look like bigger morons to the rest of the world.

More to it than that but that's the basics...

Caporegime
It's amusing (inspired by listening to Radio 2) to hear that Cameron obviously said before the referendum that the result will be delivered whatever it is, then the leave result comes in and he nopes right out of there and resigns.

Talk about bottling it. He really should've kicked off article 50, then dropped the mic and walked off.

Soldato
TLDR, went to stevenage on sunday to do shopping and had 3 individual cases of people telling me to **** off home. having lived through the early 80's in the same town I used to get racially abused pretty regularly. It hasn't happened for over 25 years, yet it has now started again and people are trying to say it is just casual racism that always existed and has nothing to do with the exit vote.

If that is the case the surely I should have been getting some of this "casual racism" up until now. This is not just me reporting such incidents, there are far more cases around the country and we are basically being told to deal with it and that it's not correlated in anyway.
Are you sure this is happening to you? Are you sure you haven't just heard about this on social media but give it more credibility by claiming first hand?

Soldato
TLDR, went to stevenage on sunday to do shopping and had 3 individual cases of people telling me to **** off home. having lived through the early 80's in the same town I used to get racially abused pretty regularly. It hasn't happened for over 25 years, yet it has now started again and people are trying to say it is just casual racism that always existed and has nothing to do with the exit vote.

If that is the case the surely I should have been getting some of this "casual racism" up until now. This is not just me reporting such incidents, there are far more cases around the country and we are basically being told to deal with it and that it's not correlated in anyway.

Look on the bright side of things.
You never got your head chopped off in the middle of a street. Now that's racism

Old and disabled people get picked one by people. But do you here them moaning? NO. Sticks and stones.

Soldato
Quote from the former Governor of the Bank of England

"I don't think people should be particularly worried - markets move up, markets move down. We don't yet know where they will find their level and the whole aspect of volatility is that there is a trial and error process going on before markets discover what the right level of stock markets and exchange rates actually area. What we need is a bit of calm now, there's no reason for any of us to panic."

Don't know why this statement isn't given more prominence. Everyone just needs to take some deep breaths and relax a little.

Caporegime
Have the racists ever stopped to think that maybe some people of skin colour other than white may have voted leave too?

That would be embarrassing for them to discover.

Soldato
Quote from the former Governor of the Bank of England

"I don't think people should be particularly worried - markets move up, markets move down. We don't yet know where they will find their level and the whole aspect of volatility is that there is a trial and error process going on before markets discover what the right level of stock markets and exchange rates actually area. What we need is a bit of calm now, there's no reason for any of us to panic."

To a certain extent the 2008 crash saw three, iirc, dips in the FTSE as it headed lower. This does not meant to say it will not happen. The Governor is of course trying to calm the markets.

Caporegime
I'm more surprised that other Brits aren't stepping in when these racists attack.

If I saw anything like that happen near me, I'd be right there backing the victim. Being an ex-pat Saffa, I have zero time for racist idiots, which is also why I get annoyed by all Leavers being tarred as such.

Associate
So two options:

Renege on the decision and have half the electorate peed off at the politicians and have racists going nuts at the government. But the economy becomes more stable and back to almost where we were. Look like complete morons by the world by doing it in the first place but a big sigh of relief.

Go with the vote, have half the electorate going mad at the politicians, the racists continue to go after non-white british people, ruin the economy and unstabilise the global economy and look like bigger morons to the rest of the world.

More to it than that but that's the basics...

Option 1 is simply not going to happen now. PM already resigned. Decision is made.

Here's what I honestly believe could (and hopefully will happen)

Go with the vote, have half the electorate going made for A WHILE whist things are rocky, racists continue to be scum like they always have anyway, re-adjust the economy without really impacting global economy, look like a truly sovereign nation to the world and prove that centralisation of power isn't the only option

Caporegime
It's amusing (inspired by listening to Radio 2) to hear that Cameron obviously said before the referendum that the result will be delivered whatever it is, then the leave result comes in and he nopes right out of there and resigns.

Talk about bottling it. He really should've kicked off article 50, then dropped the mic and walked off.
Everything hes done since submitting himself to adding this to his manifesto just to retain power of the UK government in case the UKIP vote strengthened has been him bottling it...

Probably the most courageous thing hes done was him delaying article 50 - since then all Ive seen is no one wanting to touch the poison chalice that is the Conservative leadership.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom