Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think it's fair to say the referendum has emboldened the far right and, in their eyes at least, legitimised their views.

There are at least two anecdotes from people on these very forums of brazen racism not experienced in decades.

It makes me sad.

I count 3.

But according to some they should grow up and stop whinging.

Man of Honour
I think it's fair to say the referendum has emboldened the far right and, in their eyes at least, legitimised their views.

There are at least two anecdotes from people on these very forums of brazen racism not experienced in decades.

It makes me sad.

Definitely does seem to have embolden some who'd normally keep their racist views to themselves - couple of middle eastern looking types walked past the pub yesterday and a group at one table were shouting "go home" at them - felt quite ashamed.

Soldato
The point is that this is not mere 'casual racism', it's violent in-your-face racism and the perpetrators are citing the Brexit as justification.

This has been explained several times already.

Yeah and none of them have reported it to the Police. They're using it on an Internet forum to score a few points against the Leave campaign and Democracy

Soldato
I just don't see the point of citing anecdotes about casual racism, there was racism before the referendum as well, dozens of videos. These people need punishing under law, not used to make a cheap political point.

it's not anecdotal or casual though is it?

what part of **** off back home or get out of our country is casual?

Casual racism is referring to the local shop that is ran by a pakistani or indian chap as the **** shop.

Casual racism is making jokes.

as soon as it becomes aggressive and steps up to being verbal or physical abuse it is not casual.

Just becuase it always existed doesn't mean we should not be informed that it's happening.... And I agree it should all be punished.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quote from the former Governor of the Bank of England

"I don't think people should be particularly worried - markets move up, markets move down. We don't yet know where they will find their level and the whole aspect of volatility is that there is a trial and error process going on before markets discover what the right level of stock markets and exchange rates actually area. What we need is a bit of calm now, there's no reason for any of us to panic."

Soldato
The point is that this is not mere 'casual racism', it's violent in-your-face racism and the perpetrators are citing the Brexit as justification.

This has been explained several times already.

They still do this in Australia where you live?
How come you never say nothing about the masked remain lot attacking people?
But your ex PM says
"Ex-Australia PM John Howard praises UK Brexit decision"

Associate
It appears we don't have much of a shadow cabinet left, they're dropping like flies.

One thing that's componding the whole aftermath, is the political fallout that's currently happening.

Soldato
They still do this in Australia where you live?
How come you never say nothing about the masked remain lot attacking people?
But your ex PM says
"Ex-Australia PM John Howard praises UK Brexit decision"

john howard is a well known outspoken racist...... He even denied Australia has a racism problem....

Soldato
Bore off. I never said it didn't happen.

FYI I would've 100% been the guy in the crowd to stick up for you, as I always do in situations like that.

you effectively did by citing that it's only casual racism, you clearly do not know what casual racism is versus in your face bigoted hatred for people that are different.

Soldato
There will be people in parliament who are looking for means to do just that. Article 50 has not been triggered, the referendum has no legally binding effect, and there is widespread support for the EU in parliament. People will be looking at ways to avoid the exit, without bringing down the democratic structures of the UK and it's possible they may find one.

Personally, I think anything short of a full exit from the EU - at least in the short term - would be a big mistake for the country. Yes, it will do huge damage to our economy, our standing in the world, and our political influence for all the reasons I've spent months arguing but ignoring the result of the referendum would also do huge damage to the politics of the UK and may even have more damaging impacts in the longer term. The EU is important to our nation; democracy is more important.

So wrecking the country is OK as long as we continue with this non binding result? Sounds a bit like a death wish.

Caporegime
At what point to people accept that they were not invited here but came anyway en mass . There are millions of people that have not just been tolerated but massively pandered to by the left. It has gone on for so long and been thrust upon people who didn't want it. of course you are now seeing some backlashm it's been repressed for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom